Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

designer dresses

I'm killing time, browsing the latest designer gown styles and I can't help but wonder WTF!?!?! It seems that designers are trying so hard to be unique, that they're creating some pretty awful styles! Anyone's else notice this?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: designer dresses

• Options
    vanityinkvanityink member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    "High fashion" has always been rather out there. If you watch Project Runway and what not, they always say the stuff I would actually wear is "safe" or "boring" Runway fashion=bizarre, "high fashion"=odd a lot of the time from what I've seen :)
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    Many times the dresses you see on the runway aren't always the one's that end up in the store.  I think a lot of times designers tend to go a bit crazy with their runway designs so they get noticed and then tone the dresses down before sending them out for sale.

• Options
    i saw an episode of say yes to the dress blowout sale the other day...they had one such type dress, it was seriously hideous, so bad in fact it was the *dress of thew day* and if a consultant managed to sell it she got an extra $200 cash that day ROFL!

I'm pretty open minded....but this thing, it was awful. It had rows of....uh....ok think of those paper bells from christmas time where if you open them they become full with lots of lines of paper?  This dress had that paper gathered look in rows....and it was shaped like a cone. OMG it was awful LOL

They actually had a girl try it on, but she said she looked *cooney* LOL
    Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
     CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!
  • Options
    post image please!

ive seen some pretty awful dresses and tried them on even!!-- just to appease my mother and MIL. 

Except I noticed the opposite, in the haute couture salons, I found gorgeous timeless dresses, and in the cheapo factory produced bargain bin shops, the most hideous designs lay waiting for some blind bride to snap them up for rock bottom prices. :)

• Options
    I did not go the traditional route for my wedding dress.  I actually bought an ivory bridesmad dress from Jim Hjlem.  I loved it! and it only cost $225!! You can see a pic here http://happinessiscreating.com/my-wedding/
  • Options
    I did not go the traditional route for my wedding dress.  I actually bought an ivory bridesmad dress from Jim Hjlem.  I loved it! and it only cost $225!! You can see a pic here http://happinessiscreating.com/my-wedding/
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_designer-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:2e0c4278-6d47-419e-955d-f24061732ff9Post:8d9f7036-6c55-4c58-8c07-635aa79078c2">Re: designer dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]i saw an episode of say yes to the dress blowout sale the other day...they had one such type dress, it was seriously hideous, so bad in fact it was the *dress of thew day* and if a consultant managed to sell it she got an extra $200 cash that day ROFL! I'm pretty open minded....but this thing, it was awful. It had rows of....uh....ok think of those paper bells from christmas time where if you open them they become full with lots of lines of paper?  This dress had that paper gathered look in rows....and it was shaped like a cone. OMG it was awful LOL They actually had a girl try it on, but she said she looked *cooney* LOL
    Posted by beautifulmama28[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That was an AWFUL dress. That would have made a size 0 look ft. I shudder to think what it would do to my size 10 hips. 

</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Has anyone ever watched the show "Brides of Beverly Hills"?  On there the owner keeps pushing people to buy this hideous blue wedding dress.  This overly plastic surgery older woman almost did, until the "Randy" of the show came in and basically told her it was the ugliest thing he had ever seen!

Here is the best picture I could find.  I wish I could show you the back of the dress becasue the train looks like an ugly baby blue down comforter.

• Options
    Ugh, BofBH is such an awful show and that dress was just awful.  Goes to show, people can be talked into pretty much anything if you play to their egos.  Nothing compares to SYTTD, in my opinion.  They focus much more on the dresses and styles than they do the brides, or the consultants working in the salon. That's why I can't watch BofBH, Amsale Girls, or that new one in Canada, Bada-Bling Brides?  Is that what it's called?  I can't even be bothered to google it to find out, it's so bad. LOL The one episode I watched featured the family (mom/dad/daughter own the store) trying to get the daughter to wear an ugly monstrosity created by one of the store's designers for her wedding day.  The dress was awful.  It had everything-satin, tulle, lace, feathers, flowers, pick-ups, pom-poms, you name it.  It looked like they picked up all the scraps from the floor of the dress shop, stuck them on the dress, and called it couture. The daughter (also a sales consultant at the salon) hated it but gave in and wore it for her reception.
    One new show I'm looking forward to is the one where the bride has to decide between wearing her mother's wedding dress (altered) or get a new one.  I'm hoping that one focuses more on the gowns as well.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_designer-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:2e0c4278-6d47-419e-955d-f24061732ff9Post:8eaac07b-7b10-4b81-8591-c3b2e0e2da9e">Re: designer dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ugh, BofBH is such an awful show and that dress was just awful.  Goes to show, people can be talked into pretty much anything if you play to their egos.  Nothing compares to SYTTD, in my opinion.  They focus much more on the dresses and styles than they do the brides, or the consultants working in the salon. That's why I can't watch BofBH, Amsale Girls, or that new one in Canada, Bada-Bling Brides?  Is that what it's called?  I can't even be bothered to google it to find out, it's so bad. LOL The one episode I watched featured the family (mom/dad/daughter own the store) trying to get the daughter to wear an ugly monstrosity created by one of the store's designers for her wedding day.  The dress was awful.  It had everything-satin, tulle, lace, feathers, flowers, pick-ups, pom-poms, you name it.  It looked like they picked up all the scraps from the floor of the dress shop, stuck them on the dress, and called it couture. The daughter (also a sales consultant at the salon) hated it but gave in and wore it for her reception. <strong>One new show I'm looking forward to is the one where the bride has to decide between wearing her mother's wedding dress (altered) or get a new one.  I'm hoping that one focuses more on the gowns as well.
    </strong>Posted by gmcr78[/QUOTE]

I am looking forward to that show as well.  I think it would interesting to see how they take an older dress and transform it into something different.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards