Louisiana-New Orleans
Options

vendor notifications

Hi ladies, I have an odd question.  I am getting married in New Orleans and live out of state.  My fiance and I went to nola to meet with a bunch of vendors last month.  We gave all the details of what we wanted to the vendors we wanted to hire, but I wanted to wait to sign contracts with everyone until we signed a contract with the venue.

Signing with the venue took longer than expected (poor communication on their part), but it finally just happened, so I am ready to sign with all the other vendors I had lined up.  Well I got an email from my florist today saying just today she booked up on my wedding date, so she is no longer available.  This seems so strange to me.  We had spent a lot of time visiting with her when we were there, had looked at tons of pics, made decisions on specific flowers, she drew up a contract, etc.  I thought at the very least when we had done all this, if our vendor had another bride request our same date, the vendor would check with me first?

Even if she said, "Another bride wants me, so sign today or I'm going to sign with her", I would have appreciated the heads up.  I am shocked and disappointed and panicking!  Do you think I expected too much?  I did have another vendor check with me first when another bride wanted her, so I guess I thought that was standard protocol.  Ugh.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Re: vendor notifications

• Options
    phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I actually had something similar happen with my photographer, except that the studio did call me to tell me that someone else was interested in the same date and was ready to put down a deposit.  So I snapped to it and made a deposit over the phone! 

She had no obligation to hold the date without a contract, but I definitely agree that she should have at least given you the first right of refusal before taking another contract for that day.  I feel that it would have been the professional thing to do on her part.  Unfortunately, I suppose there's not much you can do about it now except start looking for someone else, but I would be kinda pissed.

Is it me, or do you feel like booking good wedding vendors is cutthroat!?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the response.  You put it best when you said, "She had no obligation, but...it would have been the professional thing to do".  Exactly!  Oh well.  :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My photographer gave me the courtesy of letting me know someone else inquired about my date. We had never even met or spoken on the phone at that point. We scheduled a meeting and I booked him immediately. I've been really lucky with all of my vendors.

Giving you a head's up would've been the polite thing to do - especially since y'all met and went through thorough details.
  • Options
    deeceebride2deeceebride2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it would have been the polite thing to do, but remember, most of these vendors (the good ones, at least), are meeting with several brides for any given date, and someone else might have spent even MORE time with her and showed even MORE interest, and drawn up a contract with her, too, and so THAT bride got first right of refusal.  Unfortunately, they can really only give "first right of refusal" to one person (if that person decides to go with her), and it may just not have been you in this case.  It's frustrating, I know - happened with the band we were gonna book.  We took too long, and there were other people interested, so we lost out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry this happened to you.

Some vendors like to call and let you know if someone is about to book, but some others do not. They feel it is rude to push you to make a decision, etc.

If you need any reccommendations for a flourist-let me know.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
     I would love a florist recommendation, acalloway, thank you.  I've looked at a ton of websites, including a bunch of recs I found here, but I just can't seem to find anyone I can get excited about.  If you've got a recommendation and pics (or a website), though, I'd love to hear of others!

Erin -- do you really have just one week and two days to go?  Congrats!  (And who's your florist?)  Hahhaha!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE my florist. She seems a little scattered, but she really does have it all together.

I feel like she is a vendor I can trust 100%. She did over 5 weddings of friends and coworkers I work with.

She asks what your budget is and works with it! I'd give her a try.

I'm not sure if she works with OOT brides often, but its worth a shot.

HTH!

-Amy

Meade Wenzel
    289-9883
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you, Amy!  I'll give her a call!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards