Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Funky Reception Menu

Need some candid opinions here......our wedding (in April) will be on a Saturday evening and while rather "traditional" (at our church with reception at a hall), we are both 2nd-timers with a total of 6 kids between us and are trying to come up with creative and personal touches to our wedding and reception that will keep the feel elegant/formal but not stuffy or uncomfortable.  We are doing things like incorporating personal items that are memorable from special points in our lives into our decorations, invitations, music, etc., having a small table with special items of loved ones that have passed (both our dads, my son, etc), and we were thinking of doing a very eclectic buffet style spread later in the evening after the wedding (8pm-ish?) in lieu of a full course sit down meal.  We are thinking of serving favorite family recipes and the like to make it totally personal and yumm-o for our guests who mostly will know and recognize the foods as these items are typically what we and our families get asked to bring to functions, etc.  So far we've come up with "Uncle Joe's sweet n sour meatballs", my FI's "Calico Beans", "Aunt Michelle's Corn Casserole", "Granddaddy's Green Beans", "Grandma's Fruit Salad", and maybe a Build-Your-Own-Taco setup (this was our first meal together with both our families).  Anyway, how weird and potentially awful does this whole thing sound?  Basically my main MO is to have the whole she-bang be personal, meaningful, fun, a lil off-beat, but still keep our guests happy and comfortable.  So gals.....let me have it......weird?  wonderful?  would it turn you off if you attended a wedding like this?  I need fearless opinions and clever ideas.....a BIG THANKS to anyone who RESPECTFULLY replies!  Hugs to all my fellow brides and brides-to-be!!!!

Re: Funky Reception Menu

• Options
    NillaWafer10NillaWafer10 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As long as the food is tasty and food borne illness free, I think most guests will be happy.  None of the food really bodes well with my pallet, but I've never had "Aunt Michelle's Corn Casserole" :)

The taco bar might fit in better at the rehearsal dinner.  The other dishes sound like comfort food classics, and the tacos are a tad random.

Hope that helps!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Ashes_3Ashes_3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think as long as it is delicious, ppl will be happy with it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
      I would rather have something delicious and random than bland and expected or traditional. I do agree with PP that the tacos are a little more random than other parts of the meal. However, it's a buffet, if people don't want tacos, they certainly don't have to eat them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a great idea.   The guests whose dishes were honored are going to feel so special. 

Another idea could be to try to incorporate each of your 6 children's favorite foods.  Like "Mikey's Favorite Mac N' Cheese" or "Caitlyn's Favorite Chicken Tenders"

I love the idea of personalizing the menu!  
  • Options
    Sue-n-KevinSue-n-Kevin member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds good to me.

FYI, there is a "Second Wedding" board on the left, in the "Special Topic Board", if you want to chat with brides who are, or are marrying, second (or third) time. Great ladies, lots of fun and supportive conversations.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks to all who replied....really appreciate the input!!  Good luck to all of you and Happy Holidays, too!!

Nicole :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE interesting food at a reception. Personally, I like it better when there's a cohesive flavour theme to the meal, but I love the concept. I agree with the pps, that the taco bar is a little out of place... but again, great idea!
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A bit late, but I love your buffet idea!  It is nice to be able to sample all the different family favorite dishes.  I am a regular on the Second Weddings board, so hope to see you there!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's great! Though I'd start earlier if possible, especially if there's no cocktail hour.

Also, logistically, how will it work? Will you make and set up food? Will you have a caterer and give them the recipes?
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Love the idea! If you want your wedding to stand out (in a good way!), this will do it. What you might try is incorporating a theme. I know some others mentioned southern comfort, etc., but you could even take the theme to presentation and make that the cohesive element. So for example, use all red bowls and place orchids around the table. Whatever your taste! 

Also -- I wrote a memoir about my wedding bc it was so ridiculous and I've started a FB campaign to get it published. Please help a fellow bride out by going to my page and clicking "like"--thanks!: http://tiny.cc/fygi3
  • Options
    connelly2beconnelly2be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it sounds delicious and fun.  The only thing I would caution you about is the taco bar.  I'm picturing female guests with taco stains on their bosoms, male guests with taco stains on their bellies, and a bride and groom with similar stains.  Not to mention all the little Bradys.  Personally, I get a little irked to be served messy food when I'm dressed up and photographers are lurking.  But the rest of it sounds great!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I too am planning an April wedding that's a little funky and personal!  I love your idea!  We're doing a build your own baked potato bar with homestyle food at our buffet.  I wanted good comfort food as opposed to stuffy gourmet food that most of my guests wouldn't easily identify with.  So go for it! Make it fun and personal!
  • Options
    cynmcpartlandcynmcpartland member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having a mashed potato bar at our reception.  They are making them a little fancy by putting them in martini glasses.  Something like that could be fun
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would love it!  FI and I have actually talked about doing walking tacos at ours.  The drawback is the messiness of taco meat, but we're thinking it could extend into a big ball park food theme (which would be super fun).

Personally, the food not being cohesive wouldn't bother me, but I can understand why other people would find it odd. 

I think you should stay true to yourselves and go for it!  Even if it's not "traditional" wedding food, it sounds awesome, and to be honest, a lot of it can be a bit boring.

So kudos to your for eating outside the box!
    Follow Me on Pinterest Image and video hosting by TinyPic Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also want a buffett at my wedding & I think FI does as well. We would much rather have stuff they we know we will eat as well as people who are coming.
    We are southern, so comfort food will hit the spot with us! Pulled BBQ pork &/or chicken, mashed or baked potatos, mac & cheese, etc. But I will prob also have a big salad set up (in case not everyone wants to splurge on comfort food) & def. a fruit & veggie set up as well.
    I think the personalization of the menu is a great idea! You should def. do it anyway you see fit. It's yalls wedding so be true to yourselves in everyway.
    The biggest issue I'm going to run into with all of this is I also would rather have it homemade, only I don't want to put guest to work a day or so in advance to make food for my wedding, although Im sure they wouldn't mind. So, if you're doing that, get opinions from the people who will be making them, see if they are up for it. Also think about the number of guests so you'll know how much to have made.
    :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOVE THE IDEA.  That's along the lines of what I wanted to do but my fiance vetoed it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It sounds like a simply fabulous idea!  My husband and I got married on December 18th and we chose to serve different types of chili since it was a very wintery weather affair!  At first people questioned...but once they started eating---there was NOTHING left! :)  Just like you we had both been married before and have four kids--so we also included a hot chocolate station with marshmallows!  Our menu might have been not-so-traditional but it was perfect.  As is your menu!  Don't let tradition dictate--go with what you want.  That is what makes it special.  Besides, the naysayers won't be able to complain as they will be stuffing their faces!!! :) 
  • Options
    carmelissacarmelissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is a great idea! My fiance and I are doing a sit down dinner, but we're only offering our two favorite meals as options - meatloaf and fettucini alfredo.

I think everyone will love that you've personalized everything so creatively. Enjoy your big day!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards