Not Engaged Yet
Options

Do you know about your car?

Here at work there is a parking lot in which the residents can rent parking spaces. I have them fill in their vehicle information so I can know whose car belongs to who. Well it amazes me the number of people who are absolutely clueless about what they drive. I'm suprised when they know the color sometimes. So I'm curious if I'm in the minority/ majority knowing the make, model, year and license plate # of my car.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Do you know about your car?

• Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have yet to memorize my plate number. BUT, I keep it written on a piece of paper in my wallet because I know I don't have it memorized.

However, this is coming from the girl who took ages to memorize her SSN. I'm just really lame at some things.
  • Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can usually remember things that I need to remember. But try to get me to do math and we have problems. I understand the license plate thing for the most part, but really having no clue what-so-ever what you are driving? To me that says, maybe you shouldn't be driving. Maybe I'm just snobby about that because most of my guy friends/ most of all my ex's have had/ have jobs involving cars. I wouldn't be able to get away without knowing anything.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I drive an orange truck or my"pumpkin" as BF refers to it, I prefer to think he means like in Cinderella and is not just making fun of it...kind of hard to forget that color though and my license plate kinda rhymes which is the only way I remember it
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know everything about our truck, but not the audi.  I can even change the oil on the truck. I could also change the oil when I had my civic.  The audi is just too complicated. 

I don't understand how someone could not know the make, model or color of their car.  That truly baffles me. 
  • Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    Mutley - It also baffles me too, which is why I decided to ask to see if it was more common than I thought. People never know what Make/ Model means. They look at me clueless. At which time I say is it a Honda/Ford/Chevy, Civic/Taurus/Malibu etc.

I had a PT hotessing gig one summer and we had to supply our vehicle information. This other girl who was working there and all she knew about her vehicle is that it was big truck thing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know everything except the license plate number; I forget that sometimes. I know everything (including the license plate) about BF's car though.
    He pretty much had me at "hello".
    -- PS I agree with whatever Jeana said --
  • Options
    katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I want to clarify that I know everything about my car EXCEPT memorizing my license plate number, because I would judge me too if I didn't.

Cool
  • Options
    edited December 2011
          Typically I know everything about my car[s] and BF's cars, but I only remember his vehicals because they're antique cars, so when i'm sitting in it in a parking lot people come up to  me and ask a TON of questions about his car[s].
           I know my new car is going to be a dark grey 2006 Scion xa. But I have no idea what my plates are yet.. But i'll make up a rhyme or something to remember it when I get them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Make and model are on your registration.  I believe that you even have to fill out a form for your registration and your insurance.  They both use those terms. 

Bring back Darwinism!  How can you operate a vehicle when you are incapable of remembering the most basic information?
  • Options
    hetshuphetshup member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have a 2004 VW GTI VR6, with 57k miles on it in grey. I know the liscense plate too. FI has a 2006 Ford Mustang with 76k miles on in Royal Blue. I can change the oil, I just choose not to.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My surrent vehicle is a blah mommy mobile... It's a 2000 Mazda Protege LX with 107K miles and other than it getting me where I need to be I have no interest in it at all.

However, I know A  LOT about cars.  I grew up with a motor-head and know lots about historic cars, import cars as well as boats and motorcycles because of that.  I was not allowed to even get my temps until I changed tires without help (at like 90 lbs.) and changed the oil! 

I used to have a 2007 Scion XB in Thundercloud Metallic that I bought brand new, it was my baby... I have about 10 trophies and plaques from different car shows that I had it in.  Here is a picture...

I traded it in when I downgraded to the mommy mobile so that I could afford to go back to school.  Prioirties!  :/
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My dad owns a body shop so cars have been in my blood since I was a wee babe. I can tell you what my truck is, what color it is, and whats under the hood I almost know my license plate..it's CJ....-something? LOL
    2003 Ford F-150 Lightning SVT -Sonic Blue. It is faster than BF's 2007 Mustang GT and thats about all that matters in life. It drives him nuts to know that and I love it :)

My aunt (his sister) came to town last year and was showing us pictures of her new "fusion". My dad and uncle laughed and made fun of her because it was a Dodge Calibur, not a Ford Fusion.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh and I know my plate number too... although it did take a little while to learn bc I used to have personalized plates on the XB!  Man, this thread makes me miss that car! :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    loopy82loopy82 member
    edited December 2011
    I used to have an 03 mazda protege lx. Traded that in to get into a stupid lease on an 09 civic. When I had the protege I kept saying the next car I was going to get was going to be bigger-- I think the civic is smaller than the mazda. My favorite thing about my car: the steering wheel radio controls and the sunroof - (gotta have a sunroof!) Oh and going into the whole civic deal I wanted a black manual. I got a silver automatic. Boo.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I was in college I worked at the University Police department in the traffic division. Basically I filled tickets and gave out parking permits. I was always amazed at how few people knew anything about their vehicles, students and parents. I think that maybe because of this I make sure to know everything. I started working there before I owned a vehicle but I'm pretty sure I'd know AT LEAST the make and model of my car. Now I know make, model, plate number, mileage, color, and gas mileage (though that's just for my sake).
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    jgcohnjgcohn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love numbers and such....so I could tell you all of the license plates on any car my family owns.  I know all but the under the hood type stuff (but I can change oil and add washer fluid and all that jazz....)

I've never had to change a tire tho....
  • Options
    mythomanicmythomanic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_car?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:22b04909-857d-4ad2-be58-93f953fc3487Post:604c67fe-55c0-419e-8c95-530faf79aad3">Re: Do you know about your car?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Bring back Darwinism!  How can you operate a vehicle when you are incapable of remembering the most basic information?
    Posted by **Mutley**[/QUOTE]

Oh, at least you need a driver's license. You don't need a license to have a baby...

I have an 09 Toyota tinycar. By which I mean a Yaris :) how do people not know the make/ model of their cars? Don't they look up the value when they buy the vehicle? 
  • Options
    zaneopalzaneopal member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can tell you the make, model, year number, my license plate (though I just finally got that down in March--had those plates for almost 2 years), when its last oil change was, mileage, and that the radio gets glitchy if it's too cold outside.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards