Oregon

Portland bridesmaid needs measurements/alterations for out of town wedding

I am going to be a bridesmaid in a friend's upcoming wedding. She's chosen our dresses from a non-chain bridal salon in Ohio (where she lives), and I need to get my measurements taken and have alterations to my dress done here in Portland. I'm still kind of new to town and don't have any friends who have gotten married here, so I have no idea where to go. Any suggestions? I live and work in the city, so I'd prefer non-suburban options if possible. Thanks!

Re: Portland bridesmaid needs measurements/alterations for out of town wedding

• The dress designer or the shop that the dresses are ordered from should have a guide on which measurements they need, and how to make each measurement.  I don't suggest you try to measure yourself, but a friend should be able to help.  I would think that a department store would be happy to help measure you, or any alterations place (such as a dry cleaners). 

If you're comfortable asking someone at a bridal boutique to measure you even though you aren't purchasing anything from them, there's no harm in asking (or try a couple dresses on for fun).  I'm not familiar with a boutique downtown, but Charlotte's Weddings & More isn't far if you have a car, or Google another option (there's one on NW 23rd).

Do you know what who the dress designer is?  You could see if any Portland area stores carry that designer and have them measure you.

Good luck!

• I took my maid of honor to Ania Bridal in downtown Portland to get measured for a dress.  Even though we didn't purchase the dress there, I was very impressed with their service and they seemed to do a decent job with the measurements.  They definitely carry WTOO and Watters dresses.  If you know the designer you can find stores that carry the dress on their website (that's how I found Ania).

As for alterations, I was told that it isn't necessary to have BM dresses altered at a bridal shop.  Because they are basically just dresses, you can take them to a tailor or trusted drycleaner who does alterations and have them done there for a bit cheaper.  

Hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards