Luxury Weddings

Biggest Luxury in Your Wedding

Okay, quiet board so here's a question: what's the biggest splurge you're doing for your wedding? Or the thing you think will leave guests feeling like they had the luxury experience?

Still early in my planning process so I am curious what everyone thinks is most important!! For me, I want to have delicious food, a full open bar, and I'd like to be able to provide transportation the whole day of so that no one has to drive (because of aforementioned open bar).

I know some of my friends were most concerned with the dress, or the cake, or the venue. What do you think?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
pinterest, obvi.

Re: Biggest Luxury in Your Wedding

• Definetly the food and a top open bar .
    Also I think the little details set the luxury feeling. I'm planing on have baskets with necessities in the bathrooms, especial precocktail with signature drink at the hotel for those who choose to wait there beetwen ceremony and actual cocktai, etc.
  • Probably our band. Our band is crazy expendsive. That was our biggest expense. Besides the venue. It is more then my photographer. But they are so worth the money. Its a 10 piece band, plus seperate cocktail hour musicians. They have done three events for our family and we got a "deal" bc of it, but still a splurge. To make our guest feel happy and welcome, we are doing a prewedding dinner, for OOT and family and a post wedding brunch, and whatever else we come up with for the weekend to thank them for coming. Our wedding is a weekend affair, not just a few hour event. We are also hosting an after party, common here, that our guests wont pay for.
  • BulgariHeartBulgariHeart member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Venue, photographers and event designers/planners are going to be our splurges. We haven't put down any deposits as of yet, though. We plan on scouting the potential venues before committing to anything else. 

• Our biggest expense is def. the venue. I wanted something luxurious and different where guests could enjoy themselves and really give them the WOW factor. We're having full open bar and sooo much delicious food! It'll prob. be too much food for people to even eat but we wanted to go a little overboard. We also spent a ridiculous amount on flowers, photography, and my dress--but it was all worth it! Less than a month now (:
    "Judging a person does not define who they are. It defines who you are."
  • Definitely the venue- luxury resort with only 6 rooms in the middle of the Great Barrier Reef :) For my first marriage, which was the traditional luxury wedding, it was the venue- high end hotel overlooking the water, top shelf open bar, separate martini bar, massive cocktail hour, excellent food!

• Venue for sure (Ashford Castle ---> www.ashford.ie). It was amazing though and worth every red cent. Our second biggest expense was photography but I'm so glad we spent the money. Our photographer was amazing and H and I LOOOOOOOOVE our wedding pics.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BulgariHeartBulgariHeart member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I agree, great photographers are worth every penny! We spent a boatload of $ between photo and video professionals but are SO happy we did. I guess our wedding venue was still expensive but I'd place it at number two, and it came with planners which won't be the case for the vow renewal, most unfortunately. I'm gathering info and quotes from event designers these days and the one I'm leaning more towards quoted me $20K! Ouch.
  • sparkly811sparkly811 member
    First Comment
    edited July 2012
    Hi all, I'm new here! Just found this board and thought, ooo finally!

My biggest luxury is by far the venue. We are getting married at one of the top resorts in the world in Orange County, CA and the food and beverage minimums are outrageous! But, the place is breaktakingly gorgeous and the service is top-notch, so we are springing for it.
  • Nice! Any pics?
  • Yes I have a couple! The first pic is a view of the ceremony area from a distance and the second pic is a close-up shot. The ballroom is pretty standard looking, but of course we're going to pimp it out. 

• My venue is the biggest expense, it costs $20,000 just to utilize the space, not including catering/liqour which costs a seperate $18,000 those are the two biggest expenses.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are definitely spending most on food. We chose a resort for a DW that I LOVED and are required to use their caterers, but their food is AMAZING from the times we've been there. Going to be in the area on the 14th so we're meeting with our Wedding Coordinator and doing our tasting then to select the exact items :)

But I LOVE our location so definitely don't regret the extra cost!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_luxury-weddings_biggest-luxury-in-your-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Theme%20BoardsForum:361381ea-42c9-44e7-b994-d26049874781Discussion:04eed875-f6ef-4e04-9bfc-10e28786dbdePost:d7f2f317-d2fe-4941-a075-7f8d8f26402e">Re: Biggest Luxury in Your Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes I have a couple! The first pic is a view of the ceremony area from a distance and the second pic is a close-up shot. The ballroom is pretty standard looking, but of course we're going to pimp it out. 
    Posted by sparkly811[/QUOTE]

<div>Very beautiful - I've seen it on SMP several times!</div>
  • I would say most of it, sadly. Many of our guests are not used to more elaborate weddings. We live in a beach town and weddings here tend to be more informal. It's also very large, which shocks people when they hear the head count.

I think they'll most remember the open bar, food, and band. The photographer is most important to me, but not necessarily something my guests will care about.
  • I would say our venue & food, followed by the flowers, photography, and the band. All awesome stuff. 
    Life Is Sweeter With Icing on Top... Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-theme-boards_luxury-weddings_biggest-luxury-in-your-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Theme BoardsForum:361381ea-42c9-44e7-b994-d26049874781Discussion:04eed875-f6ef-4e04-9bfc-10e28786dbdePost:20208cb9-43ec-4be4-b67c-80f1d395a613">Re: Biggest Luxury in Your Wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I</strong> <strong>agree, great photographers are worth every penny! We spent a boatload of $ between photo and video professionals but are SO happy we did</strong>. I guess our wedding venue was still expensive but I'd place it at number two, and it came with planners which won't be the case for the vow renewal, most unfortunately. I'm gathering info and quotes from event designers these days and the one I'm leaning more towards quoted me $20K! Ouch.
    Posted by BulgariHeart[/QUOTE]

Ditto to this! Since it's been almost 10 years since my first wedding, I'm not sure what photographers are going for these days. I thought mine was a steal for our DW, though- $3000AUD for the destination wedding package plus travel expenses (probably another $1500AUD or so.) I only had 3 photographers to choose from, but I think she is really special and will do a fantastic job! I opted not to do a video this time around.

• Mine is definitely the venue/food with my mom demanding a 5 course meal. I find it ironic that the venue/food is more than what I thought my entire wedding budget would be when I was growing up.  

We got married 11/3/12!!

• I guess we had 2 big splurges. I hired a full time wedding planner to help me with every little detail. That was pricey.

And then I also spurgled on the food and drinks. I didnt want "wedding" food. I wanted a real meal that people would actually want to eat. And top shelf booze so everyone could drink their favorite drink and not be limited to a few beers, mixed drinks and wines.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited August 2012
    My cake was by Something Sweet by Michelle and that was basically my favorite detail of the wedding. 

Our venue was gorgeous too. Also our cinematographer. It was a little bit of a splurge but totally worth it. Their work is incredible and they were really fun and spontaneous (hence running down the field--we met running!) HERE (link) is the sneak peek video. 

BMcLeod I love your venue!
  • edited March 2013
    We're spending about $175 per person for the catering.  This includes the open bar, a separate martini bar, our cake (6 tiers, 6 flavors, airbrushed, edible sea glass and edible shells, starfish), service, tables, linens, appetizers, and a tapas style dinner with 3 chefs' stations (seafood/fish/pasta, poultry (chicken, duck), and red meat (beef, pork, lamb).  We're having a bunch of really high quality appetizers/tapas including duck wellington, salmon en croute, coconut shrimp, blue crab cakes, steak au poive, thai chicken ginger lettuce wraps, deviled eggs, caprese skewers, fresh asparagus soup garnished with grilled asparagus, etc.  We're also having 4 flavors of ice cream with 10 topping choices Sundae Bar - where the ice cream is being made in front of our guests with liquid nitrogen.

We're spending $3,600 for photographer duo Paired Images (based in Gaithersburg, MD)...this does not include album or prints, but complete day-of service, multiple locations, and fantastic artistic eye for shots.

We're spending about $900 for 4 hours of a classic car (1951 white and maroon Bentley)

We're spending about $5,500 on florals/lighting (candles, twinkle lights)

We're spending about $5,000 on the venue

My dress is being custom made by a vendor in Michigan, and I literally spent YEARS finding someone do what I wanted for less than $3,000.00

But, we're doing an I-POD for the reception music, and DIY stationary, and DIY planning ....so I think of our wedding as the midway point between DIY and luxury LOL
  • Mine will be accommodation for the bridal party. We would ideally like to offer a room on the wedding night to all of our international guests. I really like the idea of a big brunch the next day and this will make it a lot easier for them to attend.
  • I'm thinking a nice venue, nice food (will have to be vegan, per FI's request, so we want NICE food, not like... a lame-o vegan pasta with olive oil as a sauce, you know), and nice favors... hopefully crystal. :)
  • We're spending about $175 per person for the catering.  This includes the open bar, a separate martini bar, our cake (6 tiers, 6 flavors, airbrushed, edible sea glass and edible shells, starfish), service, tables, linens, appetizers, and a tapas style dinner with 3 chefs' stations (seafood/fish/pasta, poultry (chicken, duck), and red meat (beef, pork, lamb).  We're having a bunch of really high quality appetizers/tapas including duck wellington, salmon en croute, coconut shrimp, blue crab cakes, steak au poive, thai chicken ginger lettuce wraps, deviled eggs, caprese skewers, fresh asparagus soup garnished with grilled asparagus, etc.  We're also having 4 flavors of ice cream with 10 topping choices Sundae Bar - where the ice cream is being made in front of our guests with liquid nitrogen.

We're spending $3,600 for photographer duo Paired Images (based in Gaithersburg, MD)...this does not include album or prints, but complete day-of service, multiple locations, and fantastic artistic eye for shots.

We're spending about $900 for 4 hours of a classic car (1951 white and maroon Bentley)

We're spending about $5,500 on florals/lighting (candles, twinkle lights)

We're spending about $5,000 on the venue

My dress is being custom made by a vendor in Michigan, and I literally spent YEARS finding someone do what I wanted for less than $3,000.00

But, we're doing an I-POD for the reception music, and DIY stationary, and DIY planning ....so I think of our wedding as the midway point between DIY and luxury LOL
    Who did your dress? I may know them. 

I'm torn between getting a custom and getting this other one that is almost exactly what I'd be getting custom-done, anyway. We'll see after I try it on. ;) 
  • I would say my biggest splurge is the videographer. We are using a studio that employs indie filmmakers and makes very high quality films. They were about 3 times more expensive than anyone we talked to. We actually are concerned that our wedding is not fancy enough for them since a lot of the samples are like a 3-day affair with some senator's daughter getting married on a private island where somehow 200 people were able to attend. But those are just the best of the best they've done, right? 

However, you mention a luxury for the guests. I'm sure most guest won't care about our video. The biggest luxury for the guests is the food and open bar. We are having it at a W Hotel and the food is completely extravagant. We just had our tasting and the food is just amazing. They showed us how each dish would be presented and it will look gorgeous. Even the vegetarian option is top notch. Since I am a vegetarian myself, I couldn't have my guests getting some plain pasta marinara dish or plate of plain veggies. We are following the dinner up with the top brunch package the next day.
  • I'm thinking a nice venue, nice food (will have to be vegan, per FI's request, so we want NICE food, not like... a lame-o vegan pasta with olive oil as a sauce, you know), and nice favors... hopefully crystal. :)
    Have you looked at any venues yet? You are planning to give your guests crystal? What kind of crystal item are you looking at? I'm thinking of favors now for my July wedding.
  • So far mine has been my dress (which I absolutely fell in love with) and my wedding venue- Haiku Mill in Maui.  We are planning to keep our wedding fairly small since it's a destination but we would really love to show everyone a good time.  My wedding is pretty far away still so most of the other costs are unknown at this point. :-)
  • Andrea--We aren't sure about the favors yet, but are thinking perhaps something like ornaments, as we'll be heading into the holiday season soon after our wedding. Nothing "Christmasey," though, as it wouldn't fit the look of our wedding, and not everyone coming to the wedding celebrates Christmas. 

We've started looking at venues, but nothing firm yet. It's TOUGH! Hopefully everything will be small beans after this, as venue and catering are what we seem to be most strict about! 

Racheogle--That dress is over-the-top awesome!! :-D
  • Rachel-Elise- I know you're looking at crytsal, but I thought I'd share what I did for my first wedding, We did candle votives and holders. The holder were shaped almost like champagne glasses and the votives fit right in the "Cup" part. You can choose almost any scent, but we did Yankee Candle "wedding day" I'm not even sure that is still available. I got married in 2004. LOL We then had our names and wedding date printed onto little cardstock tabs and tied them with silk ribbon that matched the wedding color onto the votive holder.

• @Racheogle- I live outside of PHX and happen to be in Hawaii right now :) I'm in Kauai, though!

• We have an INCREDIBLE photographer. I also spent a pretty penny on my dress and FI is having a suit custom-made by Brooks Brothers. And I decided to get a photobooth that isn't just a big black box but is actually a vintage-y and pretty to look at (The Traveling Photo Booth).

I'm making our centerpieces (collecting vintage vases and books) and buying boxwood garlands wholesale to save a little money.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards