Students

Wedding during a semester...

I am starting grad school this fall and am planning on getting married Sept. 10, 2011. I'm having doubts now since my date is during a school semester. I mean, we'll get married, have our honeymoon and then have to go to school or work (FI) that next week. Seems like there is no time to soak it all in before getting back to real life. I guess that's how it is...the honeymoon can't last forever, know what I mean?

Re: Wedding during a semester...

• i'm confused - ideally, you want to get married, have a honeymoon AND take more time off before going back to the "real world"?  or are you having to give up having a honeymoon because of school? (or have a shorter one)

are you not living together before and need time to move post honeymoon before the insanity starts again?  i guess i'm not seeing why you'd have a honeymoon AND time off together before reality.
  • prncszprncsz member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    Our wedding won't be during the semester luckily the date we chose was one week after my summer finals so I will have the week of the wedding and then maybe two weeks after the wedding which will give us time for a week long honeymoon before I start year two of grad school. Was there any particular reason you chose September instead of maybe August just before you start up grad school again?
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PersonalMilestone Photobucket
  • We are also getting married in the middle of the semester. We thought the summer was out because I was supposed to work in Greece (ended up not happening but by that point everything was booked) and I've always wanted a fall wedding anyways. October was my ideal month but we had to settle for November, the weekend before Thanksgiving break, so that we could have a honeymoon before I had to go back to school.
    Anniversary
  • Ours is in the middle of my semester and I'm starting grad school, we're planning on delaying the honeymoon until winter break, which sucks, but there's no other way to really work it in.

• We picked September bc we live in Texas and thought by then the weather would be a little cooler. We originally thought May but were thinking rain could be an issue being spring. Anyways, what i'm saying is I just realized I would be in the middle of a semester so it might be hard to have my wedding, go on a honeymoon, and then come back and have to catch up on classes. All the while letting the "im married!" sink in without being too stressed with school.

I think im stressing bc my mom thinks i should wait until after grad school to plan the wedding but that could be 2 years away and I'm ready to be married sooner. So my only choice is to plan it in the midst of grad. school.
  • I don't think it's really bad to have it during the semester, although missing classes for your HM kind of stinks - you may want to consider postponing the HM until winter or summer break.  I suppose it depends on how much you'll be missing; our wedding is September 10th and FI is missing just his first class in the one course he's taking, which is basically just handing out the syllabus anyway.

That being said, I don't think you have to wait until you graduate to have the wedding not be in the midst of classes; you could plan it for a break.  And in my experience, September in DFW is still pretty freaking hot.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We are getting married in October and I will be student teaching!  I will only miss 2 days though, the day after the wedding (a Monday)  and the following Friday bc we will leave for our honeymoon on Thursday night.  I really don't think its going to be super bad, I pretty much have everything done and before I start back to school I will be e-mailing my vendors and telling them to communicate via phone with me or my mom.  I really don't think it is a big deal, my fiance just went through paramedic class which was stressful and I have told him if I could deal with that for a year he could deal with me being stressed for 4 months.  I'll go through the OMG I'm married everytime I see my wedding band!
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My wedding was a Friday at the end of April. We picked our date because it was teh 60th anniversary of my grandparent's engagement. That being said it was the last week of classes for my first semester of grad school. After the wedding was finals. We didn't go on our HM until Memorial Day week, which happened to be the second week of summer session, but my classes were online so that I wouldn't be missing classtime. I would have prefered to take the HM during the week break I had. I finished most of the work for school (final projects) before the wedding. Having course working during the HM sucked, so try to avoid that. I liked having time between the wedding and HM because we had time for it to sink in and got TYs out before we left.

Philly Sig Challenge

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    For Sale

magicalkingdoms.com Ticker
  • klgrh6klgrh6 member
    First Comment

We are also getting married in the middle of a semester. Our date is late-March and is set for our spring break which allows for a HM. But the week of the wedding, I will have mid-terms & the last minute wedding plans. My FI will be student teaching at this time. It's stressful but we're doing our best to get just about everything done before heading back to school in august. We chose the date because it was the only date to fit our schedules currently and we can't wait to get married. Our families think we're crazy & keep telling us how we're planning to live off love. It's annoying. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I will also be getting married during my first semester of grad school in October and we are waiting for our honeymoon either during thanksgiving or winter break. I think maybe waiting for the honeymoon will give you something else to look for and keep the "i'm married" bliss going. thats what i hope i will get out of it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Hello,
    I would not be too worried about it! I planned our whole wedding for October 9th
    (2010) two years ago, then I was accepted into graduate school. I will be entering my third semester (final one) in September and I will be beginning my second year of teaching. So what we did was we are getting married on a Saturday I will go to all my classes and teach up to the day of the wedding...then I will tell my professors IN PERSON a week before why I am missing from 11-15 and my principal of course to ensure understanding. But we are getting married on the 9th...leaving for our honeymoon that night and coming back on the 16th (following Saturday) and then I will be back to work on Monday morning the 18th. I know I was very stressed out about it at first, but believe me it is not worth the wait!! I say just go for it!! Good luck to you and your fiance!!
  • were getting married nov 19th and then not taking our week long honeymoon till the 28th because it was cheaper, so il be missing a week of school 2 weeks before finals :/ but since i knew that was going to happen i signed up for mostly online classes since they allow more flexibility. they r slightly harder for me than in-class but i figure its worth it. 
  • KS3Pink: Me too! I think I will be taking the friday before and the monday after but thats it.

Since Im student teaching we decided to wait until January to go on our honeymoon, that way FI can relax and go back to work and I dont have to worry about jumping back into the student teaching routine after a week away. Might be similar since a week of classes can be a lot to miss depending on our classes. You'll figure it out though :) Just figure out what will work best for your situation
  • The simplest solution is to delay the HM and not miss school.  I have a mid-semester wedding and my HM isn't until July after the bar exam is over.  You don't have to take a HM immediately after the wedding.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • hferg1hferg1 member
    First Comment
    We're getting married on Oct. 8, 2010. That is directly in the middle of my last semester of my Studio Art degree (to fully understand that I should say this: I have the biggest Art Show of my life just over a month later). It's going to be stressful but we really wanted a fall wedding and that was our best option. It isn't going to be "easy" but marriage rarely is to begin with. A lot of people look at us funny when we say our date but I figure I would much rather have my husband by my side throughout the whole month leading up to it than be living in two different places and trying to manage on my own. Good luck to you guys! 
  • I am getting married March 5, 2011, which is the day after Spring Break begins, then taking our honeymoon over Spring Break! I hope I don't have any pressing homework I need to get done over break!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards