Massachusetts-Cape Cod

Private Residence Costs (Insurance, tenting, lighting, etc.)

Hi all! I am debating between working towards a wedding at a private residence (we've found a couple potential homes) vs. going to a place that is more versed in weddings.  One consideration is cost! I would love any information, or even estimates, of costs for tents, tables, insurance, etc.  Also, any information on what needs to be obtained from the town concerning this type of wedding would be helpful.  I'm trying to avoid surprises that may occur after I've committed to this idea.  Thank you!!!

Re: Private Residence Costs (Insurance, tenting, lighting, etc.)

• edited December 2011
    It ends up costing a lot more than you would think! The insurance doesn't cost a lot, you can buy a one day policy, which is what we did through our insurance agent. The other things add up REALLY quickly!  Don't forget porta potties too depending on the size of your wedding. Prices vary greatly depending on the amount of people you intend to invite, and what you want! We are having about 150 and the tent, tables, chairs are costing about $4,000 (this also includes rice paper lanterns, which were a lot more than we expected but I needed them )LOL!!!! The caterer is about 65.00 a head (this is not finalized). The liquor who knows, we are having a local liquor store come in, supply liquor and bartend, we pay for only what we use so it will probably be another $15 a person or so,that's what they said was the average (which is really great compared to venues). We absolutely love what we are ding so it was worth it to us, we defiantly could have cut corners in more places, but when you factor in, photos, flowers, and any extras it starts to add up quick! happy planning !!!HTH
  • clage22clage22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm considering the same idea! If you don't mind me asking..where were you able to find houses to rent?
  • GBroc22GBroc22 member
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the insight! Did you have to do the porta potties? How much do those go for?

We found two places, basically after emailing everyone who had a house that would work for us based on listings on vrbo.com, ineedavacation.com, and homeaway.com.  I wrote up a little blurb about my FI and I, and told them that we were more than willing to work with them regarding their concerns.  I got about 100 "nos", and then 2 "maybes", and we're still working on the 2 maybes.  One is in Harwich, and one is in Chatham.

• edited December 2011
    I don't  think you have to do porta-potties, but we are having 150 guests and one bathroom was not going to cut it! We got two porta-potties and they were about $750.00. We went with Eliza J, they are really nice for porta-potties, they do only do weddings and events!!
  • thesnooperthesnooper member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out property# 105234 on www.homeaway.com

I did months of research and this property was the largest and had the best view! The inside is dated but once you walk around the outside you will die!

There are several other properties "private estates" on the homeaway website that will allow weddings.
    The smaller your wedding the more choices you will have.  I found if you have less than 75 people your choices double.  Once you get over 100 guests you options are very limited.

• GBroc22GBroc22 member
    edited December 2011
    Thank you so much Snooper ;) That house is amazing! I just emailed the owner.  I'm not sure if it's out of our price range or not...but wow! I hope it can work! :)
  • thesnooperthesnooper member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If I recall its between $12,000-$15,000.
    But thats for a WHOLE week!
    The owners are super nice...the only downfall is that it has to be a DAY wedding.

All of your guests must be off the property by 9Pm or 10PM...that's why we didn't go with it.  It has to do with a noise ordinence. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards