Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Just how important is the salad anyway?

If wedding is at 6, cocktail hour from 6:30-7:30 and dinner immediately follows, how important is the salad?  Could we serve the salad during cocktail hour instead?  Our venue has these cucumber rings that sound cool.  Trying to cut here and be creative.  Also, is it tacky to not provide options for the meal? If we just serve the chicken, does it really matter?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Just how important is the salad anyway?

• edited December 2011
    As my grandpa used to say...I don't eat weeds...so I wouldn't care.  People eat what is there!  We only did one choice.  Our caterer also had a vegetarian option if people asked for it.  We gave him an estimate of the number we thought there might be.  No one complained!
    My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most people are up and about during cocktail hour, so I don't know if serving a salad then would work.

I would say serve it w/dinner or not at all.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
  • JustKateJustKate member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks gals!  Salads are $7 per person and the meal is only $25 per person.  I was just having a hard time justifying that expense.  I think we are going to cut the salad out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Instead of a salad, will there be something else, like a fruit plate or something?

And, yeah, I would offer a vegetarian or fish choice, just in case someone doesn't eat meat or chicken.
  • topchef33topchef33 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    $7 for a salad....yeah I'd definitely be nixing that!

Our venue serves salad with dinner, but it is just a garden salad...you can upgrade to nicer salads but that's an extra cost.

Anniversary [center]My Chart[/center] Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    For that price I would nix it. If you are having a full meal and cocktail hour along with desert I'm sure your guest will have plenty to eat.
  • BlueBoxBrideBlueBoxBride member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Just how many vegetable options are you having during dinner though? 

I would only not serve salad if: 

-there's plenty of vegetarian/healthy appetizers like crudites, kabob skewers, spinach and mushroom flat breads... 

-the actual entree has some fibrous element like green beans, brown rice, sweet potatoes, slaw or a generous helping of steamed veggies

-there's fruit

You have to expect that at least half of your guests are in a routine of eating 1/3 protein, 1/3 carbs and 1/3 fruits and veggies... especially older guests that may need to watch what they eat because of digestion/diabetes/heart medication. 

Can you ask the caterer how much it would be to just do small plates Euro-style with baby greens and ONLY a lemon-honey vinaigrette or balsamic? Or if they can add it to the plate as garnish? 
    "I liked it, so I put a ring on it" - future Mr. Box
  • edited December 2011
    I personally do not like the idea of only serving one entree.  Not everyone likes the same things.  I don't care for chicken, so I would be really disappointed if I went to a wedding and that was the only thing they were serving for dinner.  But you know your guests better than I do, so do whatever you think will satisfy them.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards