Canada

Honeymoon plans?

We are planning to go to Nova Scotia for a week for our honeymoon.  We'd like to fly into Halifax and make our way up to Charlottetown.  Any suggestions of where to check out along the way?!?!
Where are you going for your honeymoon?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Honeymoon plans?

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I literally JUST got back from the Maritimes, less than a week ago! (I've been meaning to post about my trip but been lazy). It's so beautiful, you'll love it!

Here's a map of our itinerary though this doesn't include all of the side trips. We clocked over 2,500 km of driving!
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=104804583403867187744.000487daca26bf77f4baf&z=8

This was our itinerary:

1. Fly into Halifax. We were supposed to use our first day and next morning to check out the city and visit Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg, but unfortunately we missed our flight and the first day.

2. Drive to Bay of Fundy, stay 2 nights in Advocate Harbour (west of Parrsboro). We spent our full day there hiking in Cape Chignecto Provincial Park. We stayed in a B&B called Wild Caraway and LOVED it. It has a shared bath (therefore cheaper) but the B&B is also a restaurant downstairs and the food is fantastic.

There are hikes of varying difficulty at Cape Chignecto Provincial Park. We did a moderate trail, and we also drove up to the Eatonville Day Park which has a very easy trail. The drive is a very rocky dirt road, but you'll eventually come to a point called Spicer's Cove which is really pretty.

If you like cheese, there is a cheese shop in a town called Economy. The name of the cheese shop is That Dutchman's Cheese (they have a website if you google) and they sell an AMAZING blue cheese called Dragon's Breath. Apparenty it's illegal outside of NS, lol.

I think in Truro, you can see the tidal bore, but we didn't stop there. I'd highly recommend giving yourselves at least a day on the Bay of Fundy so that you can see the tides. It takes about 6.5 hours for the full tide to come in or out.

3. Drive to PEI. We stayed in a beautiful B&B west of Charlottetown called Firedance Inn and it was wonderful as well, but a little out of the way. But the whole island is so small so we didn't find it much of an issue. We explored Cavendish (Anne of Green Gables stuff) and its beaches. My favourite spots were around Rustico and Stanley Bridge, both on the north shore near Cavendish - just gorgeous. Summerside and the west part of the island are also quite pretty, but we didn't have as much time to explore those. You can get a tourist map which will outline scenic drives. Any of the provincial parks and beaches are really pretty. Charlottetown is a cute town and you can visit some Confederation landmarks and go see a show at the Charlottetown festival.

3. Took the ferry back to NS and drove to Baddeck, Cape Breton. You MUST visit Cape Breton and drive the Cabot Trail. It is spectacular! There is some good hiking, but even if you're not into hiking, you'll encounter lots of scenic points along the drive. We did the Skyline Trail hike. There is a lovely stone church in Cheticamp, and at Pleasant Bay you can take a whale watching boat tour. We stopped at the Chowder House in Neil's Harbour (recommended by locals) and got a snack at Keltic Lodge, both of which have gorgeous views. If you like celtic music, explore the Ceilidh trail on the west part of the island... the Rankin Family have a restaurant called Red Shoe Pub in their hometown of Mabou (but we didn't go). There are also lots of ceilidhs (kind of a celtic music party) in PEI, just keep your eyes peeled for signs at church halls. We went to one at the Gaelic College at St. Ann's along the Cabot Trail.

In Baddeck, there is a large museum dedicated to Alexander Graham Bell. In Glace Bay near Sydney, I believe there is a site for Marconi, and south of that is the fortress of Louisbourg. We stayed in a B&B called High Street Inn and got upgraded to the king suite - very romantic.

4. Drive back to Halifax. If you like ships, visit the Maritime museum - they have relics from the Titanic, war ships, etc. The Citadel has yet another fortress. The boardwalk along the harbour is very nice.

I posted a bunch of pics in this thread on The Nest. If you want more info, let me know! There are also a bunch of Maritime knotties on this board who were really helpful when I was planning my trip. Scroll down this board a bit and you may find my threads asking about the east coast. It has a few other suggestions which we unfortunately didn't have time to check out.

Sorry so long! It's just that it's still so fresh in my mind because we just came back.

To answer your other question, we went on a cruise through Alaska for our honeymoon. :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • TrinaCamTrinaCam member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ringpop - sounds like you had fun!!

We live in NB so, even though was go to these places multiple times a year, we planning on going to Halifax the day after the wedding (driving), spending two days.  Then taking a couple of days in Moncton then coming home.  We have lots planned for our 5 day trip.

Happy planning!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards