Texas-Houston
Options

Photography recommendations? How far out should you book?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on good photographers? I think the biggest investment to a wedding is photography and i want a good quality photographer(on a decent budget of course). I also wanted to know, how far out should you book your photographer? My wedding isn't until June 2013 so I'm thinking it's too early to book. Thanks!!

Re: Photography recommendations? How far out should you book?

• Options
    Also, what is a decent price I should expect to budget for photography?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    We booked our photographer a little less than a year out from our wedding date.  I hiighly rec my friend for photography work.  www.amandagreenphotography.com She did our engagements - we are on her website under couples.  She has an amazing eye!  The only reason she didn't do our wedding is bc I wanted her to be a guest at the wedding.  I wish we had though bc we got married 10-22-10 and I STILL do not have my albums - ugh.
  • Options
    lnhassellnhassel member
    First Comment
    edited February 2012
    I was in a very similar situation as you are now. We considered photography a very important aspect to wedding and we were willing to spend a good portion of our budget on this however once we started looking into them they can be very expensive. One photographer told me on average his clients spend between 6-10k on his packages...of course that is in total for engagements, bridals, wedding etc.

This was way over what we were expecting however through a recommendation from a co-worker we found Tina at Agape House Studios and she is AMAZING!! We thought her prices were reasonable for everything that is included and we booked her last August. Which was a little over a year from our wedding. Good photographers book fast so it is never too early!

Another friend of mine used Mustard Seed Photography and they were wonderful to work with at the wedding. I also believe that they were decently priced.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    www.fleurishimagery.com

She took our engagements and did a fabulous job. Her wedding packages start at $1500.

Depending on the photographer, some book up pretty quickly. Speak to each photographer and ask how that month is looking to them as of right now. It will be here before you know it and prices will continue to go up each month that passes. The sooner you book, that is one thing crossed off your list and at a cheaper price than if you waited a year.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Id say you want to book your photographer like, 8-14 months beforehand. On the further end out if you find one you really like who's really busy and want to guarantee your date and not wait.... expect to pay somewhere in the middle of $1300-$5000. find your photographer FIRST based on quality of work tho, and one that you mesh well with... then look at price.
    Becca & Justin - 5/16/09 - Planning Bio My Blog(updated 3/12)

• Options
    some  photographers  that I like are
    agape house studio
    r&j studio
    jenna christine photography
    nicole chatham photography
  • Options
    book your photographer ASAP...at least 1 year in advance. the really good photographers go FAST. i started looking a year in advance and many of the photographers i liked were already booked for my date..including mustard seed and amanda green. i think average package is about $2000-3000 for decent photographer. that should include bridal session, engagement, and wedding. +/- photo album or prints

some photographers you should check out
    mustard seed - really liked what i saw on their website...prices reasonable. they also do videography add ons for a really good price. they were booked :(
    agape house - love her work. i don't think her price is high for the quality, but she was over my budget. thinking back, i wish i would've splurged for this
    amanda green - recommended by mustard seed since they were booked. but she was also booked

i'm using evoke for both my photography and videographer. they don't have very good pictures on their site, but they have better pictures in the albums at their studio. the only problem is they have many different photographers and you might get a different person for each session. i requested a specific person based on reviews. they said he was available. *crossing fingers*

We got married 11/3/12!!

• Options
    I will second MidniteMustang's suggestion of 8-14 months out because it sucks having the photog you really want being booked.

I would recommend Courtney Moore Photography. She has an amazing eye, is affordable, and has a great personality. I would recommend 200%!
    And now we are as one
    Married February 20, 2011

• Options
    Start looking now fo sure.

Photogs to check out:
    Fleurish Imagery - http://fleurishimagery.com/
    Paper Dolls Photography - http://paperdollshouston.com/
    R & J Studios - http://www.randjstudios.com/

they all do amazing work. I've done several shoots with Paper Dolls including engagements, Boudoir and underwater!
  • Options
    Look as soon as you can.  Some of the photographers that I prefered were already booked when I was inquiring & that was more than a year away.
  • Options
    Definitley agree with Midnite too...
    I recommend Erica Moncada Photography.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/albums/?id=313894184939

She did an amazing job on my wedding, my gparents 5oth anniversary, a friends and my uncles wedding.

She is awesome when it comes to capturing the sweet moments that you never saw or thought you missed.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I highly recommend Deidre Lee Photography. She can create a package for someone on a budget and does an AMAZING JOB! Her website is currently under construction. I also know that she will take an appointment for next June and can also do your engagement pictures and bridal portraits if you're interested.

Her wedding packages start at 700. (This includes engagement pictures, the ceremony, and the reception)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards