Maine

Question about a church

So I'm not getting married for a while (a little under two years away), but I figured I'd get this question out while it's on my mind.
Now I really LOVE the St. Peter and Paul Basilica in Lewiston. It's probably the most beautiful church I've ever seen (and that's without seeing the inside). But I know how some big churches have some sort of policy about who can get married in the church, meaning that sometimes they only let people who go to the church get married in the church, so I got thinking about how I hope that isn't true with the St. Peter and Paul Basilica.
So my question is: Does the St. Peter and Paul Basilica in Lewiston have that kind of policy on who gets married there or is just anyone allowed to get married there?

Here's a link to a Wikipedia page that shows a picture of the church (unfortunately only just the front): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_of_Saints_Peter_and_Paul_%28Lewiston,_Maine%29

Re: Question about a church

• edited December 2011
    Well it is a catholic church. So you couldn't get married there unless you or your fiance is a Catholic. If you are a catholic you prob. already know there are a lot of rules getting married in a catholic church. Neither of you could be married previously, and you have to take a class...and lots of hoops to jump through...haha. I am not sure about this church specifically but some churches only let members get married there. You would have to discuss that with the priest himself most likely. You have enough time to become a member of the parish if you wanted to.
  • thengaisthengais member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I'm not Catholic. I'm not any religion really. My fiance is Christian.
    Well, there goes that plan. I'm definitely not joining a church just to get married at it.
    I'm just glad there are plenty of other beautiful churches around here to chose from.
  • edited December 2011
    There are plenty of beautiful churches!!! and you have plenty of time!

good luck!
  • thengaisthengais member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for your help. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I replied to your other post.  I'm getting married there October 2nd. One of you has to be Catholic to get married there and you have to take the marriage prep course.  The class is actually a really good idea and it's not as bad as people let it on to be :)
    Christine & Paul- October 2, 2010
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

My Bio
  • angegaryangegary member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are looking for a nice place in the Lewiston area....Bates College Chapel. I've been to a few weddings there.  The chapel and grounds are very pretty.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards