Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

Ceremony music

I think this may have been asked before...but I'll ask again. What music are you using for your ceremony?

I'm having a church ceremony so my options are limited but I want to do something other than "Here comes the bride..." I love Canon in D but open to less popular music as well.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ceremony music

• Options
    CaitC21CaitC21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am no help you have the anti-traditional bride here.

Good luck!
    image Planning Bio Wedding Planning Website Updated 7/21/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks anyway Cait! I love anti-traditional. Of course, it isn't an option in the Catholic church...so I have to fit the mold for this one :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Bean32Bean32 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do you have to choose from specific songs or are there just some restrictions? I walked down to an instrumental version of the Princess Bride theme. Totallly corny, I know, but the only people who knew where it came from were me, FI, my cousin who loves the movie, and strangley enough my Dad.
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring for the BP entrance and Canon in D for mine.  For the recessional, I used an instrumental version of Ode to Joy.

Does your organist have a book with songs in it?  He/she may have some suggestions for you.  I know the Trumpet Voluntary from the Opera Midsummer Night's Dream is used often. 

There are so many beautiful classic pieces that you can use.  Here's a CD from Amazon that has a few dozen songs... and because it's Amazon, you can listen to each one.  Now, you'd  have to check with your Church if it's going to be okay, but 9 times out of 10, if it's a classical piece... they'll allow it.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QQPNB4?ie=UTF8&tag=creativehoney-20&link_code=as3&camp=211189&creative=373489&creativeASIN=B000QQPNB4
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • Options
    gkishbauchgkishbauch member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Spangler - did you say you're getting married at St. John? We are, too - I'd suggest paging through the music selections they gave you and just trying to "YouTube" them to get a sense of what they sound like. They do have some less-traditional (read: not "Here Comes the Bride") stuff in there. Also, make an appointment with Kevin - it might take a little hounding, but if you can get him in person, he'll play you anything you want to hear - he's like an encyclopedia of organ music lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Everyone!

RA - Love those music choices. That is actually what I was leaning towards too but wanted to listen to some other music I may not be familiar with first. That's a great link. Gotta love Amazon. Thanks!

And gkish - yep, I'm St Johns too! I never went through the music papers, I guess that would help :) I'll also take your advice and try to get a hold of Kevin. Thanks a ton for the tips...and congrats! St. John's is such a beautiful church
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Canon in F! Still traditional, but not all that common. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm a DJ, and I have played all kinds of music for the ceremony.  It doesn't just have to be traditional.  Up until the recessional, I would suggest you stick with soft and/or elegant.  You can use some of your favorite slow songs for prelude and processional music.  "Bless the Broken Road" by Rascal Flatts is a good example.  I've also played instrumental version of some songs, like "Bittersweet Symphony" by the Verve.

Go to either Itunes or amazon.com and look for an intrumental version of some of your favorite slower songs - or you could use the original as well.

For the recessional, you can certainly go non-traditional.  As soon as the officiant says, "for the first time...etc," your DJ can play a lively song, such as "Walking on Sunshine,"  "I Got You (I Feel Good)," or something newer.

There are some great ideas here on the Knot.  http://wedding.theknot.com/wedding-planning/wedding-music-ideas.aspx

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards