South Carolina
Options

Hair stylist/salon in Hilton Head

Hi ladies,
I'm looking for some recommendations for salons/stylists for an updo for my wedding. I've done tons of research but there are not a lot of reviews out there that I can find. I am not from the area so reviews help me plan! I'll be down there next week and wanted to set up an appointment for a trial run. I set up an appointment with Cathy at Accents on Hair but I'm not feeling confident about it to be honest. They didn't seem to have set rates ready for wedding pricing and it make me think they don't handle weddings often. Has anyone ever used her or that salon before for an updo? She mentioned she sets the hair in rollers beforehand, and I've never had that before. Seems very old fashioned - any input here would be great. I'm looking for a relaxed kind of updo since its a beach wedding, nothing to prim and proper or formal.

I heard from a local bride down there that Hair Designers was good but they charge a flat $150 fee even for travel within HHI, which just seems like highway robbery to me. It's a few miles for pete's sake.

Any thoughts out there? Anyone ever used Joyous Occasions, All About Me, House of Color?

Thanks ladies!

Re: Hair stylist/salon in Hilton Head

• Options
    sunnysnow44sunnysnow44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my hair done at Tara's (just off the island) they were wonderful!  I couldn't have asked for a better morning.  They were all supportive and even did my girls makeup on the house!
    "Gone to Carolina in my mind..." image
  • Options
    kcpisanokcpisano member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally inderstand how you feel bc i am doing all this from CT! I was just there 2 weeks ago as well to meet with various vendors for our wedding...if you need recs let me know :).
    As far as hair/makeup-i got pricing on Joyous occasions and 1 excellent review. her pricing was almost too good! lol!
    I also got a recommendation for House of Color..but they were pricey...
    I am waiting on 2 more recs from family friends who live there..once i find out i will let you know..

let me know how your trip goes! we can swap vendor reviews :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Try either Tracy at Hair Designs in Beaufort, SC or Becky ay Connie's Creations in Bluffton, SC. Both have done my hair for USMC ball's and did a great job

• Options
    kldowdellkldowdell member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Joy Ross with Joyous Occasions!! She has a salon called Style It Salon in Bluffton where she will do the dry run which is included in the pricing.  She will come to where ever you are the day of the wedding; she also does make-up!!  When I was looking for someone, people emailed me excellent reviews and told me how nice she is and how relaxed she makes the bride feel.  She has a website: www.styleitsalon.com and she also has pictures on facebook which is connected to her website!!! She is doing my hair and make-up for my wedding on November 5, 2011, so she is all mine for that day!! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just to give you an update...we had  a fantastic trip to HHI. Got so much done while we were there and now so excited for the wedding!

I wound up getting a hair and makeup trial at Hair Designers in the Wexford Village, which is about 1-2 miles from Palmetto Dunes. Sandy I think was my stylist/makeup artist. My hair came out really great, but I was not loving my makeup. I think part of it is that I didn't give her enough direction on the makeup and what my vision was, so that was my fault. But I said natural, and I just didn't feel like I looked very natural. I know you have to wear dark makeup for pictures, but I looked a little ashy white in the pictures I took after, and my fiance even said he doesn't want me to wear that much makeup for the wedding, because I don't normally! (I took my hair out before he saw it...) So I wound up booking the hair there for myself and my bridal party and feel very confident with that situation, but I'm just going to Sephora to get a trial done with one of my bridesmaids before and going to practice practice so we/I can just do it so I'm not anxious about it the day of. I'm not very worried about it. 

For nails, I am going to make an appointment at Star Nails for myself and my BMs the day before - it sounds like your typical average cost, no frills place but my wedding coordinator who lives there said that's where she goes for her weekly nails so I'm comfortable with that. 

In terms of other vendors - went to Signes Bakery for the cake, YUM. Signe is so cute, and great to work with. Also met with Flowers by Sue, she is really nice, haven't finalized that yet but I've heard great things from brides who are from Hilton Head that have worked with her so I'm sure that will be fine too. 

If you have any other question send me a message! Now looking for good place for our rehearsal/welcome dinner...
  • Options
    kcpisanokcpisano member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi ladies, just wanted to let you know that a dear friend of ours lives in HHI and recommended her hair stylist..she was also highly spoken of by others in HHI..her name is Kelly from Freda Salon, She is pregnant and due in late June but does travel to onsite places. You can check out some of her work on their facebook pics...she can really do anything! I am going to have her do my hair. I will let you know how the trial goes :)

otherwise, if anyone has recs on where to get mani/pedi's that would be great!!

thanks!!
  • Options
    mfoley83mfoley83 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would not recommend Joyous Occasions.  I went for a trial and knew what I wanted, she immediately tried to get me to change my mind.  I was not impressed with any of the options she gave me and what was done to my hair fell down within a couple hours of leaving.  My make up looked average and she did not fill in my eyebrows and forgot to use mascara.  I ended up going with Ony Salon in Savannah.  She traveled to Hilton Head for my wedding day and was FABULOUS!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards