Outdoor Weddings

Outdoor wedding - not enough seating for everyone.

Hey All-

We are planning on having an outdoor wedding in a few months at a beautiful location at a local park.  There is only seating for 60 at the site, and we are inviting about 150.  Our cermony will be super quick- 5-10 minutes at the most.  Would it be tacky to have people stand?

(I have to add that we looked into pricing and were quoted $700 get chairs to use for 10 minutes!!!)

Re: Outdoor wedding - not enough seating for everyone.

• Yes, it is tacky to have people stand. You should have a seat for each guest. Who would you have stand, or who would be the "privileged" people to get to sit? If I was standing and a child was sitting I'd be a little irritated.

IMO :)
    Sept 11, April Siggy, HM Picture!!
    On a Boat, with our Flippy-Floppies!
    Anniversary
    Want to see my Bio? PM Me!!
    Wifey Shenanigans & Day Zero
  • It's tacky.  They won't be standing just for your 5-10 minute ceremony.  They would probably get there early, stand during the processional, ceremony, recessional.  Then who get's to sit?  first come first serve?  Some people may have problems standing for a certain period of time that may not be known to you.  If you can't afford to provide a seat for everyone, you need to cut the guest list.
  • id012id012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I think its fine. Iv been to plenty of weddings where we stood. Usally the men will stand and let the women/elderly sit. I really dont think anyone would complain. If you have a lot of elderly people maybe i would reconsider and get the chairs.
  • id012id012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    And also know that people wont stand in like lines like if they were sitting they will probably be more gathered around. If ur ok with that then who cares! I would hope someone sitting would give up there chair to come who looked like they needed to sit!
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_outdoor-wedding-not-enough-seating-for-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:fbf4eec7-1761-4d6b-9a41-41c752e72f6fPost:94faa920-0d80-4cf1-a8a0-797c52e8688b">Re:Outdoor wedding not enough seating for everyone.</a>:
    [QUOTE]And also know that people wont stand in like lines like if they were sitting they will probably be more gathered around. If ur ok with that then who cares! <strong>I would hope someone sitting would give up there chair to come who looked like they needed to sit!</strong>
    Posted by id012[/QUOTE]

The thing is, I don't look like I need to sit.  I appear to be a healthy mid-twenties woman.  But, I have a blood pressure problem and get lightheaded (and pass out) if I stand for a long time. 

Even if your ceremony is only 10 minutes, people will arrive early.  So they might be standing for 30-40 minutes.  Have you ever tried to stand on grass in heels for 40 minutes?  Not comfortable at all. 
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited May 2012
    This suggestion came up for our wedding as well. However short it may be I wouldn't want to stand at anyone's wedding, so I will not have anyone stand at my wedding. Our chairs may be mismatched, but everyone will have a seat
  • Everyone is standing at ours. It's super short, very informal, and we only have 50 people coming.
  • It's rude.  Rent the chairs.   Call around.  You can rent simple folding chairs for anywhere from 1.00-3.00 per chair. If your venue already has 60 chairs, you'll need to rent 90 of them.  That should be less than $200.00.   Don't make your guests stand.  If your ceremony is only 10 minutes long, people will still be standing for 20 minutes to an hour.  I was at a wedding last year where some guests started arriving about 45 minutes before the ceremonys tarted.
  • I am having the same problem with the venue we chose. There is enough seating for about 90 people but we are having around 150-180 people. However there is a rock wall that people can sit on if they would like.
  • A rock wall??    Seriously?   Please people.  Rent some chairs.  We are talking 2 bucks a piece.   Cut back on something or don't do favors and rent them a chair instead.
  • I don't think its tacky to have folks stand, especially if the ceremony is short.  If you have elderly folks who would not be able to stand, get them a chair, but everyone else could sit.  Just make sure you have refreshments and places for them to sit after the ceremony.  They won't mind.
  • Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    A chair for every butt!
  • I have been to a standing ceremony before, it was fine. There were chairs for a few elders, but they chose to stand. The ceremony was super short like 5 min. Perhaps a heads up would be useful. In addition, kinda Funny, for our ceremony our guests stood up from their seats (at picnic tables under a pavilion) and never sat down! We wrote the ceremony script and didn't think to include a cue for guests to sit. I didn't even notice that this happened until the pics came back. our ceremony was 5 minutes.
  • FFS, don't make your guests stand.  Your guests' comfort should be your FIRST priority; once you invite other people to your wedding it's not just all about you.  Treat your guests right.

• Here's the thing:  you will have older folks who won't sit down because it makes them "look" old and feeble.  Then you have guests who are young and healthy looking like wiscisbliss who will end up passing out, but would never take one of the few chairs available because their are older guests and she would look rude.  Then you have guests like my husband.  54, looks healthy and has the back of a fossil.  He would refuse a chair because there would be elder guests and ladies and he would be in rough shape for days because he had to stand at the wedding.

Standing weddings aren't 5 or 10 minutes for the guests.  Do you think guests sit in their cars until they see the bride ready to go down the aisle?  No.  They get their 15-30 minutes early, hope and pray the wedding starts on time, and then there will be another 15-20 minutes of congratulating the couple, milling around, etc.

I don't care how short your wedding is.  If your guests have to stand it will be close to an hour for them and you need to get real about that.  It always gets me when brides say "it's only for 5 or 10 minutes."  I can promise you NO standing wedding has  had their guests off their feet in 5 or 10 minutes - not anywhere close to that.
  • Avion22Avion22 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    I don't remember who first suggested this on TK, but it's a good one:

Go put on a nice dress and fancy shoes, like you would wear to a wedding, then stand in your front yard for 45 minutes, and see how you feel after (if you even make it that far).   

I've stood through several weddings (usually as a bridesmaid, but I also stood through my own wedding), and it's not fun, no matter how short you think your wedding ceremony is going to be.   
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_outdoor-wedding-not-enough-seating-for-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:fbf4eec7-1761-4d6b-9a41-41c752e72f6fPost:b45a39bc-1686-44cc-a67b-b1183a63a663">Re: Outdoor wedding - not enough seating for everyone.</a>:
    [QUOTE]   Go put on a nice dress and fancy shoes, like you would wear to a wedding, then stand in your front yard for 45 minutes, and see how you feel after (if you even make it that far).     
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

THIS !!!   Everyone who is considering making their guests stand for the wedding should do this !!!!   
  • Our outdoor venue comes with 0 chairs.  We're renting them.  If renting them wasn't in the budget (at 2.25 a piece for the "fancier" ones) I'd move the picnic tables over from the nearby pavilion which I've also rented so everyone can have a place to sit.

I agree with Avion22's suggestion, dress up in heels, make-up, hair, fancy clothes and go outside and stand in one place in the sun at whatever time of day your wedding will be.  If I was attending a 5 minute ceremony and got there 15 minutes early and it took 15 minutes to get my turn with the B&G that would still be 35 minutes.
    Formerly known as flutterbride2b
  • klwpazklwpaz member
    First Comment
    It's going to cost us $175 to rent 100 chairs for the 15 minute outdoor ceremony. There were suggestions from others to just provide a couple chairs for our elderly and pregnant guests. But as PPs have said, people get there early and end up standing much longer than the actual ceremony time. Also, I'll echo Wiscisbliss that you can't always tell who needs to sit. I am also in my mid-20s and appear healthy, but have arthritis in my hips and back that makes it difficult to stand for long periods of time. Add heels and I will certainly be sore before the dancing even begins. If there were only a few seats, I wouldn't dream of taking a seat before someone else. I think the expense will be worth it for the comfort of our guests.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's very inconsiderate not to have enough seats for your guests. I'd also get another quote on chairs. I'm not paying $700 for 350 chairs for 24 hours...
  • Am I the only one that finds it crazy for someone to get a venue that is only set up to seat half of the amount of guests they're inviting?
  • We're having an outdoor ceremony, and having to rent 20-40 extra chairs depending on how many people we end up inviting when we send out invitations.  We knew our venue didn't provide enough chairs and we would have to rent them.  It's not fair to ask people to stand for 30 minutes (maybe more).  It's just rude.  Also please get a quote from somewhere else, that's too much money for that amount of chairs.  The ones we're looking at renting are $1.50 to $3.00 depending on what kind of chair you rent.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_outdoor-wedding-not-enough-seating-for-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:fbf4eec7-1761-4d6b-9a41-41c752e72f6fPost:bcd7c96c-6c38-4403-a52a-a40b2c35e456">Re: Outdoor wedding - not enough seating for everyone.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Am I the only one that finds it crazy for someone to get a venue that is only set up to seat half of the amount of guests they're inviting?
    Posted by awolkenhauer[/QUOTE]

<div>Nope, you are not.  I have never understood why you plan from square one to choose a place that cannot seat your guests properly.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_outdoor-wedding-not-enough-seating-for-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:fbf4eec7-1761-4d6b-9a41-41c752e72f6fPost:f19081f3-28aa-409f-a143-7fde547ef80f">Re: Outdoor wedding - not enough seating for everyone.</a>:
    [QUOTE]We're having an outdoor ceremony, and having to rent 20-40 extra chairs depending on how many people we end up inviting when we send out invitations.  We knew our venue didn't provide enough chairs and we would have to rent them.  It's not fair to ask people to stand for 30 minutes (maybe more).  It's just rude.  Also please get a quote from somewhere else, that's too much money for that amount of chairs.  The ones we're looking at renting are $1.50 to $3.00 depending on what kind of chair you rent.
    Posted by Annas2013[/QUOTE]

You are not the only one.  There are entirely too many venue choices to not pick one that you can properly host your guests.   I'm not talking about a super fancy meal and a puppy as a wedding favor... but, at seat??    It is RUDE not to provide seating for every guest.  The only exception is an infant who is sitting on a parent's lap. 

We found plain plastic white folding chairs for $.75 cents each. So, for 125 guests it's barely $100.00.   Cut out favors, cut out a few bottles of wine, cut out special jewelry for your BMs.  There are plenty of ways to save 100-200 bucks and provide a seat.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_outdoor-wedding-not-enough-seating-for-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:666Discussion:fbf4eec7-1761-4d6b-9a41-41c752e72f6fPost:d8a500ae-1da0-4276-b8ec-d2bad5209e36">Re: Outdoor wedding - not enough seating for everyone.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Outdoor wedding - not enough seating for everyone. : You are not the only one.  There are entirely too many venue choices to not pick one that you can properly host your guests.   I'm not talking about a super fancy meal and a puppy as a wedding favor... but, at seat??    It is RUDE not to provide seating for every guest.  The only exception is an infant who is sitting on a parent's lap.  We found plain plastic white folding chairs for $.75 cents each. So, for 125 guests it's barely $100.00.   Cut out favors, cut out a few bottles of wine, cut out special jewelry for your BMs.  There are plenty of ways to save 100-200 bucks and provide a seat.
    Posted by cmgilpin[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Interestingly enough there's room for everyone at the venue.  Just not chairs.  The place comes with 120 chairs, but room for up to 160 guests (provided we rent the extra chairs from a rental service).  Most venues where I live don't include chairs in rentals so we were lucky to find this one.  Only having to rent 40 chairs at the most is a lot better than having to rent 150.  If you know the venue doesn't have enough chairs you should have budgeted in the cost of the chairs.  Also like cmgil said, you can cut money in other places if you have to.

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
  • edited May 2012
    Check the local schools and firehouses, they may let you use their chairs for a donation that is lower than renting them.  They may not be the nicest chairs but they are buget savy.
  • I went to a wedding where everyone had to stand. It was a short ceremony, so yeah I don't really mind standing for up to about half an hour all together. The problem though, is that everyone kinda rushed into like a mob. I'm really short (5'2), so I basically couldn't see anything. Everyone kept moving around and trying to get a better look and it was super annoying. 

tldr: The wedding had no chairs and I couldn't see a thing inside the mob. 
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • I agree... check the schools... fire houses... senior centers... if you belong to a private club.. eagles.... veterns hall and also check churches... these place are usually willing to help out.  We have borrowed for a friends wedding from a church that was an outdoor wedding... most people arnt going to judge if they are metal folding chairs or expensive rentals.... a chair is a chair... Best of luck to you!!
  • I agree that having less than 1/2 the amount of chairs as guests is not good.  However, here's what I am doing:

My ceremony location is my backyard.  I am renting 100 chairs.  I am inviting roughly 150 guests.  Not everyone will show up to the ceremony.  I know this for a fact because I know my guests, most of which is Fi's family.  They can never be on time to any event to save their lives and my ceremony will start exactly at 3pm and end exactly 20-30 minutes later.... most guests will not be there until 4 pm, 5 pm even.  I am not worried about it.  I am not renting 150 chairs where half will be empty.  

I am renting enough chairs to cover the guests at the ceremony and will most likely still have empty seats.  If you know your guest and you think 90 of them won't show for the ceremony, then you should be fine.  If you even for a second think, you will have guests standing, even for just 10 minutes, maybe get a few more chairs. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I would be pissed as hell to show up to a wedding and have to stand. Like everyone else has said, you never know who NEEDS a seat. I would rather you skip on some unnecessary frills than to make your guests uncomfortable, no matter how long your ceremony is. Don't be inconsiderate.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker edited
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards