Snarky Brides

Hell hath frozen over

My H declared yesterday for the first time that I made something that tastes better than his mom's.  He worships his mother's cooking, especially her rolls, and it was decreed that the rolls I made yesterday (PW's no knead rolls) were better than his mom's.  My celebratory dance involved an Axl Rose-like snake move complete with jitterbug finger wagging.  He seems to have forgotten I made these same rolls twice last year, but whatevs.  I'll take my victory just the same.
"That chick wins at Penises, for sure." -- Fenton

Re: Hell hath frozen over

• I have recieved this from A for almost every, but lasgna:)

Yay, for pushing MIL's out.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
    "Someday we will look at our babies and know it will be worth it. If it was easy, we would not have had our babies, the babies we were meant to have." From Amy052006
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am so glad my MIL is not a strong cook.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • My husband has no food memory. He can really like something, but by the next day he will have forgotten it. I constantly get asked,

"Have we had this before?" 
    "Yes, you said you really liked it." 
    "Oh, I do. I just don't remember it. You should make it again, though." 
  • My MIL sells her baked goods at the farmer's markets.  So I don't bake anything that she does - it would just never compare.  It works out well.  I get to eat yummy cookies, pies, etc without any work.

Actually, in general MIL and I don't seem to make the same dishes, so I don't have to worry about being compared to her. I didn't realize that until this post.
  • Mike's mom's specialty is macaroni noodles with milk and clumps of cheese (AKA macaroni and cheese), overcooked pork tenderloins, and green beans. So there's nowhere to go but up.  My mom, dad, and grandma are all excellent cooks and bakers, so more often than not the standard for Mike is if something is better or not quite as good as my family's.
    image Ready to rumble.
  • I am fortunate in this respect. H is stereotypically Irish, so if I can do better than boiling something or making cream corn casserole, I win.

I am dying to make these rolls, but I am banned from baking in my house. He has a monopoly on it.
    For less then ten cents a day, you can feed a hungry child.
  • My MIL is a terrible cook.  F can't remember one thing she ever made that he likes.  He does, however, love my mother's cooking and holds me to her standard.
  • Please ship me some rolls ASAP.  I'm sure they are better than my mom's rolls too.

Brian tries to make me eat things his mom used to "cook": kielbasa, meatloaf with vegetable soup on top (which looks like vomit when baked),  some gross chicken casserole with CANNED chicken and cream of chicken soup, "chocolate cream pie" (chocolate pudding in a store bought pie crust).   It isn't hard for me to beat his mom's cooking.  But I hate it when he tries to make me eat that crap.

His mother offered to make dessert for thanksgiving.  Umm, no thanks.  Make your crappy green bean casserole instead.
  • Also, please include a video clip of your victory dance with the rolls.
  • I'm sure my MIL is a good cook, but her cooking is not as life changingly awesome as my H seems to think it is.  I tried making her ressypee for rolls once, and they came out tasting like a mouthful of flour.  My H said they tasted fine to him, so maybe her rolls are just gross?  I haven't really experienced much in the way of her cooking beyond French Breakfast Puffs.
  • I guess I should be glad that Zane can't remember food. My MIL is an excellent cook. I love staying with them because they're awesome, but if they weren't the food alone would be worth it. 
  • Lorne does most of the cooking for us (well, the cooking that doesn't involve quesadillas and grilled cheese sandwiches). It never occurred to me to compare him to my mom. I'm totally going to do that to him now.

• That's how I feel Buddha!  Except my IL's live next door so we don't stay, we just go over to eat.

When my daughter was born almost 3 years ago, we had an ice storm that knocked the power out for 5 (?) days.  We went to stay with IL's then because they had wood heat and a gas water heater.  MIL was making full meals on the wood stove.  And they were yummy.  I was in awe.

• My MIL does a few things really well (her pasta fazool is out of this world), but most of her cooking is lackluster at best.  She's a notorious over-cooker.  It took me about two months to perfect all of her signature dishes, and since then I haven't heard a peep out of H about doing things his mom's way. 

The biggest adjustment for my H was that his mom almost never cooks fresh vegetables.  There are at least half a dozen things that he swore up and down he hated that he's since discovered he really, really likes if they're not from a can.  I get that she was super busy and on a tight budget with 5 kids, but seriously.  Why even bother with something like asparagus if you're using canned?  They taste like metallic feet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My mother in law is a great cook.  She has a handful of signature dishes she makes and everyone loves all of it.  I think her secret ingredient in everything is butter and extra fat.  Despite that, my husband generally loves my cooking.  He never complains or compares.

There is one think my MIL does food-wise that I HATE.  On New Years Day she has the family over and cooks a bunch of traditional czech dishes.  Vom.  ::shudders::  She can go ahead and be the best at those ressypees.  I have no desire to complete.

And Cali, I'm having a pre-thanksgiving Turkey dinner tonight.  I was going to buy frozen rolls but you just inspired me.  I started cooking these rolls 30 minutes ago after opening this post.  Yay for handmade rolls! 
  • Speaking of canned asparagus - H's family eats this on all the big holidays.  I was horrified to discover this.  I didn't even know they canned asparagus.  Holy crap.  So gross.  That is not an appropriate texture for asparagus.

They also eat creamed spinach at every holiday.  I think it's really more of a spinach/butter soup.  I skip that one as well.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hell-hath-frozen-over?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:17Discussion:93864f78-28a7-4085-a658-751750e2fa3bPost:a97e7ff8-9e3c-49c8-af7b-19e946b9ac95">Re: Hell hath frozen over</a>:
    [QUOTE]Speaking of canned asparagus - H's family eats this on all the big holidays.  I was horrified to discover this.  I didn't even know they canned asparagus.  Holy crap.  So gross.  That is not an appropriate texture for asparagus. They also eat creamed spinach at every holiday.  I think it's really more of a spinach/butter soup.  I skip that one as well.
    Posted by ChristinS[/QUOTE]

<div>I love good, old Southern creamed spinach, but it's really more fat than vegetable. Canned asparagus, however, sounds appalling. I can't even do frozen asparagus. It has to be fresh. Mmmm...asparagus. </div>
  • I've starting ignoring my H's "I don't like ___" b/c I've learned (and he has started to learn) what he means is "I don't like my mom's _____."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hell-hath-frozen-over?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:93864f78-28a7-4085-a658-751750e2fa3bPost:a97e7ff8-9e3c-49c8-af7b-19e946b9ac95">Re: Hell hath frozen over</a>:
    [QUOTE]Speaking of canned asparagus - H's family eats this on all the big holidays.  I was horrified to discover this.  I didn't even know they canned asparagus.  Holy crap.  So gross.  That is not an appropriate texture for asparagus. They also eat creamed spinach at every holiday.  I think it's really more of a spinach/butter soup.  I skip that one as well.
    Posted by ChristinS[/QUOTE]

Canned vegetables are nasty but canned asparagus may be the worst of the lot.

That's not creamed spinach.

• The Secret of Winning OotSonInLaw:

I sent him home made chocolate chip cookies every week.

I made real Shepards Pie on Friday nights when they drove down to visit. and real bread, not from the store

That Easter just before he proposed, I made ham.  Real ham, not pre cooked spiral ham.  and scalloped potatoes. and asparagus (not canned) and salad. Not iceberg lettuce.

and roast beef from rib roast.

He was a goner.

BUT, he assumed I had taught M how to cook.  Poor man, it was too late when he found out
  • My MIL couldn't cook. They decided to visit us for dinner(from 2.5 hours away) and since I worked I threw a roast in the crock pot before work. It is how I always make them and they turn out fabulously. No big deal, the easiest thing I could have made. 

Also, my H and I do not use Oil & Vinegar on our salads so I didn't put any out for the salad I'd made. I'm putting dinner on the table, my FIL and MIL sit down, FIL starts to serve himself and I let lose with "You can wait until the cook sits down and we have grace. If I'm good enough to cook for you, you will be good enough to wait for me to sit down." (Not exactly a shrinking violet! and yes, they hated me).  So I sit down, MIL asks for Oil & Vinegar, I told her we don't have any. SHe says "You have to have oil and vinegar." Then gets up and proceeds to go through my refrigerator and cupboards only to learn I really don't.

After dinner and they've left, my H says.."did I tell you my mom can't cook a roast to save her life. They are always dry as dirt."  So I'm sure she figured I fixed a roast to throw that in her face but in reality it's the easiest thing in the world to make. Taught my son, he would make them in a little crock pot in his dorm room at college and have people lined up outside his door begging for some of it.

• Gee, I can't understand why anybody wouldn't like you. 
  • :scratches SkippyLou off dinner party invite list:
    image Ready to rumble.
  • Hey, if they can't accept that you're a Hidden Valley Ranch household, then they can go straight to hell.
  • There's nothing that says good hostess like berating the guests for their manners.
  • Twan likes my marinara sauce better than my MIL's.  Do you know how momentous it is to beat a wannabe Italian woman at pasta sauce?  If she was actually Italian and not 1/4, it would be even better.

I go fresh on most veggies, but I still prefer canned green beans to fresh.  They're too firm fresh.  Green bean casserole is really the only good way to eat GBs. 

and I LOOOOOOVE creamed spinach.
    "As of page 2 this might be the most boring argument ever. It's making me long for Rape Day." - Mouse
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_snarky-brides_hell-hath-frozen-over?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:17Discussion:93864f78-28a7-4085-a658-751750e2fa3bPost:120ceb5a-5a9f-49f9-88b6-c103628204d4">Re: Hell hath frozen over</a>:
    [QUOTE]My MIL couldn't cook. They decided to visit us for dinner(from 2.5 hours away) and since I worked I threw a roast in the crock pot before work. It is how I always make them and they turn out fabulously. No big deal, the easiest thing I could have made.  Also, my H and I do not use Oil & Vinegar on our salads so I didn't put any out for the salad I'd made. I'm putting dinner on the table, my FIL and MIL sit down, FIL starts to serve himself and I let lose with "You can wait until the cook sits down and we have grace. If I'm good enough to cook for you, you will be good enough to wait for me to sit down." (Not exactly a shrinking violet! and yes, they hated me).  So I sit down, MIL asks for Oil & Vinegar, I told her we don't have any. SHe says "You have to have oil and vinegar." Then gets up and proceeds to go through my refrigerator and cupboards only to learn I really don't. After dinner and they've left, my H says.."did I tell you my mom can't cook a roast to save her life. They are always dry as dirt."  So I'm sure she figured I fixed a roast to throw that in her face but in reality it's the easiest thing in the world to make. Taught my son, he would make them in a little crock pot in his dorm room at college and have people lined up outside his door begging for some of it.
    Posted by skippylouwho[/QUOTE]

um, Skippy.  You joined the knot in 1998 and your wedding is 305 days off.  Way to plan ahead
  • My MIL is a horrible cook.  Or at least Brett and I think so.  She used no spices or seasonings.

I get the feeling Brett's parents don't like my cooking either, though.  I made porkchops marinated with garlic and ginger and some other stuff, and Brett's dad said, "You know, you can taste a ton of different flavors in this, and not a one of them's pork."  It's cool, go back to your runny mashed potatoes without even salt in them.  More flavor for me.

The nerve!
    House | Blog
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards