New Mexico

Guest List

Hello ladies!

So finance and I were randomly talking today and he mentioned that a friend of his recently started dating a girl.  Lights start going off on my mind thinking, wedding etiquette.  Here's the deal, invitations have been stuffed, sealed, RSVP cards (all of which are customized for each guest) have been printed and envelopes addressed. 

Our guest list is pretty much maxed out as it is and like I said everything is ready we are just waiting to send them out in a couple of weeks. 

What would you ladies do in this situation?

I wanted to post here instead of the etiquette board because sometimes they eat people alive.

Thanks for the help!

Re: Guest List

• BeazillaBeazilla member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would just invite him by himself. The exception being if you gave other people in relatively new relationships invitations to bring a date. If they just started dating and haven't moved in together or gotten engaged (it can happen), then don't worry about her not being invited. A friend's wedding can put a lot of pressure on a fledgling relationship.

Etiquette says to invited married, engaged, long term partners, or cohabitators as a social unit. And they don't fall into any of those categories. You can set up a double date with them for after the wedding if you're feeling especially guilty about not including the new girlfriend.
  • scullisculli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info.  :)  Now I don't have to worry about it and no more stress about the situation!
  • edited December 2011
    No, I wouldn't stress about it now. 

Regardless, I think your fiance needs to prepare for a phone call from his friend saying, "Hey man, I'm dating Sue now... do you think I can bring her?" At that time, hopefully you will have either received enough declines that you have room, OR your fiance will have to be prepared to say no.

The other possibility is one brought up in another thread where people assume a date is implied in the invitation addressed only to them, especially here in NM, because we generally don't follow that rule. In that case, you'll just have to deal, but it's something else to consider.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards