May 2013 Weddings
Options

Anyone having issues with vendors? *vent*

I'm just feeling so frustrated over issues with vendors - mostly photography.

Right now I'm a little frustrated with the DJ. We sent in our contract deposit on 06/11. Because it was sent to a PO box, the DJ only stops there once a week. I called on the 18th to see if everything was received as our deposit check hadn't been cashed yet. That's when he told me that he only goes by once a week. He called me on the 19th to tell me that he received it and that he'd be sending me an email in a couple of days with login information for the website (where we can make additional payments and do our song information).

About a week and a half later, we haven't heard anything from him. Though he did just cash the check on the 21st, I figured maybe he was waiting until that cleared. I meant to call this afternoon (but it's been a busy day) to find out when he's going to be getting that information to me (will be calling Monday!). I'm really having doubts about this guy - FI wanted the cheapst, and we're definitely getting the cheapest. Undecided

The photographer is a totally different headache.

First photographer took a month to respond to us (initally very responsive, but took a month to send the information by email that he said he was going to send). FI still wants to go with him because he's the cheapest.

We ended up moving onto photographer #2 which is a friend of my mom's friend. I discussed over the phone the details. He said the date was open and that he'd send me a contract via email. A week and a half later, no response. I became hesistant at this point fearing the same as photographer #1. My mom's friend spoke with his wife who nudged him into contacting me. He tells me that he's just been busy and just got his new laptop and still had to draft a contact. He said he'd have it to me by the following week.

He held true to his word and got it to us 06/20 - He didn't send his address so we can return the signed contract & deposit - he wanted us to look it over first and if everything looked okay, he'd send his address. I advised him that we'd have it looked over by the weekend (we had a busy remainder of the week as we were about to start our loan process for the house we're trying to buy).

I made FI sit down with me and look over the contract - very thrown together, but it still had all the important information. I sent a text (one means of communication he suggested) on Saturday 06/23 stating that everything looked good with the contract, that it was filled out and that we just needed his address to send it back. No response. Sunday 06/24 I responded with the same information as the text to make sure that he would get one of the two. A week later, no response from him. And he's been seen BSing around on facebook.

I am *finally* not the only one saying we need to move on from this guy - my instinct was on from the first lack of communication. So now, we still have nothing.

We really liked this other photographer, but she's booked. Others are out of our budget. Not to mention that FI wants to go as cheap as possible (I don't agree - not to say that I want to spend our whole budget on a photographer, but at least put the money in to get something of quality back). We asked FI's SIL as she's starting her own photography business however she opted not to do it and to just be a guest - she did FI's cousin's wedding at the beginning of the month and didn't get as many pictures as she would have liked due to being stopped by so many family members. Figured that was a long shot, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Right now we're waiting for a response from my mom's friend's neice (who does have a professional website set up - she's still just getting started - and I'm okay with that, everyone starts somewhere - but hopefully the professional looking website will mean prompt responses, even if she's booked).

If this doesn't work out we'll probably have to go back to photographer #1 - but I'm reluctant due to the fact that it took him a month to email us the information. Additionally, I'm worried that he'll end up rejecting us due to our living arrangements. He's a pastor and FI and I aren't having a traditional wedding, living together before marriage, etc. His contract wants to know my address & FI's address and the after wedding address. He has a policy stating that he will not photograph alcoholic receptions (which we decided not to have alcohol for practicality reasons) - which makes me feel that he may have an issue with our non-traditional wedding and living arrangements. FI said we could just lie about our address - which we can, but I don't feel like we should have to lie about who we are just to get a photographer. He has the right to not work with us, but I'm not going to lie just so he will.

Sorry about the long vent, but I'm getting very anxious about the photography - the longer this goes on, I'm worried that we're going to end up losing out. I'm totally heartbroken over the one photographer being booked - I like her a lot. She is still doing our e-pics, and just from the correspondence I've had with her for that so far, I adore her and just really am disappointed that she's booked because I feel like she'd be great to work with (and to be honest, I feel like she's setting the bar of what should be normal for a good vendor). With our date being a holiday weekend, I'm worried that we're going to end up with camera phones and disposables.

Sorry for the tldr; a cookie to anyone who got through all that! It's okay if you lie and say you did Wink
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anyone having issues with vendors? *vent*

• Options
    Are there any other possible dates in May that you could change too that your fav photographer has available? My motto about getting things "cheap" is you get what you pay for... If photography is something you truly care about then maybe you should recalculate some things in your budget so you can have a photographer you love and trust. If your gut instinct tell you to look somewhere else then follow that feeling. 9 times out of 10 it's right... Have you asked your local board for recommendations in regards to a photographer?
    May 2013 January Siggy Challenge:The Cake!!!
    cake4
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Haha, I'm from NW PA. I should just come and take photos for you.

What a headache.
    I will say that the one place to put money is photography, and I don't say that as a photographer. I say it as a bride who did the rounds with a non-responsive photographer who then ended up butchering almost every photo from my wedding, and I hate them all... then lost the negatives, so all I have are a book of cheaply printed 4x6s and no reprint release.
    You live you learn, and that's my one sticking point this time. We are spending over 1/4 of our budget on a photographer who I love and trust and who will take amazing photos of the wedding.
    My thought process is, you spend money on a drses, hair, makeup, flowers, etc, and the dress won't fit in 20 years, the makeup will be washed off, your flowers will be dead and gone, cake will have been eaten, and invitations will be thrown away. The only thing that wil be left are the photos to show for all the work you put into the wedding.
    To me, photographers who are talented and run a successful business generally respond back quickly... but they also charge for their experience and good customer service.
    Jackie (Photographer by trade) & Patrick (Military Police Officer)
    May 18, 2013
    "I Love My Wounded Warrior"
    May 2013 Brides November Sig: The venue
  • Options
    Wow I never had those kind of issues an I would not go with someone who wasn't responsive ... I'm still on my florist search due to the guy I wanted not responding timely smh. I also agree pp photography isn't the area to plainly said go cheap. When everything is said and done all that's left are your memories and the pictures. I went over budget on mine but my photographer is amazing he's done 2 weddings I know and is doing another two before mine. He always responded within max time 1 week and the day I signed contract within 30 min! At the end of the day you pay for what you get!
  • Options
    As far as changing our date to another day in May, we're kind of stuck on the 25th. The venue that we like is only available from the first Friday before Memorial Day (which we have booked 1/2 that Friday and full day Saturday), until Labor Day, I believe. In our location, it's very difficult to come by outdoor wedding locations (that also provide cover from sun/rain/etc) & provides enough room for our guests.

We're avoiding June because everyone and their mother either has a birthday or wedding anniversary. We figure July/August are just going to be too hot. September is just too far off lol

If it weren't for the ceremony venue, we wouldn't have an issue changing the date (actually anticipated May 18 originally but changed it d/t the venue).

I agree that we should pay more for the photographer. I'm already aniticipating low budget on the dress, we're re-using FSIL's centerpieces (not thrilled about it, but not high on the priority list), flowers will be fake & are anticipating purchasing them half off. We've cut our guest list & some food choices which will decrease our reception by $1000-$1500 (which we need to do regardless of the photographer).

So far everyone has thought me being unreasonable in my expectations in the response time with photographers thus far. But I just really feel like the photographer should take pride in their business and keep communication open - and their lack of communication indicates their interest level. I feel like it's their job to respond promptly (even if it's just something stating that they haven't the opportunity to do xyz and they haven't forgotten, etc); Everyone keeps saying to keep contacting them for the information - but I just feel like if I have to keep contacting them and asking them to do what they say they were going to do, what issues are we going to have down the road?

Photographer #2 - I kept saying that if it's like pulling teeth to just get the contract to review and fill out as well as trying to get his address so we can send it back, what are we going to be in for in trying to get our pictures afterwards? I've read enough horror stories on here that raise those red flags.

I personally do not want to go with someone that does this as a side business - that's not to say that all people with photography as a side business is not good, but I feel like if we keep going that route, we're not going to get anything. If they lose out on a photo opportunity, they still have income. So far discussing options with other photographers that have their business as their bread & butter, they are on top of everything. HUGE difference.

Right now I'm waiting to hear back from one - my mom's friend's niece. I'm not really sure how long I should give her to to respond due to the holiday week (possible vacation?).

FI and I really need to sit down and talk and figure this out because we're going to end up missing out or end up with someone who will give us crappy photos or we'll be lucky to get any at all. (Other) FSIL got totally screwed over on her's - they got only maybe 3 pictures back which were all blurry and couldn't get in contact with her about other (better) pictures. They lost a lot of money.

I, personally, think that we need to get away from attempting to go with people that family recommends because so far it's not working out - and I don't want to risk hurt feelings amongst anyone should something not work out.

I did post on my local board for recommendations, however nothing yet (it's pretty slow).

I'm not quite sure how to handle photographer #2. It's been a week since I asked for his address without response. I'm not sure if I should email him and tell him that we're no longer interested in his services or if we should just move on and only respond accordingly if he ever decides to send me the information. I'm not sure how to handle this situation as the guy and his wife both work with my mom's friend who recommended him (and I don't want to risk any issues between her and my mom).

I think we're going to end up stuck with photographer #1 as I don't think FI is willing to pay much more for a photographer (and that's if he'll work with us despite our non-traditional ways).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I just heard back from the other photographer I just sent an inquiry to yesterday evening.

She is available for our date - the package that would best suit us is $1295.

I'm dreading this conversation with FI. But. I think this is the right thing to do.

I think I'm going to approach it by showing him all the places that we are saving money: Centerpieces (re-used from FSIL), flowers 1/2 off (I'm not intending on a large bouquet anyway - so hopefully the flowers won't be so bad), reception (d/t cut guest list), reduced cost in cake (d/t cut guest list), STD's (groupon for vista print for $17 w/ $70 value - more than our STD's will cost), DJ (already went with the cheapest!), skipping the favors (as most people leave them or toss them), etc.

Then we can compare the original cost to our updated costs and hopefully that'll calm him down with the fact that it's a little over triple for photographer #1, a little over double for photographer #2, and a little over $300 for the other photographer that we really liked but was booked.

Additionally, while a valid and most important fact, we're in the process of buying a house right now, so we will soon have a mortgage payment. But we only have a few things that we really need to go out and buy for the house - but I found a great way for saving money on those few items! AND going on a budget for our utilities.

Granted our house stuff is first and above all the most important, I know we can do this. We just need to have it written out on paper, and hopefully he'll become more okay with this photographer's price.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2013-weddings_anyone-having-issues-with-vendors-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:ea657a87-d1dc-4588-999f-31c9deeef720Discussion:ea108443-1987-4599-818c-44f4a36e0f14Post:077da001-50be-435e-be39-a3b1cb5035fb">Re: Anyone having issues with vendors? *vent*</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha, I'm from NW PA. I should just come and take photos for you. What a headache. I will say that the one place to put money is photography, and I don't say that as a photographer. I say it as a bride who did the rounds with a non-responsive photographer who then ended up butchering almost every photo from my wedding, and I hate them all... then lost the negatives, so all I have are a book of cheaply printed 4x6s and no reprint release. You live you learn, and that's my one sticking point this time. We are spending over 1/4 of our budget on a photographer who I love and trust and who will take amazing photos of the wedding. My thought process is, you spend money on a drses, hair, makeup, flowers, etc, and the dress won't fit in 20 years, the makeup will be washed off, your flowers will be dead and gone, cake will have been eaten, and invitations will be thrown away. The only thing that wil be left are the photos to show for all the work you put into the wedding. <strong>To me, photographers who are talented and run a successful business generally respond back quickly... but they also charge for their experience and good customer service.</strong>
    Posted by PJBHL5[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Couldn't agree more.

</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I haven't had any problems with vendors.  If a vendor didn't respond quickly to me originally, they were off my list.  As a business owner I can say that there is no excuse for not being responsive.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    Just take a breath and calm yourslef. These things will all fall into place. You will have amazing photos and your friends and family will have amazing ones of you as well. Vendors are a PAIN but, then again, you aren't their only client although you should feel like it HAHA. What's1200 in the scheme of things AND this is the part you'll have forever. Your DJ and food is gone the minute it's over but the photos will be around forever! 

May 2013 August Siggy: The Hair AHHHHHHHHHHHHH! NO idea! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I want my photographer to photograph the occasion in a way that captures the essence of the wedding and or love toward each other. And our love isn't conventional, so I wouldn't want a conventional photographer, especially one I feel uncomfortable with. I found my photographer through offbeatbride, maybe you could look there in their vendors section.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Vacation tickers fibromyalgia Pictures, Images and Photos Visit The Nest! Visit The Knot! Visit The Knot! Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    Naw, I do get that we aren't their only client and I do take into account that they still have families/friends/lives - that's where I'm trying to find the line - where is the line between their other client(s) and lives vs them not following through with what they say.

Photographer #2, his wife is due any day & has his hands full with his 2 year old. I really tried taking that into account with his slow responses or lackthereof - however my mom is facebook friends with him and sees him on there all time time and the fact that he can't contact me to say that he's been really busy & that he hasn't forgotten and will get back with me seems to rub me the wrong way. The fact that it's taking him almost 2 weeks to send us his address just seems...

It's been almost two weeks since I asked him for his address to send the contract and desposit to  and I still haven't heard back from him - and he's still had enough time on his hands to be on facebook, uploading pictures, and just hanging around there all day. That's where my problem is. Not that he may have other clients or that his wife may be having a baby or that he is busy taking care of his daughter - it's that he has totally neglected his part in his business. The only thing he followed through on without prompting is sending the contract. And maybe it does have to do with his wife having her baby - but a simple "I haven't forgetten, I will get back with you when I have the opportunity". Maybe I'm wrong - I can only imagine that he does have his hands full, but I just really feel like he is handling this the wrong way.

I'm not trying to sound bitchy - I'm just explaining that I know that I'm not their only client and that they do have lives outside their business - especially with a baby on the way! I can only imagine that things are a little crazy.

But that's also why I post because I don't know when it's appropriate to be upset - in the case of the photographer #2 and his complete lack of communication I feel it has come to a point in me being legit in how I feel.

I ended up posting on the Music board regarding our DJ because he still hasn't followed through within the last 2 weeks - I called Monday, but with this being the holiday weekend, I'm really not sure the time frame I should allow despite it being 2 weeks later than what he had said for sending the information (which has not been received). I don't intend to go zilla on anyone and am trying to be conscious of what they may have going on regardless of what I'm trying to get done. I'm making valiant effort to keep their other current priorities in mind.

As for the photographer, FI didn't want to pay this other photographer the $1275. Naturally (I honestly didn't exect anything different). Wouldn't hear me out. I talked to the photographer to see if she will allow customization of the package because the majority we didn't even need - she said she doesn't usually customize, but since we know her uncle, she would for us. So the price is now $900 - which FI thankfully agreed to. Which I agree on not paying for stuff we don't need, but I can't argue with paying for the quality and customer service, which I have been trying point out to FI.

So we should hopefully have our photographer issue solved here shortly and hopefully will finally have one booked!

Then I'll feel better once we get the login/password info from the photographer so we can work on our songs and start making payments.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards