Wedding Party
Options

MOH is MIA

Hi ladies, I just need to vent to you...

My MOH V, and I met about 6 years ago. We travelled to Europe together and used to spend tons of time together.  When I started dating FI, we didn't see eachother as often.  Partly because I was spending a lot of time with him but also because she moved into an apartment with her college friends a little further away from me.  She never really seemed to like FI as much as she liked my x (wow for the past 2 years I have kept that in my head and I've never said it out loud before).  I can just tell the way she treats him is not the same and I feel like she avoids having to spend time with him.  He tries with her but she just doesn't give anything back his way.  The only times she comes to our apartment is if I've mentioned that he will be out with his friends.

Anyway, we don't hang out very often anymore, but she is literally like family to me.  We have had many discussions about how we don't see each other as often as we used to but that we still consider each other like family and know we will always be there in a second for each other.  There was no one else I would have imagined to ask besides her to be my MOH.

In addition to V, I have 5 more BMs-- 2 are good friends, 1 is my sister in law, and 2 are cousins (19 and 16).

So even though I have always felt that there is no relationship between her and my FI, I still expected her to be happy and there for me in all of this, but no.  All of my bridesmaids have been super excited for me and ask me questions about planning and such.  She actually didn't even seem that excited for me when I called to tell her I was engaged...
When we were planning our e-party, I gave her dates to choose from to make sure she would be available.  She helped me choose the date and then recently told me "oops, I forgot I might have to travel for work that weekend".  They even all have gotten me a little gift, except for V.   

Now I am NOT writing this post just because V didn't give me a gift.  I'm writing it to mostly vent that I'm hurt at how uninvolved and uninterested she is. 

When people have asked me how planning is going and if V is helping me with things, I am constantly making excuses for why she is not involved, like saying she works really long hours and is so busy. 
She was in her roomates wedding recently and seemed so happy for her, and I don't feel that happiness towards me at all! 

I spoke with my sister in law about how I'm not only hurt, but I feel like I'm missing a huge part of my wedding planning by not having a MOH by my side at all, for anything.  She promised that she will make sure that things are taken care of, even if she has to step in, which is amazing of her.  I just feel so jealous of girls who have MOH's that want to be part of things.. I would literally be thrilled if she asked me ONCE about ANYTHING. 

I'm just so hurt and I don't know if it's worth mentioning to her or if I need to just keep it to myself and plan my wedding with my mom and other bridesmaids and just let her show up when she feels like it.  I've been trying not to push her into things and I don't want to come off like a brat and that she should make my wedding the center of her universe or anything like that, I'm just so sad that she doesn't seem interested in any detail of my wedding.  Part of me wants to ask her why, but the other part of me is scared to hear what she might say..
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: MOH is MIA

• Options
    Your MOH has done nothing wrong.  She does not need to help you plan, so get that out of your head now.  It will only continue to disappoint you throughout your planning.  Remember, no one will be as excited for your wedding as you are.  Maybe V is "all wedding out" after her last stint as BM.  All your BP has to do is buy the dress and show up at your wedding.  If they do any extra, that's great, but should not be expected.

Maybe V doesn't like your FI, she is your friend and doesn't have to like your FI.  As long as FI is cordial to V when he sees her, there is nothing else he needs to expect back from her except the same courtesy.  They don't need to be great friends. 

I also had the same about of BMs as you.  I did not lean on them for support.  I had FI for that.  It is his wedding too, so you should be asking his opinions.  My FI came to every appointment, even the florist!  He may not know the different between a daisy and a mum, but he came.  He also assisted in DIYing the invites and favors.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_moh-is-mia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:786247ae-7363-4f60-b52c-0aaed94ec416Post:5cdc09fa-9949-4109-8ebf-27f09ae9f828">MOH is MIA</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi ladies, I just need to vent to you... My MOH V, and I met about 6 years ago. We travelled to Europe together and used to spend tons of time together.  When I started dating FI, we didn't see eachother as often.  Partly because I was spending a lot of time with him but also because she moved into an apartment with her college friends a little further away from me.  She never really seemed to like FI as much as she liked my x (wow for the past 2 years I have kept that in my head and I've never said it out loud before).  I can just tell the way she treats him is not the same and I feel like she avoids having to spend time with him.  He tries with her but she just doesn't give anything back his way.  The only times she comes to our apartment is if I've mentioned that he will be out with his friends. Anyway, we don't hang out very often anymore, but she is literally like family to me.  We have had many discussions about how we don't see each other as often as we used to but that we still consider each other like family and know we will always be there in a second for each other.  There was no one else I would have imagined to ask besides her to be my MOH. In addition to V, I have 5 more BMs-- 2 are good friends, 1 is my sister in law, and 2 are cousins (19 and 16). So even though I have always felt that there is no relationship between her and my FI, I still expected her to be happy and there for me in all of this, but no.  All of my bridesmaids have been super excited for me and ask me questions about planning and such.  She actually didn't even seem that excited for me when I called to tell her I was engaged... When we were planning our e-party, I gave her dates to choose from to make sure she would be available.  She helped me choose the date and then recently told me "oops, I forgot I might have to travel for work that weekend".  They even all have gotten me a little gift, except for V.    Now I am NOT writing this post just because V didn't give me a gift.  I'm writing it to mostly vent that I'm hurt at how uninvolved and uninterested she is.  When people have asked me how planning is going and if V is helping me with things, I am constantly making excuses for why she is not involved, like saying she works really long hours and is so busy.  She was in her roomates wedding recently and seemed so happy for her, and I don't feel that happiness towards me at all!  I spoke with my sister in law about how I'm not only hurt, but I feel like I'm missing a huge part of my wedding planning by not having a MOH by my side at all, for anything.  She promised that she will make sure that things are taken care of, even if she has to step in, which is amazing of her.  I just feel so jealous of girls who have MOH's that want to be part of things.. I would literally be thrilled if she asked me ONCE about ANYTHING.  I'm just so hurt and I don't know if it's worth mentioning to her or if I need to just keep it to myself and plan my wedding with my mom and other bridesmaids and just let her show up when she feels like it.  I've been trying not to push her into things and I don't want to come off like a brat and that she should make my wedding the center of her universe or anything like that, I'm just so sad that she doesn't seem interested in any detail of my wedding.  Part of me wants to ask her why, but the other part of me is scared to hear what she might say..
    Posted by Benny618[/QUOTE]

She doesn't have to help you plan. No one has to help you plan. No one is going to be as happy about your wedding as you either. She has done nothing wrong.

I think you are just assuming she doesn't like your FI. She probably doesn't know him as well as she knew your x.

It sounds to me like you both have your own lives (like your supposed to). She does her thing and you do yours.

For God's sake don't ask the girl why she isn't interested. I can answer that for you. My answer? IT'S NOT HER WEDDING.

ETA: Stop being "so hurt"...because you really have no reason to be.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    It's not so much as I want her to DO anything at this point, as I wish should would even just ask me something, anything about how the wedding planning is going.  Of course my FI is very involved in the planning, I do not mean that she should help me pick out flowers or other vendors at all. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_moh-is-mia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:786247ae-7363-4f60-b52c-0aaed94ec416Post:9feeadbe-b34a-434c-bf7c-b0c7139c81d2">Re: MOH is MIA</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not so much as I want her to DO anything at this point, as I wish should would even just ask me something, anything about how the wedding planning is going.  Of course my FI is very involved in the planning, I do not mean that she should help me pick out flowers or other vendors at all. 
    Posted by Benny618[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Sorry that life isn't like the movies, but she doesn't need to ask you about every little thing.  It's YOUR wedding, not hers.  You are going to be more excited about it than anyone else.  Don't forget that.  It sounds like she has plenty on her plate.  This is all aside from the fact that some people are just not into wedding stuff.  

</div>
  • Options
    ok despite the snarkiness I feel better, maybe it was too much to expect that my MOH would be interested at all in my wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_moh-is-mia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:786247ae-7363-4f60-b52c-0aaed94ec416Post:9feeadbe-b34a-434c-bf7c-b0c7139c81d2">Re: MOH is MIA</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's not so much as I want her to DO anything at this point, as I wish should would even just ask me something, anything about how the wedding planning is going.  Of course my FI is very involved in the planning, I do not mean that she should help me pick out flowers or other vendors at all. 
    Posted by Benny618[/QUOTE]

I have 4 BMs and a MOH. None of them ask me about the wedding. My sister is one of them and she doesn't even ask me about it. Sure we talk about it sometimes, but that's always because I mention it first. They have lives too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards