Texas-Austin
Options

Showing Austin in your wedding?

Hey Ladies,

Things have been kind of slow on here lately so I thought i'd pose a question to all the Austin brides. I think it would be fun to see all of the cool, uniquely Austin things people are doing.

So, are you doing anything that is uniquely "Austin" for your wedding?

For example, instead of a grooms cake, we are serving Round Rock donuts because they are my FI's favorite.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Showing Austin in your wedding?

• Options
    akg0053akg0053 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmm... I haven't thought about it. Other than our venue overlooking the Austin skyline and us taking pictures in front of Jeremiah the Innocent (aka the Hi! How are you? frog), I guess not really much of anything.

FI wants a groomscake (he changed his mind and now wants one) of the Astrodome, so that's Houston.
    118 image
    Not caring about missing RSVPs because there aren't any rocks!
  • Options
    lasaggie08lasaggie08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That sounds fun though! I am from Houston and that's where my FI and I live so I think having an Astrodome cake is awesome! I think all of those little nuances to you and your FI is what's going to make the wedding rememberable for everyone.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hey ladies....i am doing the tradional 4 tier cake by my FI doesnt really do sweets that much so i did alot of talking to even have one lol but our cake person is going to make him a motorcycle cake since he loves them oh so much.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    we're not actually doing this, because FI decided to restore his vintage car, but i wanted our getaway to be in a pedicab (decorated with a "just married" sign).   we will be putting some local treats (beer, etc) in the out of town guest bags.  and i'm incorporating a photo of us taken in front of the "til death do us part" sign by the mexic-arte museum on congress in our invitations (it's a halloween wedding). 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're doing succlents on some tables for centerpieces (cacti in tall vases with candles); having Amy's Ice Cream do a little ice cream cart for 30 mins; having breakfast tacos served at the end of the reception; and having a pinata!! That's a surprise that no one knows about except the planner and me.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Were not doing Austin but we are doing UT. His cake will have on it a burnt orange 1:18 scale model of a 2006 corvette convertiable with a Bevo sitting inside doing the Hook-em and I will wear  Burnt orange shoes and a UT garter-he knows none of this and is going to love it. So I guess it counts as austin.
  • Options
    SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are using local beer and wine, but I think that's it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Mon@ATX could you post the pic of you guys in front of the "til death do us part" sign? I've never heard of it and it sounds really cool! :)
    My Bio - From beginning to end, see how I planned my wedding on my Bio Website! "There will be a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Little things like having it at the LBJ Wildflower Center, fun stuff in the goodie bags, rehearsal dinner at a very Austinish fun music place, Fajitas....I guess we're doing more of an ecletic Texas theme than anything.  Lots of Texas A&M elements to bug my tu family. :)

We were TOTALLY going to do the RR Donut thing, but we finally compromised and decided on bundt cakes.  So yummy!
  • Options
    akg0053akg0053 member
    edited December 2011
    Our OOT bags are very Austin. I forgot about those :o)
    118 image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    IWe are totally doing RR donuts but will distribute the morning of while we get ready so we get them nice and warm. I'm thinking of including a "Keep Austin Weird' tshirt for BM bags.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

amanda, not sure if it'll show, but here it is.
  • Options
    lasaggie08lasaggie08 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't really thought of what to put in my OOT bags yet but I love the idea of the shirts!

Also jealous of the breakfast burritos, wish I had thought of that!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Mon@ATX OMG! That is sooooo cute! Is it on an outside wall? I've lived here almost 3 years and I have never even heard of it!

My Bio - From beginning to end, see how I planned my wedding on my Bio Website! "There will be a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning." -Louis L'Amour
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Akg0053...what are you putting in your OOT bags?? I'm looking for some Austin-y ideas...or any ideas really!
  • Options
    Stephie_LynnStephie_Lynn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I made little favor bags out of green hankerchiefs. We are putting Lamb's Candy Chocolate Longhorns in them.

YUM.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    amanda, there are two of them.  the one in the picture is on the outside wall of the mexic-arte museum on congress and 5th street.  the second sign looks the same, except it's green, and it's on east 7th and waller maybe?  basically, if you drive on 7th street, it's just a few blocks east of I35, on your right hand side.
  • Options
    akg0053akg0053 member
    edited December 2011
    I'm having Tiff's Treats, Hey Cupcake! cupcakes, etc. served for the groomsmen and bridesmaids the day of while getting ready, or I'm going to put them in the oot bags, I haven't decided.

I'm putting postcards of Austin in the bags as well, and I'm using them as my welcome message. I am going to include Keep Austin Weird stickers in the bags as well, in addition to Amy's ice cream coupons. I have maps of Austin and general brochures going in as well. 

Also, FI and I are having e-pics taken in front of the frog and at the Cathedral of Junk. 
    118 image
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel like such a loser....I have lived her for almost 3 years and I have no idea what these places are! lol Thanks mon@ATX for telling me about the mexic-arte museum! What is the frog at the Cathedral of Junk?
  • Options
    akg0053akg0053 member
    edited December 2011
    Ah, the frog. The frog (Jeremiah the Innocent) was painted by Daniel Johnston on the side of what is now a sushi restaurant called Crave at 21st and Guadalupe. The frog was painted back in oh... '93 or so I guess (I was just a kid... about 8 or 9). Anyway, the mural has become some kind of "landmark" of Austin. 

There was a mexican restaurant that was there before Crave, and they tried to paint over it. A huge uproar occurred and the painting was saved. 

The Cathedral of Junk is a different thing. It's some guy's backyard. It's actually really cool. 

Here is a blurb about it:http://tinyurl.com/3m78zv
    118 image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards