Canada
Options

Wedding Timeline- Help!?

Hi there, Im new here on the Knot but have been on the bump for a while. Our wedding is August 6th 2011 and I am finding it difficult planning the reception timeline. I have only been to one wedding in the last 10 years so Im not exactly sure how everything is supposed to flow. I always watch wedding shows on tv but they are american and I guess canadian weddings are totally different according to my MOH. For example, I thought we could do the first dance right away but everyone I talked to just thought I was nuts! I cant seem to find any online examples, can anyone help me out??
Thanks!

Re: Wedding Timeline- Help!?

• Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    People are silly. You can do it however you want :)

We did our first dance at the beginning, immediately after our big entrance into the hall. It worked great because everyone was already on their feet to welcome us.

Some wedding traditions do differ by region but if you can't find any good reason to do (or not do) something, then don't worry about it!

This was our plan, though we ran a little late:
    7:00 Grand entrance, first dance
    7:30 Dinner
    9:00 Cake cutting, dessert buffet
    9:30 Speeches (only MOH, BM and us... parents didn't want to speak)
    10:00 Wedding video (our package included a short clip that they showed at the wedding)
    Then dancing
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did our dance right at the beginning too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ours will be something like this:

4:30-5:30-cocktail hour
    5:30-WP/Bride and groom entrance and introductions so we're expecting supper to start somewhere between 5:30-6 (I've been to a lot of weddings in the last few years and I am pretty sure none of them start on time!)
    6-7:30-eating
    7:30-8:30-toasts and slideshow
    8:30-first dance, parent dance, real dance!

And we have our DJ booked until 1:30am.  We don't mess around in rural Saskatchewan.  (I have a feeling the party will go on longer)

On an unrelated note-Ringpop, I LOVE your new siggy pic!!
  • Options
    ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks tiffbot! Laughing
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • Options
    tseguintseguin member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing our dance right after our entrance as well. I was at a wedding once where they did the first dance, father/daughter dance and then mother/son dance. It was way tooo long and somewhat ruined the flow of the wedding. After the dinner we will do the other two dances. 

I am finding american weddings somewhat different.  They seem to be big into grooms cakes and they don't understand the kissing game during dinner. Ie. clinking of glasses or miniputt, etc. Do what you want, it's your day, if people don't like it, then tell them not to do it at their wedding.

One of the things I HATE is the bridal party dance, unless the entire group knows each other. I hate dancing with someone I never met just because I HAVE to.  But, it was up to the bride, not me.  So, I just wont do it at my wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    On the linked post on the Toronto board I noticed that people were doing speeches and special dances between the courses of the meal. Does anyone who has done it that way suggest it? Does it help to keep people engaged (because they have something to finish eating while they listen or watch) or are people upset about stopping their conversations? I was thinking about this but would love some input, what do you think? 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did it and suggest it, only because people can eat and listen to speeches instead of eat, and sit there for possibly an hour listening to speeches.  As a teacher I know that anyone gets restless after about 15 minutes of acute attention, so breaking it up helps a lot.  Some people know you and your speech-givers more than others, so some of the "inside" stuff will get lost on them, so again, having pieces keeps the focus, and then when the meal is done, it is almost time to DANCE!

Not for everyone, but worked well for me, especially because MY parents talked a lot longer than expected.  It was nice to be able to sit and eat my delicious dessert and have a cup of tea during this time instead of running around trying to see everyone at their tables.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards