Rhode Island

Avoid this Videographer - WeddingStoriesRI

My husband and I got married July 17th in Newport and have not received our wedding video as of yet.  We were promised in our contract our wedding video 6- 8 weeks after our wedding. It has been over five months since our wedding and after contact John on a weekly basis for the last two months. I did receive an e-mail that he would contact me that evening but he never did. I continue to contact him on a weekly basis through e-mail and phone calls with no reply at all.  John came highly recommended to my husband and I as a videographer but currently I very disappointed at his professionalism. After the amount of money we paid for our videographer package I would have assumed I would received the highest quality of service but I guess I was very wrong.  

It does appear from the other review on this website by Pat G. that other brides are having the same issues as we are. It is very unfortunate because the rest of our vendors were absolutely wonderful and I would recommend them to anyone.

Re: Avoid this Videographer - WeddingStoriesRI

• edited December 2011
    Agreed! We booked John for our December wedding and we, as well as our planner, called and emailed him several times the week leading up to the wedding to confirm times, details, etc. He never responded. We ended up booking Mike Mota instead just three days before (can't praise him enough!). John finally contacted us after I emailed him saying we secured an alternate videographer and he promised our deposit back and we haven't seen it yet. I've since emailed him once and phoned him once. It's too bad because I heard he does amazing work. Good luck getting your video!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so sad to keep reading these negative posts about John. I used him for my May wedding and have nothing but good things to say about him! I'm sorry you are going through this.
  • edited December 2011
    (sorry this is in all bold, I tried unbolding it, but it isn't working)

lizhaffty, you're not alone.  I posted in a thread a week or so ago with other brides that are still waiting for their video.  I got married in September and have not heard a word from John.  I originally emailed him at the beginning of November to ask if he could make sure to include something in our video (I wasn't even trying to bug him about when we'd get the video).  I've been calling and emailing him since then and it's been over 2 months without the decency of a response from him.  I am furious at this entire situation and am really worried that he's stolen our money and we'll never see our video.  Is there anyone on our boards here that has spoken with him within the last few weeks?  I don't mean to come off as a pessimist, but with so many people complaining that they have not heard anything from him, I don't know how not to think that he scammed us.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://newport.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_rhode-island_avoid-this-videographer-weddingstoriesri?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:122Discussion:e12508e0-1f26-4693-bcfa-f64597ad5413Post:9f7fffda-43d0-4cc4-8fc6-fd424ecb334d">Re: Avoid this Videographer - WeddingStoriesRI</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm so sad to keep reading these negative posts about John. I used him for my May wedding and have nothing but good things to say about him! I'm sorry you are going through this.
    Posted by jonnysbride2010[/QUOTE]

jonnysbride2010.  just out of curiousity, how long did it take from your May wedding to get the video?
  • edited December 2011
    I was married Aug 7 and used John.   He has always been prompt to respond to me and reached out to me last month and explained his backup.   I personally am in no rush and tried to convey that to him.     I love his work and I know my video will be worth waiting for, but all I can say is keep reaching out to him - he's been responsive to me when I've needed him.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi cbrown, thanks for letting us know.  Do you mind sharing what he told you as about the backup and what his expected timeline is? 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm trying to remember exactly what he said - sadly I was in a cab in Boston when he called and the conversation sort of went in one ear and out the other as I struggled to hear him better.   It was also 2 days before Thanksgiving and my mind couldn't have been further from the wedding.   But, he did acknowledge that he was really backed up and was quite apologetic.   For the life of me I'm trying to remember what he was saying as far as dates go - normally I try to write stuff like that down when I talk to vendors but I wasn't in a position to!   I don't want to guess as to what he was told me as far as a possible timeline because that wouldn't be fair to him or any of you if I'm recalling it wrong.   But he let me know that he'll be in touch with me when he starts working on it (there was something in particular that he knows I want edited out of the video).    I definitely took away from the conversation that he is aware things have gotten backed up, and that he's working his butt off.   I know I talked to my mom after the conversation - I'll ask if she remembers any details I may have told her.    

Sorry girls - this was the least informative post I possibly could have written.   November feels like an eternity ago - my memory is failing me!
  • edited December 2011

I am glad to see I am not alone with my frustration. At least John has contacted some of his brides to explain the backup. My wedding was in July and I have contacted him every other week since then with no response back.

With the amount of money we have paid for our wedding videos, I am very disappointed in her professionalism. Right after our wedding, I would have provided John with a wonderful recommendation but sadly now I will not be able to.

Does anyone know the back up wait time John is providing to other brides?

• edited December 2011

I got married in September and am also having the same issue.  The thing that I really am most frustrated with is the fact that he hasn't gotten back to me.  I've sent emails and my husband has left messages, but we haven't heard anything...I would be much more understanding, if he would just contact me himself and let me know that he is behind. 

I'm so sorry to hear other brides have had the same issue.  If anyone hears anything from John, please keep us all updated!

• edited December 2011
    DanaMarie,

I feel the same frustration as you are with John. He needs to be professional and keep his brides informated of the situation and why it is taking so long from their wedding videos.

If I hear anything from John I will let you girls know.
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Ladies...

I just wanted to follow up and see if anyone has heard from John yet.  I still haven't heard anything and I'm not sure what to do next.....
  • edited December 2011
    we've been having the same issue.  we got married in August and have not heard back.  we were starting to get nervous - my husband ended up getting an email chain going with a bunch of other couples - 10 all together (maybe some of you are on it).  some (hopefully!) promising news - tow of the brides heard from him within the past week or two.  he said he'd have their footage by the end of this month.  i'll post if we have anything from him about when we can expect our footage.  hope it owkrs out for all of us!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards