Arizona-Phoenix
Options

Vendor Rant

With 8 days until my wedding, I didn't think I'd have to add "dealing with an uncooperative vendor" to my list. Trust me, I've got plenty to do this week. I'm not naming any names just yet, but why is it that after a vendor receives your deposit, their sweet as sugar attitude gets a tad sour?? And when they receive your payment in full, they're attitude changes to being downright abrupt & includes them inventing new terms to a contract that were never agreed upon or included in the signed, yes singed, contract. It is truly is annoying & a shame that the level of professionalism vendors exude turns on & off when money exchanges hands.

Here's the scoop, one of my vendors is now alleging it "doesn't split" times when 2 vendors are hired to shoot a wedding. However, we hired this company knowing they would be willing to have 1 vendor start earlier in the day to shoot the groom & the other vendor to start later in the day to shoot me. Basically, they would be willing to accommodate a time split. This would mean that vendor #1 would end at an earlier time then vendor #2. Right? Wrong. The vendor now claims that they both must start & finish at the same time because split times are not accomodated. This was never agreed upon nor specified in the contract (just re-read the contact again & it's nowhere to be found) & we never agreed upon this. During our meetings with the vendor, we even explained the day's set-up & that splitting times was very important to us. So what's the problem then? Further, we have another vendor who is completely willing to split times to accommodate our needs. The uncooperative vendor is more concerned about being able to leave together then capturing what we want. Ugh, I'm just extremely annoyed & debating on how to handle this. Here are my options: 1) rip them a new one explaining too bad your contract doesn't specify the newly invented term, better luck next time ;OR 2) thanks for your uncooperative attitude, we'll swallow your refusal to split times, but know we actually agreed on the opposite & the term is NOT included in the contract, no worries though, oh & we'll be sure to give you an accurate review after all is said & done. Option #1 would probably sever the relationship pretty quickly so I think Option #2 might be a better approach even though we're losing an hour of coverage that we really needed. Thoughts?

Re: Vendor Rant

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would go with option 1 personally.  Tell them it is unacceptable for them to change things this close to the wedding and they will do what you had agreed on.  Tell them if they do not do this you will be giving them very negative reviews on the knot, wedding wire and reporting them through the better business bearau.  Not receiving negative publicity is probably worth the inconvience to them.

Question, are the 2 vendors connected some how?  Like did you book them together?  If not, I do not see what it matters to them, you are hiring them for a certain time period regardless of what any other vendor is doing.  If they are connected maybe talk to the vendor that is cooperating and see if they can talk some sense into the bad vendor.
  • Options
    GogalinaGogalina member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for your advice, it's very helpful. :o)The two vendors were booked together because they work for the same company. Basically we selected & paid for the package that gives us 2 people to shoot instead of just 1 person. It's a husband & wife team that are shooting. Husband is set to go to the groom's house & wife is set to come to my house. Apparently, they "start & end together." That's news to me & they never mentioned that before & it's not in writing. It seems like they don't mind whether they start at the same time, but now they're adamant that they end at the same time. If it's so important, why am I hearing about it for the 1st time 8 days before my wedding? Sketchy. Oh, they did make a point to tell me that they'll give me their old hourly rate (rates just went up this year) of $180 if we decide to have them stay an extra hour at the wedding. Oh & I can pay that $180 by check on the day of my wedding. Right. I'm going to give you an extra $180 when 1 of you is already obligated, by contract, to shoot my wedding during that time. Do I have stupid written on my forehead?? Lol, sorry it's getting out of my system. :o)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If it is in your contract then that is the end of discussion, tell them to bad.  I would not back down from this, what horrible vendors taking advantage of you 8 days before your wedding!!!
  • Options
    NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a pain.... I hate dealing with that kind of doo doo.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would agree.  I would tell them what you agreed upon and what you need them to do on your wedding day.  I don't think that it is professional for them to change the terms of your contract to benefit them.  I would be strong and firm, but professional.  Also, have you tried talking to both of the photogs?  Maybe if you have just tried talking to one, try the other.

One word of advice.  When speaking with them I would try to remain calm and polite.  Remember that you will have to look at them and work with them on the wedding day.  If you have hate and resentment, it may show every time you look at them for a photo.  And, since this is the best day of your life, you want to look happy while putting on your dress!  This would be key for me as I have a hard time hiding my emotions. 
    11/6/2010
    Planning Bio
  • Options
    GogalinaGogalina member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks for your advice girls, I appreciate it! Lcarp, I love your comment how any anger/resentment might show through in photos, that's so true. That's the tricky thing about working with vendors, even if they do things that are unfair/unprofessional, is that as a consumer you walk a fine line because your product is in their hands. I would rather try to preserve the relationship instead of truly telling them what I think because I don't want a mediocre product in the end. It's really unfortunate that sometimes paying brides/grooms have to bite their tongues because they're afraid of what a vendor might do in return. Sad, but true. At this point, we're set to go over the hours with them tomorrow. We'll see what happens, but I'm not letting it ruin my day one bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards