Outdoor Weddings

rustic yet still fancy??? help

we have our venue picked, date is open, just waiting on all confirmations. here's the problem it's at a 'farm' with 140 acres. the ceremony will be outdoors and the reception will be in the 'barn'. we want rustic as our theme but the colors I pick which is a blue shade and brown, he says no too. he doesn't think the blue is rustic. I still want a fancy reception and looking at past weddings there it had happened. I don't want it to end up being a hoedown. anyway to make it rustic but fancy? edit: forgot to mention it will be a June wedding.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: rustic yet still fancy??? help

• Where is the venue?
  • YES! You can totally make it fancy still. Think big white beautiful flowers, lace/white linens, and all sorts of options to dress it up.

With a barn/farm setting, you can use that as the base and take it up from there. I wouldnt try and over-complicate the decorations, I think the more simple you go (especially with colors), the more "fancy" you can make it look. Use white twinkle lights in all sorts of ways. There are millions of ideas on Pinterest if you just type in "country wedding".

Hope that helps. Not sure about the color blue... but I could be wrong!
  • Yes, you can have rustic and elegant at the same time. I could be wrong, but I think if you do something elegant in a barn, or on a farm, your guests will see what you did to make it elegant IN a more rustic setting. Use real china/plates/glasses, have elegant table scapes, use elegant flowers (hydrangeas, roses, lillies)  mixed with rustic flowers (Queen Anne's Lace, wheats). If you want to get away from rustic vases, you could use vintage like white milk glass vases or maybe silver or glass bowls.

As for blue not being "rustic", I think if you go to a hardware store and look at the paint color cards, you can find a rustic shade of blue. I think of blue-grays, or a faded but bright blue. You also can use blue as an accent color with brown and something more rustic like a faded yellow.

Good luck.
  • edited January 2012
    You can absolutely do rustic and elegant at the same time, but you need to work with your venue to make that happen.

I'd have to agree with your FI that blue doesn't "match" rustic. Soft pinks, peaches, creams, all elegant, while fit in with a rustic theme.

That being said, a lighter blue - Tiffany's or robin's egg or something with cream and lace, etc. would be beautiful. I have a royal blue image in my mind that isn't working...
  • @funandfreckles: no definitely not royal blue. I was thinking a lighter blue. I found a very nice blue it's on the lighter side but not a soft blue (if that makes sense.) I can't find the pic right now (but it looks great with a brown "belt"). For some reason every time I look at colors the blues pop out at me.

Thank you everyone for your ideas :)

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Check out sparkleandhay.com which is specifically dedicated to rustic chic weddings!  Might give you great ideas.  We are having a rustic elegant nature-inspired wedding in Jackson Hole.  I think you can absolutely achieve both rustic & elegant, but you just have to get creative!  :) 
  • I'm so glad I read through this post... this is exactly what I was looking for... and sparkleandhay.com is an amazinggggg blog!!  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • I am doing rustic yet fancy and actually originally blue and brown were going to be my colors but my sister in law got married first and she took those colors so I am going with green and brown. We are having camo vests on the men so it actually wraps the theme in better! I am going to make our cake look like a birch tree and our centerpieces our a wood plate (that my fiance is cutting to save money) with a simple candle with ribbon tied around and then acorns spread around the table. The biggest thing is that you are both happy! Don't let other people tell you that your wrong or they don't like your ideas. It isn't about them! I told both moms that if this experience becomes a chore instead of fun I will elope. And I said if people can't get along I won't invite them. This is about your love for eachother! Stick to your guns!!
  • PINTEREST IS THE WAY TO GO ON THIS butif you really like the blue a trick I've found useful to the "rustic" look even if it's baby blue. Try to incorporate wood deco. Paint on the blue and then wipe off while it's still wet, it'll keep e blue bit still allow that worn look and very pretty rustic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards