Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Stupid movies

Re: Stupid movies

• Options
    I just saw Drag Me to Hell a couple weeks ago.  It was just awful.  So so stupid and they just kept showing people projectile vomiting and stuff.  But it still freaked me out because I was home alone when I watched. 

Also, Twilight.
  • Options
    I have not seen Primeval, I'll have to add it to my list :)
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Aw, I really, really liked No Country for Old Men.
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupid-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:015b3796-acba-4b6b-a879-7c547402ec58Post:30fc272e-2c69-4240-8e51-a90c1122e243">Re: Stupid movies</a>:
    [QUOTE] Also, capri, somehow I have not ever seen Snakes on a Plane :( I know it doesn't fit with my other tastes, I just haven't gotten around to it.
    Posted by tlv204[/QUOTE]

T, you will LOVE it.  It totally fits in with the bad movie love.  I totally loved 300 too. 

Nebb, I cried through Rachel almost the whole way through.  I should watch it again.  I think it was Anne Hathaway's best movie to date.
  • Options
    I should ammend my opinion of No Country for Old Men, I liked it until the ending :) I was complaining to H about the ending for days afterward.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    There Will Be Blood! That's the oil company movie I didnt' like.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Oh...really?  I know a lot of people that didn't like the ending, but I personally think the ending fit perfectly with the movie.  But again, I have kind of odd taste in movies.
  • Options
    tlv, was it There Will Be Blood?

If so, I admit watching this movie and trying to talk myself into liking it.  Daniel Day-Lewis really is a brilliant actor though.

I tried reading, No Country for Old Men.  I couldn't get past the first 2 pages.  I liked the movie though.
  • Options
    I also hated Rachel Getting Married.  Seriously, if I wanted to watch a bunch of dancing and live music for an hour, I would go to a festival of some kind.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    Brie, did you see The Others or Moulin Rouge?  If so, thoughts.
  • Options
    Haven't seen The Others.  I saw Moulin Rouge a long time ago and thought it was okay.  I don't remember particularly loving or hating it.
    two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupid-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:015b3796-acba-4b6b-a879-7c547402ec58Post:ce838d36-8cfc-4fe4-89c1-eb2695582838">Re: Stupid movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Brie, did you see The Others or Moulin Rouge?  If so, thoughts.
    Posted by bbyckes[/QUOTE]

I'm not Brie, but dear sweet baby Jesus I hate Moulin Rouge.  I also generally can't stand Nicole Kidman.
  • Options
    bbyckesbbyckes member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2010
    I generally wasn't a Nicole Kidman fan until after I saw those movies.  Loved them both.

An early flick with her and Joaquin Phoenix was To Die For.  Loved that one too.   Her movies of late have been less interesting to me. 
  • Options
    I hated No Country For Old Men the first time I saw it, but then I watched it again and enjoyed it more.

Oh and so far as a new movie: Inglorious Basterds. I probably would have liked it, too, if it had been about an hour and a half shorter. I just didn't care anymore about halfway in.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I thought The Others was pretty good actually and I typically can't stomach Nicole Kidman.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupid-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:015b3796-acba-4b6b-a879-7c547402ec58Post:e25d0dae-f9e4-4e01-a1d3-419b2226bf10">Re: Stupid movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, as stupid as it is, the movie Cabin Fever gave me nightmares, literally.
    Posted by tlv204[/QUOTE]

Not trying to sound like a diick, but seriously? I totally lost movie-picking privileges among my friends for renting that movie. Are you particularly sensitive to horror flicks?

Also, I second No Country, sorta. It wasn't a terrible movie IMO, but Best Picture? Really?
  • Options
    I loved No Country for Old Men.

two years!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Count me in on the bandwagon of hating Benjamin Button and There Will Be Blood. 

A couple others that I haven't seen mentioned - I Heart Huckabees and Synecdoche, New York both made me angry, I hated them so much.  By the end of both of them, I just wanted everybody to shut up.  So pretentious.

I also could not stand I'm Not There (the Bob Dylan movie).  It's like, I get it, there's some Bob Dylan in all of us.

I was kinda indifferent to 500 Days of Summer, although it does seem like most people either love it or hate it.

I thought No Country for Old Men and Inglourious Basterds were both masterpieces.
  • Options
    I loved Inglourious Basterds. the dialogue was amazing. I was tense the whole time while watching the movie and yet I was still laughing my head off. that, and I like the gratuitous violence that you get in QT films.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    I heart huckabees is one of my favourite movies ever, I love that movie. I will agree though that synecdoche NY really really REALLY made no sense. I had a confused look on my face the entire time.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupid-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:015b3796-acba-4b6b-a879-7c547402ec58Post:4c69e31e-a708-4372-8ccd-b6bd157a041c">Re: Stupid movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]I loved Inglourious Basterds. the dialogue was amazing. I was tense the whole time while watching the movie and yet I was still laughing my head off. that, and I like the gratuitous violence that you get in QT films.
    Posted by pooh8402[/QUOTE]

Agreed. He can be a little (or a lot) pretentious at times, but I LOVE Tarantino. And I LOVED that movie, even if the end was a little too gratifying.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupid-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:015b3796-acba-4b6b-a879-7c547402ec58Post:2d802031-35a5-4a58-9a4c-d0ec81d0adef">Re: Stupid movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stupid movies : Not trying to sound like a diick, but seriously? I totally lost movie-picking privileges among my friends for renting that movie. Are you particularly sensitive to horror flicks?
    Posted by pristinedemon[/QUOTE]

Ha yeah I know, I'm embarrassed. I realize it's a terrible and non-scary movie, I think I'm just crazy.  I think I do scare kind of easily, because the new version of War of the Worlds also gave me nightmares.

Actually I don't think I really had nightmares, but I know I had trouble sleeping after watching both of those.

Maybe I should give No Country for Old Men another shot, but I don't know. I'm now realizing I don't actually remember that much, I just remember hating the ending. I'm one of "those people" though, I'm all kinds of shallow and unhip and too dim to appreciate endings that leave lots of loose ends. It really really bothers me at least 75% of the time that movies end that way.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Someone mentioned this movie, but I too hated "The Mist".  Not because it was stupid, per se, but because the ending pissed me off royally.  I'm normally tolerant of movies (particularly horror movies, since they're my favorite), but I really wanted to cause physical harm to someone after watching it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupid-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:015b3796-acba-4b6b-a879-7c547402ec58Post:7460f973-81b9-4cbb-8da9-8b3538506916">Re: Stupid movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Someone mentioned this movie, but I too hated "The Mist".  Not because it was stupid, per se, but because the ending pissed me off royally.  I'm normally tolerant of movies (particularly horror movies, since they're my favorite), but I really wanted to cause physical harm to someone after watching it.
    Posted by TeresaLovesDave[/QUOTE]

That was me, and I hated the whole movie but especially the ending. I was SOOOO mad at DH for making me watch it with him. 2 hours I will never get back.
  • Options
    Lists of movies I dislike

No Country for Old Men
    Rad (My H is obsessed)
    Very Bad Things (WTF?)

I really like Atonement.  I tried reading the book and I got so bad.  I love the Langoliers too!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    2013 Books Read 11/52
    my read shelf:
    Lauren (SnShne322)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Was "The Mist" the one where they're all trapped in the grocery store and only a few escaped? Then the scene in the SUV? If so, I hated that ending too.  I like happy endings, damnit!

Also, not a movie I hate, but in Slumdog Millionaire, I kept thinking that if the guy did not get the girl in the end, I was going to scream.  That was the most depressing movie ever.  I liked it though, strangely enough.
  • Options
    Pristine -- I was *so* angry at the end of it, also because I'd loved it up until that point.  I also watched it with my FI, and at the end, he saw I was crying.  As he went to give me a hug, I turned and looked at him to which he said "Oh holy shiit"... evidently my anger was quite clear.  His reaction was kind-of funny, now that I think about it.  However, it still doesn't quite counteract the pain of watching that movie.

And Cengle -- yep, the grocery store/ crazy alien-ish things/ SUV movie.  Hello unhappy ending.
  • Options
    something else I just thought of. has anyone read "My Sister's Keeper" then watched the movie? I'm used to filmmakers screwing up book adaptations and I don't really mind as long as they keep the basic plotline. so I was FVCKING. PISSED. OFF at the ending of the movie!!!! they left out the best part of the book!!!! I actually screamed when I watched the ending.

Glenna Harding Photography
  • Options
    Teresa - you were so mad you cried? Whoa. That would freak me out too. I don't think I was *quite* that upset, but I still give DH crap about choosing that one. "Remember the time you picked that abortion of a movie? Loser..."

Pooh - so true. That's what happened with Angels and Demons. I HATE it when filmmakers do that...
  • Options
    Pristine, it's not a good trait, but in my world, anger = tears. 

(Possibly why I hate confrontation, because I just look like a complete sucker.) :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards