Not Engaged Yet
Options

Credit/Debit Cards

I went to use my debit card to get gas yesterday and it was declined.  Then I went to get lunch for work this morning and it was declined again.  I double checked my account and I have more than enough to cover the costs.

So I called the card company and they said that my security "may have been compromised" when I made a recent purchase so they put a hold on the account and they are sending me a new card with a new number.  By no means am I complaining about them putting a hold on my account - I think it's awesome that these precautions are in place.  I'm just wondering why my security "may have been compromised" more than once in the last few months (my credit card company recently sent me a new card and said the same thing).

Has this happened to anyone else?  The bank couldn't tell me which location or website caused this to happen, so I don't know how to prevent it from happening again.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Re: Credit/Debit Cards

• Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My credit card number was stolen once, I figure it was at a gas station. They actually phoned me and went through the previous 5 transactions, half of which weren't me. It is definitely frustrating. Although, it is too bad that they didn't call you first and warn you. The bank froze my mom's account accidently and she was so embarassed that her card was declined at the grocery store, fortunately she had enough cash but that wouldn't normally be the case.

Seriously it could be anywhere, that is why I use cash or credit card and try to avoid using my debit.
  • Options
    lunarsongbirdlunarsongbird member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Interesting. I've had one of my credit card numbers stolen, as well- but it was a maxed out card! LOL! They werent able to charge anything.

I also had my card put on hold everytime I bought text bookes.

But my card has never been compromised. That's frustrating that they wont tell you what happened. How are you supposed to avoid it if they don't give you any details?

What bank?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The article says that the company that is causing this breach services "some franchise chains, but not any corporate names anybody would recognize,".

I bought a cell charger at one of those stands in the mall and if that could be it, though I guess I'll never know.  All of my other purchases are large chain stores (supermarket, Walmart, Target, etc).

It seems like they are catching this before there are any fraudulent charges made to accounts, so that's good.  Be careful with your cards, ladies!
  • Options
    cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Yes, this happened to me not too long ago, though they didn't need to send me a new card. They flagged it for a transaction that was actually mine, so they just took the hold off of it.

The same thing happened to my BF when we were in Mexico. It was uber annoying but both of us have a spare credit card that we use in emergencies. I guess it's just a fact of life in this day of electronic payments, right?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_creditdebit-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:94a15008-5b55-4f2b-9f88-ed36823d33b3Post:3383f689-de7e-491e-8efa-495cb92b64b8">Re: Credit/Debit Cards</a>:
    [QUOTE]Interesting. I've had one of my credit card numbers stolen, as well- but it was a maxed out card! LOL! They werent able to charge anything. I also had my card put on hold everytime I bought text bookes. But my card has never been compromised. That's frustrating that they wont tell you what happened. How are you supposed to avoid it if they don't give you any details? What bank?
    Posted by lunarsongbird[/QUOTE]

My debit card is through PNC Bank, but this has happened to my Mastercard too.

From what I understand, there is a company that small and large businesses use for their credit card machines so that they can accept cards.  The company that they used caused the breach, in turn causing Visa and Mastercard to take extra precautions to all customers that have made purchases at places that use this company.

ETA: When this happened to my mastercard, they told me that all customers making purchases at these locations got new cards even if there was no suspicious activity on their cards. 
  • Options
    Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    This hasn't happened to me, but there was also just a debit card security breach at Michaels. 
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had my bank card copied last year. I didn't even know until someone from my bank called asking if I tried taking $1,000.00 out of my account. I laughed because I hardly ever have that kind of money available in my chequing account. I asked the bank which company was using my card to access funds but they wouldn't tell me. They said they report to the incident to the police so they can lay charges if necessary. I always cover the pad when I enter my PIN now... I know I look stupid doing it but you have to remember security cameras can zoom in to see your PIN, and you never know who's watching!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had my debit card numbers stoen once. I had moved back to St. Louis about six month prior and because I had moved from a town 20+ miles from where the card number were used in Kansas, they said it was probably me. I was working in the shoe department at Nordstrom at the time and the cards were used in a Macys and a Payless. No place I would have been! lol It sucked but since I had commerce I went to the bank and they took care of it right away and printed a new card with flat numbers (to avoid it happening again) right there in the bank.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Your CC number was probably stolen.  It's happened to me before.

Thank God for security checks.
  • Options
    Hazel_BHazel_B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is amazing what they catch. They caught my card within 12 hours of the first  transaction and they were all at pharmacies near where I work, so pretty plausible.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My debit card gets declined sometimes. It's sooo embarassing. Once I didnt' have any cash on me and all I had brought was my debit card+ID. So I just had to leave all my groceries there. That was sooo embarassing. If I have nothing else on me, I usually just stop at the ATM and get cash so I dont' ahve that happen again. eeek.
    When you love someone, you can tell. When you're in love with someone, everyone else can tell.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry about your crappy situation!

Someone stole my debt card number a few weeks ago. I don't really know how because I don't frequently use the card anywhere. I actually ended up calling one of the companies that someone charged to my debit card (modcloth) and the fraud person there said he had a number of similar calls that day and gave me his number so I could give it to my local police station since he had some other information that he couldn't tell me directly. It was annoying because my account was $200 less than it should have been till the money got returned a week or so later, but I'd like to think that I may have helped catch whoever did it (unlikely).

I've heard of a few widespread security issues at stores lately including Walmart and Michaels stores, so if you shopped there, your card info may have been taken.

You don't happen to have a Playstation 3 do you? Their network was recently hacked and bf's (playstation dedicated) CC was stolen. He's pretty convinced that it was one of the hackers because they had his address and ps3 email address to etc etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_creditdebit-cards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:94a15008-5b55-4f2b-9f88-ed36823d33b3Post:6787ae69-6e33-41bb-8ed7-f71e61cba526">Re: Credit/Debit Cards</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry about your crappy situation! Someone stole my debt card number a few weeks ago. I don't really know how because I don't frequently use the card anywhere. I actually ended up calling one of the companies that someone charged to my debit card (modcloth) and the fraud person there said he had a number of similar calls that day and gave me his number so I could give it to my local police station since he had some other information that he couldn't tell me directly. It was annoying because my account was $200 less than it should have been till the money got returned a week or so later, but I'd like to think that I may have helped catch whoever did it (unlikely). I've heard of a few widespread security issues at stores lately including Walmart and Michaels stores, so if you shopped there, your card info may have been taken. You don't happen to have a Playstation 3 do you? Their network was recently hacked and bf's (playstation dedicated) CC was stolen. He's pretty convinced that it was one of the hackers because they had his address and ps3 email address to etc etc.
    Posted by kellylove22[/QUOTE]

Hm.. I shop at Walmart frequently and we have a PS3.  I don't have my credit card info on there so I think I'm okay there. Luckily I haven't seen any fraudulent charges on my account yet but I'll have to be extra vigilant.
  • Options
    DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My company, both credit and debit, will flag purchases that are "unusual" in price or content or geographic area. How they figure these things out, I have no idea. 

I guess they figure I've never ever spent over a few hundred dollars on any single thing, I write checks for big things (never debit or credit for things like mortgage or those expenses over $1,000), and I got into the habit of calling before I went out of town on vacation and especially overseas to alert the companies that I was going to be out of the country and please don't decline my cards while I'm there. 

So far, so good. Knock on wood. But I'm glad they are sending you a new card. It's probably for the best. I'm starting to get paranoid and nothing bad has ever happened to me. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a lady call me two days ago saying my card number had been stolen and she needed to get me a new one. She said that a company in the Netherlands had a charge of $0.00 to see if it was an open account. They caught it before they actually took any money out.

I did buy something at Walmart a week ago. I wonder if that was it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards