Getting in Shape

when to buy the dress - POLL

Hi ladies - I want to lose AT LEAST 20-30 pounds before I even go and try on dresses.  The wedding is over 11 months away - but I'm starting to wonder how long I can wait before I need to go.  I know it all depends on where you go, what kind of dress you get, the alterations needed, etc...but on AVERAGE...

(P.S. You don't need to click the "never order less than 6 months" - I know that :) I shouldn't have put that option!)

Re: when to buy the dress - POLL

• I am in the process of losing 35-40 lbs (26 so far) and I went shopping when my wedding was 10 months out and I was 20 lbs down.  Even though I plan on losing 15 more (at the time of trying on/buying) I just bought a size down from what fit me at the time.  I figured that also gave me extra motivation to insure I stay on track, and it's completely doable because even if I only lost 1 lb/month between then & the wedding, I would still reach my goal  ;)   Even though I know I'll reach it long before that
  • I think around six months is a good time. You can still continue to lose weight since the dress can usually be taken in two sizes. Anytime less than six months, you will stress. But you already know that Smile
    Slowww down, little ticker. Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • I bought my dress 9 months out with 20 lbs to drop.  I didn't want the stress of buying a dress that was too small-what if I got injured or sick and couldn't work out or watch what I ate as well?  Dresses can be taken in a lot easier than they can be let out.  I was told that I needed to order9 months out because it would take 6+ months for the dress to come in and then a couple months of alterations.  I was lucky to find someone to do alterations 1 month before, but not everyone has that convenience.  HTH!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jessmoejessmoe member
    First Comment
    Thanks ladies!  I'm glad I still have at least 2 months at the least!!
  • glam70sglam70s member
    First Comment
    I think 6 months is not long enough. Depending on the designer, dresses can take anywhere between 4-6 months coming in. If it's late coming in, that would be stressful, and even if it's on time but you choose a dress that takes 5-6 months, then you'll have no time for alterations. When I was shopping recently they told me 8 months is the bare minimum, but they prefer 10..
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i made mine right away! something to look at and remind me of what i'm dreaming about!Smile
  • I am in the process of losing about 150lbs. I am already down 60lbs. And my goal is to loose 100lbs before my wedding. What I have desided to do is go dress shopping this June, 10 months before my wedding.  Pick out the dress, then ask them when is the latest I can order my dress to have back in time for multiple fittings before the day.  Then I will come back when they say is the latest and then get measured for the dress. That way it is closest to the size I can get. Cause I am droping a size about ever 4-6 weeks now. That way the alterations wont be as expesive as ordering a dress at size 16, and bringing it down to a 12 or lower.
  • jessmoejessmoe member
    First Comment
    More great advice, ladies!

Kel - that's especially a good idea...also, BIG CONGRATS on already losing 60 pounds!! That is so awesome!
  • I don't know about you all but it took me FOREVER to find a dress. If you're a discriminating bride, I would give yourself plenty of time to look and then once you find something, to work towards your weight loss goals. I ordered my dress eight months before my wedding.
  • i think 6 months maybe  pushin it i would go ahead and start looking then if you find one you love u can ask how long it takes to get the dress in. I orderd my dres in oct and it came in at the end of may. & i dont get it altered until jul (wedding sept. 3) inc ase i loose or gain (hopefully loose 5-10lbs)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards