Flowers
Options

WOW! PRICE!

So, I just went and got my first quote on flowers and it's almost 1000.00!  I was thinking it would be around more he 500.00 range.  I am going to get some other quotes, but what can I do to cut this down?  I know I can do my own, but I am a HUGE perfectionist and I think it would just cause me a lot of anxiety more than anything.  We are doing in season flowers (sunflowers, roses, mums and carnations) and the groomsmen and ushers are not wearing flowers (they are wearing fishing lures for their bouts).

How else can I cut costs???

Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: WOW! PRICE!

• Options
    JustineOliviaJustineOlivia member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are ordering some of the flowers for our centerpieces from a wholesaler (grocery store). The grocer suggested we get the flowers in on Tuesday so they have time to open up for our Friday wedding.

The bouquets will be professionally done through the florist, but we feel pretty confident that we can put the centerpieces together ourselves and save the money there. Smile

There are also online wholesale flower websites like fiftyflowers.com, or people will use Sam's Club, Costco, etc. Do a search for people's thoughts on those!
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Are you doing floral centerpieces on all of your tables?  You could do flowers on half the tables and then something non-floral, like candles, on the other half.  Also, are your centerpieces tall or short?  Tall centerpieces are always more expensive then short.  Also, bouquets costs can definitely add up, especially if you have a lot of bridesmaids.  You could always consider having them carry only one flower or make their bouquets smaller.

You need to speak with your florist and let her know what your budget is and where you can adjust to meet that budget.  It is always important to let them know what your price point is.  This quote is only a starting point.

• Options
    lisab613lisab613 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it sounds like you might need to make a big change -- like simplifying centerpieces -- to make it to the price that you want. candles with some flower petals is a nice look (that's what we are doing) and cuts down on costs A LOT.
    make sure you get a quote from at least one other vendor -- it's possible that you went to a fairly expensive shop and that others will be more in the range you're looking for.
    i would also tell a florist up front what you're trying to spend b/c they may offer the best suggestions for getting to that price point.
    good luck!
    Anniversary image<br
  • Options
    Vanessarf07Vanessarf07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I should mention that only 100.00 of that 1000.00 is for the centerpieces that I am not even sure that I am doing.  The rest is for the boquets and flowers for family members. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    how many bridesmaids do you have ?  that can have a huge impact on the cost...less attendants=less money.....don't decorate the church.....That said,perhaps your expectaions  were not realistic.  You should have told the florist from the get go what your budget was. Would have save a lot of time and stress on evryones part.
  • Options
    Vanessarf07Vanessarf07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Three bridesmaids.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I would ask your florist what size bouquets she was planning on making for your bridesmaids.  Bouquets can be quite expensive so you may just need to tone down the size to lower the costs.  Also, if you are unsure of the centerpieces then just ditch them.  There is no point in spending a $100 on something that you are unsure about.  Also,personal flowers for family members and such can also add up. Think about deleting corsages and replace with a single flower.  Corsages and bouquets take a lot of time and labor so you have to factor in the labor charge as well.  Finally, you can eliminate the delivery cost (especially if you get rid of the centerpieces) by having a family member or friend pick up your personal flowers the day of.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    You can also save money by eliminating some of the flowers in each bouquet. Maybe you should have the bridesmaids carry only a few stems of sunflowers accented with bear grass loops, and as the bride, you can carry the bouquet with the other varieties. Not only would that save you a lot of money, but your bouquet would be more special. Just a thought :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I came across the same issue! I didn't want to do them myself, but didn't want to pay an arm and leg! Look for someone that does flowers on the side. Don't go to the flower shops because they are way over priced! I found a lady that does it from her home and only charges what she pays for the flowers through a wholesaler. She charges a small fee for the services and it if very affordable. So ask around and see if anyone knows of a person that does flowers through their home or on the side.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    flower_divaflower_diva member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_flowers_wow-price?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:28Discussion:20d0eca2-ec68-4848-aad1-449332f98ef4Post:898d805b-2235-418a-9b0b-a121b556d152">Re: WOW! PRICE!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I came across the same issue! I didn't want to do them myself, but didn't want to pay an arm and leg! Look for someone that does flowers on the side. Don't go to the flower shops because they are way over priced! I found a lady that does it from her home and only charges what she pays for the flowers through a wholesaler. She charges a small fee for the services and it if very affordable. So ask around and see if anyone knows of a person that does flowers through their home or on the side.
    Posted by venturabj[/QUOTE]
    don't believe it.....everyone charges for their work.you don't know what she is paying only what she tells you.The y are not going to the flowers for the fun of it.  UIf they are I would not be comfortable with them doing my wedding flowers, better do some checking around and even have them make a bokay for you(pay for it) to see exactly what you are in for.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards