Honeymoon Discussions

Ireland?

Anyone go to Ireland for their honeymoon? We'd be going the end of June. 
I originally wanted to do something beachy and tropical but I watched "p.s. i love you." last night and can't stop thinking about Ireland. Any thoughts?

Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ireland?

• While I do not profess to be an expert I did live in Ireland for a while and have been back to travel more since then. It is a beautiful country with generous people. Be prepared for rain at any time of year. I moved back home in June and it was just starting to have more sunny days where I was living, just west of Dublin.

How long do you plan to go for? Will you rent a car or do public transportation? What are your interests? I would be happy to help answer any questions you can think of. Other good resources:

Tourism Ireland

Discover Ireland
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I went to Ireland (for the first time) in October! It was amazing!  My firend and I self-toured the areas of Cork, Killarney, and Shannon.  I totally reccommend going -it-alone.  Travelling is very easy and user-friendly. Road signs are plentiful and give plenty of advance warning of turns of diretion changes. And I can't say enough about the wonderful and generous laid-back people.  I loved it so much I was ready to move!  And driving "on the other side" takes a day to get used to - then it's no problem!  Plan to stay 10 days cause you're going to love it so much you won't want to leave.  Plus, travel to and from takes a full day.
  • We went to Dingle as part of a backpacking trip in '05.  It was really beautiful, and we loved exploring the whole peninsula but we did experience quite a few rainy, chilly days despite it being the middle of August.  There are a few pictures toward the end of my planning bio.  We also spent a day in Dublin, but we didn't like what we saw (it just felt like another big city). My best friend just went there a few weeks ago, and she felt the same way.  The countryside is much more charming.  We were too young to rent a car at the time so we relied on Bus Eireann to get around which worked out great.   
    BFP #1 Sept. 2011 EDD 5.25.12 missed MC on 11.17.11 | BFP #2 4.30.12 11dpo EDD 1.10.13 | Grow, baby, grow!
    01.03.09 {MARRIED BIO}
    imageimageimagePregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for your replies! I definitely want to go at some point in my life. FI really wants to go somewhere tropical and beachy. I could do either. We are thinking we are going to put money aside (if we can) the first year or two and if we don't have children by that point we are going to go for our anniversary! 
    Picnik collageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Our honeymoon in Ireland was H's first time, my second.  I've been obsessed with the place since my first visit in '98, and now he is too; we plan to go back every other year, pretty much, and keep seeing more.

My married bio has a blog of our honeymoon travels, feel free to read it and get ideas - and ask me if you want/need any more info!
  • I went to Donegal in 2001 and loved it. It's a gorgeous country and the people are so incredibly friendly.

My extended family is planning a trip to Ireland in summer 2010. FI and I plan to take a short honeymoon after our wedding in April to someplace local, then we will go along with my family to Ireland in the summer as our big trip. We also hope to go to Italy, just the two of us ... we'll either fly from Italy to meet up with my family when they get to Ireland, or we'll fly over to Italy as they're flying back to the U.S.A. Hopefully about a week in each country.
  • Even if not for your honeymoon, go! It is a beautiful country with amazing history (castles, abbeys and ancient sites EVERYWHERE), gorgeous landscape and super friendly people. I went back-packing there this summer and even the super cheap hostels are as nice as most American chain hotels. One suggestion that most people seem to miss is do visit Northern Ireland. The Giant's Causeway and Carrick-a-Reid has some of the most incredible cliffs. Just avoid Kilarny(SUPER tourist trap) and Belfast wasn't anything special, unless you like big cities. Dingle is also spectacular, and less crowed than its neighbor Kerry. Also, though its colder there are beaches, for sure on the Causeway coast that are as white sanded and blue watered as the Carribean. It was amazing. Sorry its so long, I just love it there, I plan on going back I hope.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards