Iowa-Des Moines

Cake Stands

I'm having 6" cakes as centerpieces at my wedding for up to 400 guests which equals 40 tables/40 cakes/40 cakestands/a LOT of money..SO, I'm making my cakestands...does anybody have suggestions/tips on what I need to do?!

Re: Cake Stands

• edited December 2011
    What are you making them out of?
  • edited December 2011
    u wouldn't necessarily need a cake stand. u could just use cardboard to put the cakes on and wrap the cardboard in some kind of material to dress it up. otherwise... u could get some kind of vase (maybe?) and set a mirror on top. sorry, that's as creative as i am right now. if i think of something else i'll get back to ya.
  • edited December 2011
  • edited December 2011
    We're planning on DIYing cakestands as centerpieces also! My fiance has recently gotten into woodworking and really wants to make them. We're thinking of making these "flat pack" so that they can be assembled and disassembled easily for transport and storage. Then we're hoping that we can give these out at the end of the night (or the next day) as thank you presents to people who have helped with the wedding and to family members who have travelled far to celebrate with us. I'm still crossing my fingers about all this though because our caterer has tried to steer us away from this idea. I think she's afraid our cakes will melt since our reception will be outdoors.

If you are comfortable with woodworking, let me know and maybe we can bounce plans/ideas off eachother. Otherwise, I've seen people use dishes that are glued together to make a base and a top. Maybe a candlestick or even a teacup turned upside down with a plate on top. You could leave the pieces as is or spray paint them all the same color.
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, one other thing - as our caterer was trying to steer us away from cakes as centerpieces, she came up with a great idea. The caterer has small, wide vases that are good for floating a couple flowers. She suggested putting those out as centerpieces then bringing out the cakes on plates at dessert time and stacking the plates on top of those vases. I think that's an excellent idea and would solve the melting cake dilemma, but its just not right for us since making wooden cakestands is something my fiance is really excited about.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards