Massachusetts-Cape Cod

first time post here...September Wellfleet Wedding - Help!

Hey all! So I am totally behind the times here, we got engaged (after 5 years!) this past Thanksgiving and I'm just starting to get into all this Knot stuff and planning and stuff. In my own defense, I'm a Masters Student so I'm pretty busy these days!  But i need some help! We're getting married at Chequessett Yacht Club in Wellfleet in Sept. 2010. There's a list of approved caterers to use that includes Mac's (I love that place) Cosmo's in P-Town, Sumptuous in Orleans and Terra Luna in Truro. has anyone used any of these? ALSO -- ideas for stations at the reception? We want a VERY casual setting so stations seems like the best option. Ideas for types of stations to have? THANKS!!!

Re: first time post here...September Wellfleet Wedding - Help!

• edited December 2011
    Ohhh I loooved Chequessett! Such a beautiful spot! I have been talking to the same caterers that you listed above, but my wedding isn't until next year (May) so unfortunately I don't have first hand experience with any of them yet. Here are my experiences thus far:Macs: I initially emailed Mac a while back inquiring about his catering services and he was very friendly and responsive. He has since hired a woman to sort of run the catering portion of his business. We met with her recently and well, let's just say I was less than impressed. She was very unorganized at the meeting, she stuck her nose up when we told her our budget, and we just didn't get a great feeling from her in general. Also, Reven from Chequessett seemed to think Mac's catering business is a little unorganized (maybe it'll be better with the new lady). He could be absolutely amazing though, I don't know.Cosmos: I emailed these people numerous times and they were very slow about getting back to me and they basically told me to wait until the fall to talk to them. All I wanted was some sort of price estimate but I never received one. I've heard, though, that they are great, however I wanted to deal with someone who was willing to talk to me and they weren't, so we crossed them off our list.  Sumptuous: We met with Shannon a little while back and i was SO impressed. She is extremely organized, super friendly and she made me feel like everything would be taken care of and run smoothly. I don't know if you've eaten at Mahoney's in Orleans, but her husband is I think the chef there (and also the one who does the food for her catering business). You should try the restaurant, the food is really great. Terra Luna: This is the first caterer we met with, Raina. She was very easygoing, and we loved how she emphasizes using local ingredients in her cooking. She basically said if there is anything special we would like, she could do it. I liked her easygoing-ness but it also made me a little uneasy. I want someone who's super organized. From what I hear, the food at her restaurant is excellent. We are going to try it out next week. So those are my catering experiences so far. I hope it helps. I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I feel like planning ahead with caterers on the cape has been difficult. They seem to not want to deal with people until much closer to the date of the wedding than I would have expected.
  • edited December 2011
    Station ideas: Any meat carving station, sushi station, mashed/baked potato, stir fry, tuscan/antipasto, crepes, raw bar...
  • jescahilljescahill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    CHeth166 - THANK YOU SOOO much for your help! I do agree that it's been hard to get caterers to even care about next summer when they're in the thick of this summer. I'm hoping next month we'll be able to start to finalize more things. It's great that you're getting married at Chequessett too! I love it there! What are you doing for photographer? Florist?
  • edited December 2011
    you're very welcome! By the way, since I last responded to your post we ate at Terra Luna. It was AMAZING! probably one of the most delicious meals I've had, I was truly impressed.We're actually not getting married at Chequessett. I would have loooved to but unfortunately it didnt fit into our budget. We're getting married in Truro instead. We hired a Boston-based photographer, Ashley O'Dell. She charges extra for travel but we loved her photos so much we just had to have her! I think Ashley has actually photographed a wedding at Chequessett before... you can see it here http://blog.aodell.com/2008/natasha-andy/For a florist we're going with Flowers by Mary (based in Truro). She is the sweetest person ever and everyone we spoke to in the Wellfleet/Truro/Eastham/Orleans area recommended her right away when we asked for suggestions.
  • MomoJRMomoJR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi ladies:What are we looking at for prices at Chequessett? I've seen it since we have a place in Wellfleet, but figured it was out of budget range...Where are you getting married in Truro?My fiance's sister works at Mac's and they are really really nice there. She loves working for them and their food is awesome!Good Luck!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there MomoJR - The Chequessett has a few different packages and it's mostly based on your the amount on your guest list. Use of the beach is included in all the packages. To use just the boathouse you have to have under 125 and the manager told me you really would want under 100 if you're doing a seated dinner that is $3800-$4500. Then the next level of packages for 100-160 people includes use of both the boathouse and the clubhouse. We are doing that. So it's beach for the ceremony, boathouse for cocktails, clubhouse for dinner and then back down to the boathouse for dancing and dessert. The package we have is for 120 guests and it's $5500 the most expensive package is for 160 people and it's $6500.  In addition you have to pay for the tents that are put over the decks on the boathouse and/or clubhouse that's another $1500 or so. You get tables, chairs, bartenders, staff and your caterer handles the rest. I do LOVE Mac's -- great food and great, local people. Hope this helps!
  • MomoJRMomoJR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for that information. I'm thinking that it might be worth-while looking into there now!
  • MomoJRMomoJR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was re-reading the information, since I haven't heard back from them yet. Are the prices below including dinners or is that just the site fee? Do you need to have the tents set up or is that optional?I'm probably going to end up calling them, because email with most places is taking a little while for responses.Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    Those prices don't include dinner. You hire an outside caterer separately. I have the packet that Chequessett sent me if anyone wants me to email it to them.We're having our reception at the Pamet harbor yacht club in Truro. We were looking for something that fit in our budget, was on the water, allowed for a lot of flexibility, and was also very casual. Pamet fit all of these requirements for us.  It took a little work to convince my mom as well as FMIL that it will be nice as it doesn't look like much at first, but I think they've come around.
  • matchel2010matchel2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is all great information. I too am thinking about a wedding at either the Chequessette Yacht Club or the Pamet Harbor Yacht Club, Do either of you know what the prices are like at Pamet? How many people does it hold? Any more information?Thanks!
  • Soon2BaMrsDSoon2BaMrsD member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi ladies,I got married this past weekend in Truro. Our wedding ceremony was at Head of the Meadow and reception was outdoors at Truro Vineyards, catered by Terra Luna. If anyone is interested in reviews, let me know!
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Soon2BaMrsD, (or now MrsD, congrats!) I'm interested in a vendor review on Terra Luna, we're considering them for catering.
  • mod*squadmod*squad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi--really enjoyed reading this thread. I am planning a wedding for next summer. I'm still not settled on the Cape, but it is my top choice, ideally in the mid-Cape area, as my parents are in Harwich. Looking for something that is stylish, yet low-key, and affordable (I'm definitely not a Chatham Bars Inn kind of girl). Ideally, would like to do a ceremony on the beach/water. Love the idea of an old barn or farmhouse for the reception. Would love to have something that offers the option of inside (if good weather) or inside, if it rains. It's a tall order! I looked at the Chequessett. Such a great location, but I don't like the fact that you have to move from area to area for cocktails/dinner/dancing and have the dinner broken up between inside and the deck. Would love to see what people think of the Pamet. How does it operate? what are prices like? Any other ideas? thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey, I have been reading the thread on your post and was hoping someone could send me information about the Chequessett,Truro Vineyard and Pamet Harbor Yacht club as venues? I'm hoping to have a wedding in Truro/Welfleet in Summer 2010. thx!!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    maura.moran.s, email me at missfingertoes@yahoo.com... I can tell you about our reception at Truro Vineyards.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there guys. just an FYI - I did query Pamet Harbor about a month ago when we were having trouble getting a caterer within our budget at Chequessett and was told they are completely booked for Summer/Fall 2010. Also as we are looking for accommodations and rehearsal dinner spots for our wedding in Wellfleet in Sept. 2010 we are finding A LOT of people either booked or almost booked. The Holden Inn in Wellfleet told us he has 7 weddings booked for next summer already and The Winslow Tavern has 10 rehearsal dinners already booked. So not to be a total bummer but if you're thinking SUmmer 2010 out on the outer Cape, I would act FAST! And, just a warning with Chequessett - they have a list of approved caterers that you MUST use and these caterers ARE NOT cheap...Mac's Seafood blew us out of the water with their quote for what we thought was an affordable menu (TACOS!). So just keep that in mind when considering Chequessett. I LOVE the spot, it is very rustic and perfect for our style. And we were able to find a happy medium with Shannon at Sumptuous Catering -- she's been FANTASTIC. If you have a smaller wedding, under 100 you can just use the beach for ceremony and the boathouse for cocktails/dinner and you don't have to move around. That's what we're doing. Good luck!
  • lmacdonald828lmacdonald828 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,

I'm recently engaged (right before Christmas) and we are planning a wedding hopefully July 2011 in Wellfleet/Truro area we are thinking Chequessett or Pamet. We are still figuring out the details since it is the offseason. My fiance grew up in Wellfleet and his parents still live there, but we don't know where we should have people stay.  Where did you girls have your guests stay?

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We rented a big house in Truro (slept 16) for our some of our guests (those travelling long distance, to help cut down on theri expenses), and others stayed at the beachfront hotels/cottages along 6A in Truro.
  • Hi All. Also planning a Wellfleet/Truro or Ptown September 2013 wedding. Fiance and I are both from the Cape (Dennis) and are looking any private homes but worry about the rental fees/tent, etc. Any feedback re Chequasset/Macs other mentioned vendors? We're having inviting 75 guests and hope to end up with less than 65, so a small wedding. Any insight would be appreciated! Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards