South Asian Weddings

Song you're excited to dance to at a wedding reception

I'm compiling a list of 'must have' songs for the reception.

What's one of your favorite songs to hear at receptions? 'The Boys are Back'? 'Aaja Naachle'?

I figure we can swap good Hindi / bhangra / top 40 / hip hop ideas here!

Re: Song you're excited to dance to at a wedding reception

• SonaliPopSonaliPop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And to answer my own question...

Apart from Bhangra songs...I'd have to say one of my favorites is Bell Biv DeVoe's 'Poison'...that snare is the best!
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Its probably so far away for us that I am sure, our song choices are goig to keep changing.  So I have decided to hold off on this till we know when the wedding is.  I really don't have a favorite song that must be included and neither does he.  I think we will include some Frank Sinatra for sure, a lot of Hindi songs, and Bhangra as well, but nothing specific. 

I just want to avoid all Himesh Reshamiya songs, and anything that is really bad. 
  • edited December 2011
    I will dance to anything bhangra.  I also love some bollywood dance songs like desi girl, say na na, bole chudiyan, kajrare, dhoom taana, dance pe chance, it's the time to disco. :)
  • edited December 2011
    I am really looking forward to some Michael Buble! It's so cheesey, but I love him!

And I totally agree with Hina, I am going to ask to avoid the Himesh Reshamiya songs and songs along those lines that make you say "what on earth is this garbage" when you hear it, haha!
    ExerciseMilestone
  • HinajHinaj member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_south-asian-weddings_song-excited-dance-wedding-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:430Discussion:82ded8aa-a691-4fb8-bafd-05f36d79ae30Post:764aec07-4eb7-44d4-a3bc-9eb7f3f03405">Re: Song you're excited to dance to at a wedding reception</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am really looking forward to some Micheal Buble! It's so cheesey, but I love him! And I totally agree with Hina, I am going to ask to avoid the Himesh Reshamiya songs and songs along those lines that make you say "what on earth is this garbage" when you hear it, haha!
    Posted by raangoli[/QUOTE]

OMG!!!  That is exactly what I think when  I go to some weddings and my thought is What the *** am I listening to?  Dont they realize this is a wedding? 
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah!

I like Michael Buble. Not so much Himesh.

• edited December 2011
    Ofcourse I looking forward to our first dance song- it will be 2-3 min of "cant take my eyes off you by frankie valli then the dj will transition into 2-3 min of song from kites "dil kyun yeh mera"

BUT am really excited to have the dj dedicate "pretty girls" by wale to my gfs and i will join them for it :) you guys gotta listen to the song, its perfect!!!
  • kpwedkkkpwedkk member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our dj played a lot of hindi filmi music -
    jab we met, remix, aaja nachle, bhangra, calypso (caribbean), don, Love Ki Aaj, some oldies for the sentimentalists, and instrumental (not for dancing, but for eating)

plug your nose and sing like himesh - yeah, that was on the don't play list as well as any sort of country western line dancing, or the macarena!

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart." ~ Miss K ~
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We have a good mix of hindi and hip hop, top 40 and slow songs on our list. It helps that my brother used to DJ and is pretty good with picking music for occasions like this. All hip hop will be edited and as the adults start to head home as the night grows later, it'll be more hip hop and top 40. Before that, for the first few hours, it'll be a lot of bhangra and film music with some more western hits in there. We're not having very many slow songs...maybe three or four.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards