Registry and Gift Forum

Checks as Wedding Gifts Question

Hi,

I have a weird question. My legal name before marriage was Abby. I had it legally changed to Abigail because I have always wanted my name to be so (with my parents' blessing) after marriage. I will still go by Abby, but a lot of people don't know that I legally changed it. We received a lot of checks as gifts for our wedding, and they all say "Mason and Abby (HisLastName)" on them. Will we still be able to cash them even though Abby is not technically my legal name anymore?

Re: Checks as Wedding Gifts Question

• My suggestion is to call your bank and ask them. I doubt it will be an issue. I'm sure when "Thomas Jones" cashes a check made out to "Tom Jones" they don't think much of it.
  • You shouldn't have a problem.  Do you have a document which shows your official change?  Bring it if you can.

My name wasn't spelled correctly on many of our checks and no one looked twice when we went to deposit them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_checks-as-wedding-gifts-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:eb5a6960-fa0e-40ef-ae4f-83a40f931eecPost:88df5109-4ca1-45ea-af40-41d70186de09">Re: Checks as Wedding Gifts Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]My suggestion is to call your bank and ask them. I doubt it will be an issue. I'm sure when "Thomas Jones" cashes a check made out to "Tom Jones" they don't think much of it.
    Posted by GuebaraGirl[/QUOTE]

That's what I figured, I just got unnecessarily worried. Haha. Thank you!
  • You shouldn't have a problem with it but check with your bank.  My husband gets checks with a shortened version of his name all the time and has never had an issue with depositing them.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    You shouldn't have a problem, my brother is technically Matthew, and he has never had a problem cashing checks I write to "Matt."
  • I would't worry about it.  I've cashed checks in both my maiden and married names, and my husband goes by a nickname and had checks in both names.  Just last week my mom wrote me a check and accidentally wrote my maiden name, and it went through a live teller and they didn't say anything.  

• aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment

I'm an Abigail who grew up only ever being called Abbey so I have gotten many checks with Abbey and never had an issue. I feel something like 99.9% certain you'll have no issues whatsoever.

Lizzie
  • I worked as a bank teller for 2 years and the only issue I can see would be if your last name on the account you're trying to deposit into is your maiden name and the checks have your married name on them. Otherwise, I can't see you having any problems.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards