Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Getting cupcakes vs getting a cake

We are on sort of a tight budget, 8k or under. Our potential venue includes the following:

•   Exclusive use of the historic home and grounds

•   Six hours (2 for set-up & photos/4 for Ceremony & Reception)

•   Coordinator for three Planning Sessions (1 hour each), Rehearsal & Event

•   Tables / Chairs / Linens / House Centerpieces (if wanted)

•   Dressing Room for the bride and her entourage

•   Outdoor or Indoor ceremony (choice of five venues)

•   Shepherd hooks/Urns/Registry & Alter tables

•   Courtyard Cocktail Tables (3)   

•   Bartender (you supply the alcohol) 

•    Silver cake plateaus or Architectural pieces for cake display/s

•   Complimentary cake cutting service

Overhead Screen & Projector / Chair Sashes / Table Runners 

DJ (four to choose from)  

Choice of:  Italian / Fajitas / Texas BBQ / Classic Buffet

For 6500

So in terms of the cake, I personally want cupcakes, but in the grand scheme of things I would like the more budget friendly option for 70-75 guests.

Re: Getting cupcakes vs getting a cake

• You could check around and get quotes from different bakeries. There were a few I visited where cupcakes were actually cheaper than the regular wedding cake.

If you are concerned about your budget, keep it simple. Skip the elaborate detailing and just get a cake with simple icing and decorate with some inexpensive flowers. You could also check out some local grocery stores, some of them have pretty good and affordable cakes.

FOR SALE - www.sd31942.weebly.com
  • If you end up doing cupcakes, see what else the venue might throw in instead of the cake cutting service.  Maybe some crudite displays during cocktail hour, if you are having one?
  • From the looking around I've done cupcakes are actually cheaper than a big wedding cake, and I love that I can order several different flavors.  Also, the place I am ordering my cupcakes from will throw in a small cake for cutting too!
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Cupcakes are cheaper then wedding cakes and you can get a lot of different flavors.  We did cupcakes and everyone loved them.  There is just something about having your own individual cake that everyone likes.

However, if you really want a tiered wedding cake that doesn't cost you an arm and a leg you will need to buy something that is very simply decorated, like just buttercreamed.  The decorating of the cake is what drives the prices sky high.  You can always have a simple buttercream cake and then have your florist decorate it with a few flower blooms to add some color.

• We're doing cupcakes. We have about 130 people, and it's going to cost us around $300 for our cupcakes, but it would have been closer to $500 for a big wedding cake. We're also using a lady who makes and sells cupcakes out of her home.  She is licensed so our venue will allow her to cater, but she doesn't have the overhead of an actual bakery, so she's cheaper, and MUCH better than the big bakery's here!  We found her at a bridal show, so I'd suggest looking around before deciding for sure!
  • Ditto on the decorating being what drives up the cost of a cake. I'm getting a cake done by a baker out of her home, and I'm just doing messy buttercream all over, and I'm going to put a fabric flower (matching our colors) on one of the tiers. It's saving us a ton of money.
  • I am actually in the exact same boat-I just finished my budget, and it's 7500. Our guest is actually a little larger-250 is what we're planning as the final guests attending (max). How should I go about knowing whether to do cupcakes/cake? With cupcakes, they're be no cake-cutting fee, right? Plus, couldn't we make the cupcakes ourselves? We'll be getting married near Macomb, IL if anyone knows anyone good near the area...
  • I own a bakery and my cupcakes are cheaper. Just like everyone has said, you can choose more flavors, it gives more options for everyone, and they're portable. It fees up people's hands to dance and they're not tied to the plate and fork. I would highly suggest not making the cupcakes yourself. You're going to be so stressed already (and even your family will!). Even though you're not expecting a lot of people, it's still a lot fo work. Your baker is skilled at doing them much faster and can transport them easier than you might. 

A lot of people will do a 6" or 8" cutting cake, then your venue could cut that up for the people who really want cake.

We're doing self-serve frozen yogurt, but we'll still have a cutting cake. 
    imageNovember Board Siggy - The Venue!
    Photobucket
    The Great Hall at Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Oregon
    243 Invited image
    172 Can't wait image
    71 Are missing out image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I actually found a place that is fairly priced well in comparison to others I've looked at. They even said they would set up, throw in a small top tier cake, and a cupcake stand if we order at least 100 cupcakes. I don't know how many we would need to order. Maximum number if guests if everyone we invited came is about 72, so I thought 100 should work in case any one wants a second one?
  • I always suggest 1.5 cupcakes because some people will eat 2, ome wont eat any, so 100 should be perfect. 
    imageNovember Board Siggy - The Venue!
    Photobucket
    The Great Hall at Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Oregon
    243 Invited image
    172 Can't wait image
    71 Are missing out image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • How about Cake Pops? They are a huge trend right now and come in amazing flavor combos. Check out www.goodiesforgifts.com and search for Cake Pops - there are some great vendors who can customize your order. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards