Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Too many????

Going to look at venues this week!!! After emailing for pricing, available dates, and searching reviews I have eight that I want to see. Is that insane?!? How many do most people look at before choosing?
Wedding Countdown Ticker TnE0217

Re: Too many????

• edited May 2012
    Only looked at 2 places. I pretty much knew which one I wanted and there weren't that many that fit my budget.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I really only looked at one.  I was in contact with two others, but, after seeing Maggiano's and talking with them, I canceled/didn't go see the others. 
  • I'm sorry, can anyone see these posts?  I see that there are replies, but I see nothing!
    Anniversary

• I don't see anything! Cry
  • I can finally see it, but couldn't for hours.

To answer the question, I knew exactly where I wanted. I looked at it once and signed the dotted line that day.

Eight does seem like a lot to look at. If you plan on having the ceremony and reception at different sites, you should consider drive time between the two.
    Also, your budget may eliminate some immediately.

If you give us some place you're considering and your budget and guest list, we may be able to give you some guidance.
  • We had a list of about 12 places that seemed to fit our needs, but we narrowed it down to our top 3 that we liked the best (and price was a major factor in this for us) to actually visit. We decided that if we weren't happy with any of those 3 after seeing them we'd schedule some more visits elsewhere but after visiting we really liked all 3 and rather than complicating it any more we just picked between the 3.

8 seems like a lot of places to visit to me, but if you really can't pick a few favorites out of the 8 that seem better for whatever reason than the others, you might as well go see them all; it won't cost you anything to visit and hopefully seeing the places in person will help you narrow things down!

• I looked at that many online but narrowed it down to 3 but after the first one our favorite hotel where we went for drinks on our first date we knew that was it. IMO 8 is too many and you will likely have a hard time choosing. I would pare it down to 4.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_too-many?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:45b81d44-5aea-42de-aa65-2a3ca1263342Post:2d3cc6f7-ff25-498c-a180-8ab82314be7a">Re:Too many????</a>:
    [QUOTE]I looked at that many online but narrowed it down to 3 but after the first one our favorite hotel where we went for drinks on our first date we knew that was it. IMO 8 is too many and you will likely have a hard time choosing. I would pare it down to 4.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

I agree with this.  My coordinator sent me a huge list of venues that could accommodate our guest count, and based on the website, I was able to eliminate several.  I think we wound up looking at three places, although one place had three different options for rooms we could use.  We had appointments to see a few others, but were able to eliminate them based on what we'd seen (like, I eliminated Hickory St. Annex after seeing 333 First Street).
    Anniversary

• We had looked at one to start off and thought that was the place we wanted to book untill my dad convinced us to look at others to be sure and it was the second one that we both feel in love with.  We are so happy that we are going with our second choice.  Count down is getting shorter, soon the best day of our lives will be here  :)

Anniversary
    imageimage

TTC since 8/2012
    BFP#1 ? 11/15/12 ectopic-too early to have EDD ? MTX 11/30/12
    BFP#2 ?
    ?PAL/PGAL Welcome?

• arco13arco13 member
    First Comment
    You should go see as many as you see fit. I browsed and got pricing online for SEVERAL venues. Just make sure you're looking at things within your price range and will fit the size of your wedding, so you don't fall in love with something you can't afford.

I would also make sure to look at the catering requirements-I was originally looking for the Japanese Gardens, but realized I had to use their Restaurant for catering, and could byob, so I crossed it off the list. Make sure you've thought about what type of food you want, if you want to bring in your own catering and drinks (and what they're policy on liquor is-some places are wine and beer only), and again, what your budget for these things are.

These are the things that helped me most picking mine out. Happy Hunting!
  • TK ate my post but IMO, 8 is alot.  I would try and narrow it to 4.  Eight is alot to choose from and you may just end up confused.  I had appointments with 3 but only went to one appointment and booked that venue since it was perfect for our guest size and also meaningful to us personally.
  • Thanks for the opinions! My main problem is that I can't figure out what "vibe" I want... more modern or classic, so I've got a little of both.  Problem is, they are ALL in my budget and fit my guest list! I'm just really indecisive and don't want to feel like I missed something!
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2012
    In Response to Re:Too many????:[QUOTE]Thanks for the opinions! My main problem is that I can't figure out what quot;vibequot; I want... more modern or classic, so I've got a little of both. nbsp;Problem is, they are ALL in my budget and fit my guest list! I'm just really indecisive and don't want to feel like I missed something! Posted by tprice11[/QUOTE] Being indecisive won't get any easier with 8 choices. :) Let us know how it goes!
  • I booked appointment at 3 but after the second we book and I called and canelled the 3rd.

I also think that 8 is a little much, as Stephie said it will only get harder after you see them.  I would try and find a few things that would narrow it down at least a little more.  Maybe you can take a little more time and try to decide what vibe you are going for.  There were tons of places in our budget and guest list but there were many other factors that helped us narrow it down.
  • I actually toured 8 venues, haha! Only 5 of them were in one day though (and we kept it short and sweet -- my planner actually was with me for those, and we were in and out in less than 20 minutes in each place.)

They all fit my budget, which was my biggest criteria. They all had totally different vibes (some rustic, some artsy, some ballroom-esque, etc). I really had no clue which one I liked from the websites, quotes, info I had. But once I walked into my venue (the 8th one, too), I instantly knew that was the one. It was a gut-level reaction for me.

So I don't think 8 is too many, but I'm biased because that's what I did too :) Just don't anguish over the pros and cons -- see what your gut tells you when you're actually IN the space. Hopefully it's as easy for you as it was for me.
  • 8 seems like quite a bit (sorry, MarieSD!).  We looked at one in person -- I looked at many, many more online.  I made a few phone calls, read a lot of reviews, and looked at even more websites and narrowed it down that way.  Reflections was our #1 choice and it worked out well when we met with them -- we had no need to look anywhere else.

You mentioned not knowing your "vibe" you were going for yet.  I think you can make mosts wedding venues into whatever you want.  Our venue had ugly carpet and blue walls throughout.  I couldn't figure out what the heck we were going to do with it.  But I finally started going in the "vintage garden" direction and it turned out well.  Unless your space is SUPER defining (like tons of old, ornate gold items or something like that), you can make it whatever you want.  Your tablescapes and details will define it.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I think we looked at 4 or 5 in person. 

If you are having a hard time picking your "vibe" maybe start by looking at your favorite venue from each "vibe" then once you've figured out which you want you can narrow your search down from there.
  • I think we ended up looking at 7, haha. However, we did it in several different weekends, and I only continued to book appointments as we crossed places off of our list. My problem was that we would always find out about additional fees, or rules once we got there (or we would just realize we didn't like the space). We did end up going back and booking the 2nd place that we looked at though.

I think you will probably start to get a feel for what you like and what you're looking for once you start looking. We realized that we definitely wanted a place where we could bring in our own food and alcohol (and I had no idea about that when I started).

Also, if you would like to get opinions of the places you're considering (before you take the time to look) the ladies on this board always have great insight. They may be able to provide you with some info that you didn't realize about the venues to help narrow it down.
    Anniversary
  • I went to 10...I was a bit obsessive about finding the right venue, and finally found something in my price range and style that I loved!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Glad to know that I'm not alone!  I've seen 2 today, and absolutely LOVED the second one! BUT, I'm still going to go and see the others, just in case!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards