Wedding Invitations & Paper

Question re: Kinkos/Staples/Office Max to print invitations

Hey ladies!  I rarely post on TK but after being inspired by everyones diy invitations Ive decided that this is something that I would like to do for my wedding. I was wondering if any of you have used an outside company to print your invitations on pre-cut cardstock for you, whether it be Fedex Kinkos or Staples or even a private printing place. If you have, approximately how much did is cost and do you think the extra cost was worth it?

Thanks alot!

Re: Question re: Kinkos/Staples/Office Max to print invitations

• I had my AHR invites printed at Kinkos.  I want to say it was like $1.20 each to print and cut them.  Since we were looking at quite a lot of invitations (maybe 150 or so), the convenience was definitely worth the added cost, it would have been a massive pain to trim up all that paper ourselves.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Thanks so much!  Im looking at buying the paper pre-cut so they would only need to print it.  We should only have about 75 invitations as well so it isnt too many, but I dont think I want to deal with the hassle of trying to print on smaller paper.  Not to mention that I cant cut a straight line to save my life.. even with a paper cutter!  
  • How small is small?  I know we ran into a couple of problems printing our pre-cut programs, but that was more due to the paper being especially thin than small.  Our 4x6 envelopes printed with no issues; most home printers are designed to handle a variety of paper sizes.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Most big box office supply stores will only print on full size paper (8.5x11). You may need to look for an independent print shop in your town if you want to use pre-cut.
  • I had everything printed at Staples on full size paper and then cut there. I don't think they will print on pre cut. But it worked out cheaper anyway since I could get 2 invites per page, 4 RSVPs per page and 5 reception cards per page. It was like, $.50 per page for color printing at my local Staples. Then I had them cut it all down with their industrial cutter for $2 per cut, and each cut can go through a stack of pages (our biggest stack was 55 sheets of cardstock, they could have done more). I found that was easier than dealing with precut pieces and fighting with a printer for them to go through.

I will say Staples messed up several times. They always corrected their mistakes at no cost, but it took a lot of extra time. For example, they printed the invites in black and white instead of color, and another time they printed the wrong file since they had two saved on their computer. It wouldn't have been bad if I was using their paper, but as it was I had to keep going home and getting more paper and bringing it to them. They did refund me the cost of the paper they ruined though. It was still worth it to me since I can't cut straight with a paper cutter to save my life.

HTH.
  • I had stuff printed at OfficeMax on regular size cardstock, and cut them myself.  Total printing costs were $55 or so, for 85 invites.  Color front, b/w back, and a separate single sided color print. 
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I uploaded my invitations to fedex.com and picked them up at the local Kinkos.  They were printed on full sized cardstock, then I had Kinkos cut them down to size.  I'm not sure if Kinkos will print onto pre-cut cardstock as it might not run through their machines.
  • Thanks so much!  The smallest size would be for the RSVP and Reception cards. Since all of you mention buying the full size paper and having them cut them then I trust thats the best way. =)  The main reason that I was going to to with the pre cut was so 1. I didnt have to cut it because Im terrible at anything that requires a straight line. And 2. So that I would be able to back the main invitation on a panel. But Im sure I can also have them cut the panel down to size if need be.

That being said, I was looking at the cards and pockets website to purchase the paper. Do any of you have any other recommendations for any other paper sites to check out?

Thanks alot!  Your all so helpful.  =)
  • FedEx Kinko's doesn't print on pre-cut cardstock. I just called them today and they told me they only do it on full sheets.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_invites-paper_question-re-kinkosstaplesoffice-max-print-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:cd062f89-8272-496a-b0ab-225e1f87acecDiscussion:6afa2e74-e9c8-4fca-b64b-ceaba9ba5b57Post:4aacf312-1148-4f78-b4c3-c64a6cddf122">Re: Question re: Kinkos/Staples/Office Max to print invitations</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks so much!  The smallest size would be for the RSVP and Reception cards. Since all of you mention buying the full size paper and having them cut them then I trust thats the best way. =)  The main reason that I was going to to with the pre cut was so 1. I didnt have to cut it because Im terrible at anything that requires a straight line. And 2. So that I would be able to back the main invitation on a panel. But Im sure I can also have them cut the panel down to size if need be. That being said, I was looking at the cards and pockets website to purchase the paper. Do any of you have any other recommendations for any other paper sites to check out? Thanks alot!  Your all so helpful.  =)
    Posted by Diana*[/QUOTE]

I bought the invite paper itself from Paper Source-- I liked the texture better than the cream paper at C&P anyway. But the backings and such I bought at C&P and at Paper Presentation in NYC. Like you, I had them cut to size just a little smaller than the 5x7 backing that I had gotten at C&P.

C&P also does printing if you wanted to go that way. I never really priced it out since I didn't like their paper so much, but I believe it was pretty reasonable, then you can assemble yourself.
  • Thanks for the reference. I checked out paper presentations when I was still working in the city but I figured that places online would be most cost effective.  Thanks for the tip of splitting up the places where I get everything. =)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards