Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Removing the registry for the wedding?

I will be having a wedding shower 3 months before the wedding. After the shower, we were strongly thinking about deleting our registery with the stores we had used so that guests might instead give a monatary gift at the wedding.

We could really use the money and since the shower gifts should cover most of our needs we thought this would be okay. 

We are also a rather young couple, 23 and 24, and will be most likely starting out in a very small apartment after the wedding and moving a bit before we finally get settled. So sets of china and good silver are not really what we want at this point. 

Is this something that anyone else has done? Do people tend to give money for the wedding anyway and gifts for the shower? 

Any advice on this would be great! Thanks in advance. 

Re: Removing the registry for the wedding?

• Options
    In our area most people bring cash gifts.  Just so you know.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Just keep your registries small, your guests will get the hint you prefer cash, plus registry info does not go in the wedding invites.  Around here, boxed gifts are for showers, while cash gifts are for the wedding.
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
  • Options
    Just keep a small registry.  If you delete it you runthe risk of getting things that you do not need or want.  I think most people (at least around here) give a boxed gift at the shower and then money for the wedding anyway.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    aragx6aragx6 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    You're probably going to have a few family members who won't give cash no matter how much gentle urging you give them, so unless you want some really random stuff I would keep a small registry. Most people will either be used to giving cash at weddings anyway or will take the hint that that's what you would prefer.
    Lizzie
  • Options

I would suggest either removing the registries after the shower (not immediately, as we got some "late" gifts and my cousin was upset I deleted it), OR removing several items from the registry that you decide you don't really want.

For instance, we deleted our Target registry after the shower because not much was left - some board games, and the TV my fiance wanted.  but we left our Macy's registry since our china was listed, and we really wanted it and knew we'd never get around to buying it ourselves.

• Options
    I would keep your registry small OR maybe downsize it after the shower if anything.  I would not totally remove it because some people will want to give you something that isn't money.  
  • Options
    Maybe you could just make it private instead of cancelling it completely.

Many retailers offer registry discounts and incentives after your wedding, so even if you don't use it immediately, it will still be there a few months afterwards.

Also in case you have issues with returns or unknown gifts, it's nice to know you have a backup in having your registry available.  Just some things to keep in mind...
  • Options
    I have never seen anyone from our area give a physical gift for a wedding. Everyone gives cash at the wedding.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    There are some registries out there that offer cash as a gift. I've had friends use sites like Zankyou because they didn't want tons of cash just floating around at the wedding.
  • Options
    We get a 10% discount at Target for anything on our registry that isn't bought so that's why we are keeping it. I'm in the same boat, we have a small apartment so we can't have too much stuff. I did downsize it a little and kept some stuff we still needed so we could get the discount if no one gets them, plus we have gift cards to use also!
    I would check with that first :D hope this helps
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards