Snarky Brides
Options

Need doggy help!

Hi There,
when I use to post here a lot, I remember a lot of you had dogs- so I have a question.

A few months ago, we adopted a dog from the animal shelter. he is a real gem. Sweetest little cuddle bug. He learns quick, and we are able to take him to the beach/park with no leash.

Well about 2 weeks  ago, I threw him a stick, and a dog coming from the opposite direction was running towards Jack, going after the stick. Jack got down in a "crouch position", but not the typical play bow. I figured, oh, hey he was just being protective of his stick. But since then, he gets in this position and runs towards the other dogs more than 50% of the time. I'ts pretty frustration

This morning at the beach, he did this but seemed to get pretty aggressive with the dog. H pulled him off, but the other owner didn't seem to mind. I thought it was just rough play, but H thinks they were biting, in a not good way.

Also- he seems to listening less these past two weeks . "Lets go Jack!" pretty much means nothing when he's sniffing another dog now. Before he would follow us as we walked away. We had to walk to rest of the beach on a leash today :(

Has anyone elses dog done this? One other owner laughed and said "oh my dog use to do that too!". Whatever that means.  What do you think?

(I will also post this on E too because I know many e-ers are still over there.)

Picture of my buddy for fun!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Need doggy help!

• Options
    You need to spend some more time training him before you take him places with other dogs, especially off leash.  It might just be rough play, but it doesn't seem like it will take much to flip the switch, and some people aren't ok with their dog playing rough with another dog.  Especially since your dog looks like a pretty big guy.

You need to know he's going to obey commands before you can take him off leash.  Crap happens.  He was well behaved before.  Seeing as you got him from a shelter, you don't know his history.  That dog running at his stick might have triggered something from his past that has made him take a few steps back.  No big deal, you just need to be aware and compensate.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options

I think we will avoid the beach for a while, and anywhere with lots of dogs. He needs to start listening again!  He's my first dog really, so I didn't expect him to be a little angel then rebel like a teenager:(

• Options
    It happens, and it's probably nothing you did wrong, or anything.  You just need to work hard on re-training and stay cognizant of the things that have affected him.  He's gorgeous though!

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Thanks!
  • Options
    tidetraveltidetravel member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2010
    Like JK said, he's a shelter dog, so you don't know his past.  The stick could have triggered a protective instinct, or the particular type of dog that went after it; anything really.  I'm assuming as such that he is neutered, but the neutering could be recent, so there's the possibility, if he's young, he could be coming into his male-self.

Regardless, formal obedience training is probably your best bet.  If he does start listening again, I wouldn't take him anywhere off-leash other than pet-friendly areas.  Even if he listens to you, there is always the possibility of agressive dogs being off leash that could go after him.  Be a responsible dog owner and keep him on leash at all times, for his sake.
    Holy Crap. We survived the first year!
    http://tidetravel.weebly.com/index.html
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks Tide. With the shelters estimate, he is about 2 and 4 months. I am not sure when he was nuetered, but he was in shelters for about 6 months.
  • Options
    I don't think it's cute/charming/impressive/thelistgoeson when people walk their dogs anywhere off leash. A dog is a dog; at anytime, they can resort to dog-like behaviors. If you're walking it off-leash in a public area (not talking a dog park here), you run the risk of problems. Granted 99% of the time you might be okay, but is it really worth the 1% chance that something could go wrong? Either with another dog, or god forbid a human/child? 

As for the dog parks---as pp said, clearly more training is in order. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It just sounds like he needs some socializing. Sometimes, a cheap obedience class helps with socialization more than training. Once or twice a week he could get used to being around other dogs and being expected to behave around them. Plus, There is usually all shapes and sizes of dogs at those classes, so they get used to everything.

Photobucket
  • Options
    Do you have leash laws in your area? Around here it is against the law to have your dog at a park or beach without a leash, except for designated dog parks. I ask because it really annoys me when someone's dog runs up to me and won't go away, or looks like it is going to attack (even if he/she just wants to play, you never know).

I say keep your dog on a leash until you go to some kind of training classes. Like reddy said, he'll get more socializing there, in a safer environment.
  • Options
    Just a little more training, no biggie :) Sometimes dogs have their special moments where they decide they are no longer going to listen to you and need some refreshers.

Also until he gets better at "lets go" or "leave it" I would somewhat limit his contact with other dogs, especially off the leash. Practice with objects around the house he's normally interested in, then gradually go closer to other dogs.

I would also suggest looking up training videos/books by Victoria Stillwell. She is fabulous with retraining dogs with bad habits or questionable pasts.
  • Options
    Thank you for adopting!

I second getting some Victoria training tips. Do you ever watch "It's me or the dog?" You can learn a lot just from watching those.

I also agree that it is risky to have your dog off leash in a public area. I just don't think it is safe or a good idea. If you have a fenced in dog park, that is the place for your dog to be off leash- after he has been socialized. Do you have any friends with dogs? Maybe start in a safe environment, both dogs on a leash.

Obedience training is also a great idea, as PP mentioned. Usually, they will arrange it so there is a person between every dog. Just having dog on a leash near other dogs will help.
  • Options
    He is on a leash if there is a leash law. The beach we go to, they are allowed off leash.

This afternoon we took him to play with FIL's dog. It took several attempts to get him to come, but once he started, he continued... so that's a good start! I do have a friend who has a dog a similar size. Jack and her play a lot... so I think we will try with her too!

I also look up this victoria trainer.
  • Options

I highly recommend taking him to training class, even at a local PetSmart or someplace similar. It will help with shaping, socialization and also help you and your husband with training techniques as it is important you're both on the same page. Even if he's done a class before, another one or repeating the last one, depending which level he has completed, can't hurt. He'll get there, just take a little practice and lot of patience - good luck!

Photobucket
  • Options
    As PP said, socializing is key.  We adopted our dog too.  The shelter told us she was a lab mix, but when we brought her to the vet, they said she had some pit bull in her as well.  She is so loving and sweet with people, but I was really nervous about her being around other dogs.  Since she was a puppy, she was too hyper to play nice with the dogs in the neighborhood.  So we bring her to "doggie daycare" one day every other week.  It sounds crazy, but it's great.  They work on some training with her, and they put her in a play group with dogs of similar temperment.  She gets along with the dogs at daycare; she is actually not a dominant dog, so she will follow the other dogs wherever they go.  It is seriously the best $80 we spend each month because it gets her love and attention while we are at work, and it keeps her around dogs so she learns to socialize and play nice.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Puppy Love
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards