Honeymoon Discussions

Honeymoon Problems :(

I have a problem, my fiance and I cannot agree where to go on our honeymoon. He wants to go on a $5000 trip to Jamaica. I would like to go on a $2000 cruise to the Caribbean. I can't fathom spending that type of money right now in our lives... Can anyone help me on how to approach this with him?

Re: Honeymoon Problems :(

• It's hard to say as I don't know what your money situation is and the type of people you and your FI are. You know your FI the best. The only way to address the issue is to sit down, talk about finances, talk about what you both want to get out of your honeymoon, and come to a compromise. GL! Hope everything works out! =]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_honeymoon-problems?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:0eb0a315-5b74-4958-b689-bc0c767f6520Post:6bb27981-db8e-4be2-a8f8-b5135f1a8a17">Honeymoon Problems :(</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a problem, my fiance and I cannot agree where to go on our honeymoon. He wants to go on a $5000 trip to Jamaica. I would like to go on a $2000 cruise to the Caribbean. I can't fathom spending that type of money right now in our lives... Can anyone help me on how to approach this with him?
    Posted by soontobelong611[/QUOTE]

<font color="#008080">Why don't you compromise...?
    We went on an amazing honeymmon to Jamaica ~ all inclusive, air fare included (1st class!) for half of $5000!</font>
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• Honestly, I don't think the HM is the issue here. The issue is that you need help trying to figure out money with your FI. You guys really need to get on the same page about finances before you get married, or this will continue to be a huge issue.

So the conversation shouldn't be about where to go, it should be about how much you feel is appropriate to have in savings, how important travel is to you both (and how important luxury vs. budget travel is), and how much money you can actually afford to spend taking those considerations into account. Once you have a budget you're both comfortable with, find the Caribbean destination that will work for you, since it sounds like you agree on going to that area.
  • i guess it comes down to this: what can you afford?
    everything after that is compromise.

• Thanks everyone for so many responses!

Guess I wasn't clear on what I was trying to ask. We can afford the Jamaica trip, it's just going to require some sacrifice on both our parts, and that is why I wanted to do the cruise, because it would take away some stress.

To emilyinchile: We have discussed finances thoroughly, and agree on most things. This was just an issue because he felt very strongly about the honeymoon itself. 

Anyway, the problem is solved, and this is how I did it!! :) 

I told him that I would pay a portion, but he would be paying the majority (a set number was agreed on). That way, I am focused on wedding details, and just some of my energy and time is focused on the trip. 

Thanks everyone! :) Problem Solved!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards