Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Cupcakes or a cake?

I prefer cupcakes, but I'm wondering which one is cheaper. Does anyone know?

Re: Cupcakes or a cake?

• edited December 2011
    Depends on the baker, really, and how elaborate you want to go with cupcake decoration. Some people find that cupcakes aren't very different at all in price, while others get great deals on them.
  • edited December 2011

Cupcakes end up being cheaper a lot of the time because you usually have to forego any fillings that you'd normally get with a cake.  It's possible to get them filled, but it costs more.  But if you're comparing them to a simple cake with just a buttercream filling and simple decoration, they're probably comparable.  The biggest difference would be that most venues don't charge cutting fees for cupcakes.

• edited December 2011
    At the bakery we used, 200 cupcakes would have been more expensive than a 3 tier cake that feeds 200 people so we went with the cake.  It really just depends on your bakery.

I think cupcakes look fine.  I have seen them at weddings displayed on a tiered cupcake stand, and they looked really nice.

• edited December 2011

At our venue there was a cake service charge even if you were doing cupcakes.  Like PP said, it all depends on your area, the bakery and the detail you want on your cupcakes v. your cake.  When you go for your tastings you can always ask.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

One thing no one has mentioned is geometry, even if a cupcake is cheaper it's half of the portion of a normal slice of wedding cake, so price:portion should also be factored in. 

I much prefer wedding cake slices instead of cupcakes.  When I'm all dresssed up in the "dry clean only" clothes, I don't want to be plunking my fingers into a piece of cake which you're required to do with cupcakes because you at minimum still need to take the paper off which usually gets frosting on the fingers and the ackward weight ratio of cake to frosting adds another element of "danger" (jk) while trying to eat it. 

If you do end up ordering cupcakes, plan 1 1/2 cupcakes per guest because most people never can stop at just one because "they're cupcakes"..  

If the cup/cake is good, it WILL be eaten, no one ever complains of a second slice of cake, but they WILL complain if they didn't get any!  You can also use it as a snack later on in the evening for your guests if there are leftovers.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards