North Carolina-Raleigh-Durham

Outdoor/Lakeside Venues

Hello alll!
Im new to this board, I've been on the VA board a lot looking for advice on outdoor venues. My FI is from Durham and I'm from a small town in VA, (South Hill) it's about a hour away from Raleigh. We both live in Illinois now and are getting married on May 12, 2012. Are there any outdoor venues in the Raleigh/Durham area you all would suggest. My FI really wants something lakeside and that it's too expensive. Please help and thanks in advance
Graphics Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Outdoor/Lakeside Venues

• edited December 2011
    I wonder if Lake Michie ("mickey" pronunciation) has any park type facilities you could rent out?  I know within Raleigh/durham you can rent county park type facilities and they're right on the lake.

There is a beautiful place in north durham called the Arrowhead Inn.  They don't pay to get featured on TK, but it s a BEAUTIFUL place and it's on 501 north and I guess it could be thought of as "on the way" to South Hill if you want to think of it that way.  Easy to find on the internet.  Address is on Mason Road, I think.

I've heard a lot of good things about the Spruce Pine Lodge in Bahama NC (just north of Durham, same area as Arrowhead Inn) and it has lots of lovely outdoor space and indoor space for the WP.  

My church (Ridgecrest Baptist) has a pond on its campus, and while it is not a "lake," the land around the pond is relatively flat, so you could have it by the pond if you want the lakeside effect.  I think you might have to be a church member, or have someone who is a church member to be in charge of helping you at that site, but it is worth checking into, if you're a church person.  church website is www.ridgecrest.cc.  

If I think of anything else I'll post it... I'm a North Durham girl and my FI lives in Creedmoor.  We opted to have our wedding in Durham.

good luck! 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    Ah - thought of something else.  the place I'm having the reception -- Homestead Steakhouse -- they have a "festival house" which holds up to about 300 guests and they would do your catering, etc.  They have a LARGE pond on site with a gazebo on the pond, and they have had outdoor weddings there too.  Its address is technically in Timberlake Nc, which is north on 501 going towards Roxboro, but the "country" air is so quiet and might be more secluded for your event.  Plus, the food is AMAZING, and they have really great rates for reception catering.  
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • edited December 2011
    A couple of suggestions.  My fiance is a caterer and he did a wedding at Lake Wheeler in Raleigh.  They  had the ceremony and dancing on the deck overlooking the lake. There was a room of the deck where the food and cake were set up. 

Another location, not too far from Durham is Pine Lake Pavillion in Mebane, NC.  It is off exit 154 and has a tent set up and is really pretty.  My cousin's daughter was married there last year.  The only draw back that day it was 90 degrees+ and extremely hot in the tent.

• edited December 2011
    Thank you all for all the info. Greatly appreciated!!!
    Graphics Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I am having mine at Campbell Lodge in Durant Nature Park. It is right next to Gresham Lake and you can see the lake through the trees. 
  • edited December 2011

I attended a wedding in Chapel Hill at The Barn at Valhalla.. really cute venue and the bride had a budget wedding there and it was beautiful.  Not sure about the cost (you have to call the owner) but I don't think it should be outrageous.  No preferred vendors or anything, which is a plus!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AnnieK1980AnnieK1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! We looked at The Doubletree Hotel in Durham. They have a beautiful courtyard that is literally on the lake behind the hotel, then they have the reception inside. Didnt end up using them, but thought it was quite pretty!

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/dt/hotel/RDUIIDT-Doubletree-Guest-Suites-Raleigh-Durham-North-Carolina/index.do
    -Anne
  • edited December 2011
    Not sure of you booked anything yet, but I was also looking for lakeside in  the area.  MacGregor Downs Country Cub is what I decided on.  The Angus Barn also has a lakeside venue (I never ended up visiting it), as well as Shady Wagon Farm (which was beautiful). 

I saw someone mentioned the Barn at Vahalla.  I was at a wedding there and it is very nice.  But after the fact the bride mentioned to me that some other people that she met who got married there said the owner decided to mingle with the guests during the wedding in an inapproriate outfit (I believe it was something like cut off jeans).  My friend was lucky and the owner was laid up with a broken leg during her wedding.  And recently someone else she knows decided to get married there and when the person dropped off the deposit check the owner  was wearing a robe and it accidentally came open.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards