Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Calling all knotties!! Help for a PLAIN reception venue.

So, I have exhausted all of my options for having a wedding reception at a place with its
own beauty. We are settling for the parish hall at our church.

Don’t get me wrong, the place is very nice and clean…it is just very…plain.

Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures to post, but I was hoping
 I could get some ideas from you knotties out there on how to dress up a place that is
very sterile.

I feel the need to top every wedding I’ve been to (though it will probably not happen,
I’m still going to try). I don’t want people to walk in the parish hall and think to
 themselves…wow, this place is plain…I want them to walk in and say…WOW.
This place is freaking awesome, I wish I thought of that!

I have thought of trying to drape the ceiling with fabric or tulle with lights in it
(I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this picture
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=plane+hanger+wedding&view=detail&id=284C63BE94954C2D005F2E7210FE34CB33E336E5&qpvt=plane+hanger+wedding  though I am sure it would be pretty hard to do that to our reception hall)

I also read about getting topiary trees, lighting and lining them up along a wall.
 I would really like to not turn on the overhead lights and use light strands and
the centerpieces to light up the place.

Also, I would like a rustic or classic wedding look (our colors are red and gray).
 I thought about mason jars on the tables in different sizes and have candles in them.

Who knows though. Whatever decorations I buy, I want them to be fairly popular as
I want to sell them afterward. I don’t want to be stuck with a million decorations
I won’t ever use again.

Among all of these issues I seem to be having…our budget for decorations is between
 $300 and $500. I’d like to stay on the low end, but it’s not a huge deal to go
higher, especially if it’s being sold later…I can make up for the budget there.

I appreciate any insight/pictures/advise you can give!!!!

Re: Calling all knotties!! Help for a PLAIN reception venue.

• Options
    imsorry i can barely read your post cause of how its showing up on my page.  its going all the way across the ads.  is there a way you can re edit or remargin it?
  • Options
    String lights, tulle, and paper lanterns will spruce up any dull space. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Uplighting can make a huge difference. Have you looked into hiring a wedding coordinator? For the amount of decorating you want, I think it would be a wise investment. Less time for you to worry about setting things up yourself, and then you'd not have to pay retail for everything and hope to sell it. Just a thought!
  • Options
    Tulle or white fabric twisted with strands of twinkle lights is a beautiful, easy and inexpensive effect, even if you can't drape the entire ceiling.  Depending on when your wedding is, I'd suggest hitting the after-Christmas sales for the lights.  Agree with the lights-in-trees idea you've heard and with PP about paper lanterns in white or your wedding colors. 

We are also trying to figure out ways to light without turning on the icky overhead flourescents ... so far my idea list includes lighted Chinese lanterns (found them for about $2 each online) and some DIY candle lanterns: repurposing glass jars -- I'll decorate them with pressed flowers and/or decoupaged paper, maybe lace, and something to cover the rims (ribbon, raffia, sprigs of dried lavender).  I'm debating real vs. battery-operated candles; I'll probably see which provides more light.

Candle centerpieces are a great way to add light and beauty inexpensively.  Depending on whether you go rustic or classic, you can buy shallow bowls at the dollar store, put river rocks, sand, red stones or water beads in the bottom, add water and floating candles.  You could float some red roses or carnations in there, too, or scatter red rose petals, river stones or decorative red glass marbles on the table around each bowl.  Thrift stores tend to have a LOT of glass options for cheap ($0.35 per piece around here):  the floating-candles-and-roses centerpieces would be beautiful in a grouping of cut-glass punch cups.

For a rustic style, check eBay and Etsy for birch bark candle holders, vases and "tubes" (hollowed-out rounds of bark from small trees and branches:  they are often cheaper and if you slip a mason jar or inexpensive glass cylinder into one, you have a vase or candleholder).  Birch bark vases with red roses would be a beautiful way to do red and gray.

Do you have Michaels craft stores in your area?  I was in one today and they had battery operated taper-style candles for $2-3 each.  If you get on their email list they send out coupons frequently, and again, consider end-of-season sales for candles, greenery, ribbon, and the like.

Just a few thoughts; sorry it ran a little long.  I'm doing something very similar (trying to make a basic fellowship hall beautiful) so I've been gathering a LOT of ideas from books, websites, etc.
  • Options

i agree with pp.  is there a way you can look at previous weddings there and get ideas.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_calling-all-knotties-help-for-a-plain-reception-venue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:d4ae82c9-8532-4073-a98f-c0fa5190dbe0Post:b6240417-8591-4388-92d7-f4486a2332f6">Re: Calling all knotties!! Help for a PLAIN reception venue.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tulle or white fabric twisted with strands of twinkle lights is a beautiful, easy and inexpensive effect, even if you can't drape the entire ceiling.  Depending on when your wedding is, I'd suggest hitting the after-Christmas sales for the lights.  Agree with the lights-in-trees idea you've heard and with PP about paper lanterns in white or your wedding colors.  We are also trying to figure out ways to light without turning on the icky overhead flourescents ... so far my idea list includes lighted Chinese lanterns (found them for about $2 each online) and some DIY candle lanterns: repurposing glass jars -- I'll decorate them with pressed flowers and/or decoupaged paper, maybe lace, and something to cover the rims (ribbon, raffia, sprigs of dried lavender).  I'm debating real vs. battery-operated candles; I'll probably see which provides more light. Candle centerpieces are a great way to add light and beauty inexpensively.  Depending on whether you go rustic or classic, you can buy shallow bowls at the dollar store, put river rocks, sand, red stones or water beads in the bottom, add water and floating candles.  You could float some red roses or carnations in there, too, or scatter red rose petals, river stones or decorative red glass marbles on the table around each bowl.  Thrift stores tend to have a LOT of glass options for cheap ($0.35 per piece around here):  the floating-candles-and-roses centerpieces would be beautiful in a grouping of cut-glass punch cups. For a rustic style, check eBay and Etsy for birch bark candle holders, vases and "tubes" (hollowed-out rounds of bark from small trees and branches:  they are often cheaper and if you slip a mason jar or inexpensive glass cylinder into one, you have a vase or candleholder).  Birch bark vases with red roses would be a beautiful way to do red and gray. Do you have Michaels craft stores in your area?  I was in one today and they had battery operated taper-style candles for $2-3 each.  If you get on their email list they send out coupons frequently, and again, consider end-of-season sales for candles, greenery, ribbon, and the like. Just a few thoughts; sorry it ran a little long.  I'm doing something very similar (trying to make a basic fellowship hall beautiful) so I've been gathering a LOT of ideas from books, websites, etc.
    Posted by reppunzel[/QUOTE]

Check out orientaltrading.com they have a lot of the paper lanterns at great prices!!!!
  • Options
    Also, the wedding featured here: http://www.stylemepretty.com/2010/10/15/indiana-wedding-by-jeffrey-and-julia-woods/     used a lot of lanterns, pinwheels, and whatnot. The venue was a college's rec hall or something like that and you can barely tell because they're decorated so well. Might have some ideas for you. :)
  • Options
    We are in a similar situation.  I saw pictures of a ceiling that used the plastic tablecovers (that you can buy in a roll at party city).  It's a sleek look and I like it much better than tulle (sorry tulle lovers!)
    If you are hoping to sell after, then help out other brides and buy their stuff.  Craigslist can have some great finds - and of course - negotiate.  I have bought tea lights, table cloths and lanterns from other brides.  Of which I'll sell for even less to the next bride.
    Michael's should be your best friend.  Use that 40% off one item coupon EVERY time you go!  If you can wait and buy decorations on Black Friday - wait.  We bought so much at Michael's the night of Thanksgiving for their sale - and got a great deal!
    We are not doing any floral - too expensive.  So, we have dollar tree vases that we are doing branches (real, that we got from someone cutting down a bunch of trees) on half and the others we are doing candles from Ikea.
    No matter what - your wedding will be gorgeous.  Make it unique to you, add in some little touches, and that's what people will remember. 
  • Options

where are you located? I might be able to really help you here...here's my email kedetar@gmail.com  email me and we can discuss some possibilities to make your wedding look like something out of a fairytale!
    Kristy

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards