Wedding Invitations & Paper

Need Wording Help!

I really need some help! I have been going back and forth on appropriate invitation wording for some time now! Both my parents and FI's are divorced and re-married (that's 8 parents).

My parents are splitting the cost of the wedding equally. FI's parents are paying for the RD. FI and I wanted to just word the invitation "along with their parents". But my parents say no way, they want to be on the invitation since they are "hosting" the wedding. Which I don't have a problem with I was trying to just make it easy for everyone. They don't want step-parents  on the invites.

My parents want to word it:

Mr. K (bride's dad) and Mrs. S (bride's mom)
request the pleasure of your company at the marriage of their daughter

Bride
to
Groom

Would this be acceptable? TIA

TTC #1 Since July 2011
BFP #1 2/28/12- 3/3/12 CP at 4w3d
BFP #2 4/1/12- 5/7/12 Missed M/C at 8w4d (measuring 6w3d)
TTC on hold until December

Re: Need Wording Help!

• That would definitely be acceptable.
    Kelly & Ron 10.01.10
    Photobucket
    Anniversary Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Photobucket
  • That sounds totally reasonable.
  • Mrs. Bride's Mother
    Mr. Bride's Father
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their daughter

Bride
    to
    Groom

That's the appropriate wording for your situation.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Squirrly is right.  The "and" between the names indicates they are married.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Their names need to be on separate lines because they are no longer married.  So:

Mrs. Your Mom
    Mr. Your Dad

request the honor of your presence
    at the marriage of their daughter

You
    to
    Your FI

Use honor of your presence if you're getting married in a church or pleasure of your company if not in a church.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree with Daniel.
  • Great, thank you for the help!  I will definitely take out the 'and' ! It's not a church wedding so I will stick with- the pleasure of your company!
    TTC #1 Since July 2011
  • Dani is right.
  • Personally, I feel more than two sets of parents on an invitation is TMI, so just your mom and dad is fine.  

I feel it's a little rude to the step-parents, especially if they have been married since you were a child, not so much if they are recently married.  But in the program, all your parents and their current spouses should be listed in the program.
  • Strict etiquette does not encourage the inclusion of step-parents on the invitation unless they have replaced a natural parent, so what your parents were requesting is actually correct.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Thanks squirrly!

Catwoman-I asked about the specific wording as mentioned, not as to whether or not it is rude to not list our step-parents. There are more underlying family issues that make it more appropriate to just list my parents. It's actually rude to our parents to recognize step-parents as equal participants.Step-parents will be recognized where appropriate.
    TTC #1 Since July 2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards