Wedding Etiquette Forum

Announcing Bride and Groom

What is the proper way to annouce the bride and groom at the reception??
Photobucket We're Married!!!!

Re: Announcing Bride and Groom

• However you want it done.

Mr. and Mrs. John Doe I think is the old fashioned way of doing it, but this is one of those things that isn't going to offend your guests if you choose to do it another way.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • We did "Dr. and Mrs. David and Lauren LastName".  It's a little wordy, but it was important to me to keep part of my own individual identity and not have everything only attached to his name..  If that's not important to you, 'Mr. and Mrs. LastName" or Mr. and Mrs. HisFirstName LastName" is fine too. Whatever you want!
  • My Fiance wants us to barge in to the Carmina Burana. I think I will let him have this one because it sounds EPIC. :-)
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Would it be weird if they announced Mr. HisLastName and Mrs. HerLastName if I plan to keep my birth name?

Or is that weird?
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think that would be weird, I know people who have kept their last name, and even still at the wedding they were announced as Mr. and Mrs. Smith, don't ruffle any feathers and be particular, I would raise a major eyebrow if you were introduced with different last names, I would kind of think... "then what was that ceremony I just sat through?"
  • We did "Mr. and Mrs. Nathan and Jenna LastName," but I think everyone was so distracted with our Backstreet Boys entrance song that no one noticed!
  • We're planning to do Janis and Greg Lastname to the Final Countdown :)
    planning

• We did "Captain and Mrs. Lastname" at the conclusion of the ceremony, and "Beth and Mark Lastname" for the reception.  If you're not changing your name, it's probably easist to just be "First and First!"
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • I feel like if we were announced as Mr. and Mrs. HisLastName people would assume that I was taking FI's last name when we have pretty much told our friends and family I am not which might confuse them...

What are other ways people announce the bride and groom?
  • redheadfsuredheadfsu member
    First Comment
    edited August 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:4f9b0439-823e-4627-867d-c718386a30ba">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]I feel like if we were announced as Mr. and Mrs. HisLastName people would assume that I was taking FI's last name when we have pretty much told our friends and family I am not which might confuse them... What are other ways people announce the bride and groom?
    Posted by mandi921vh[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. My advice, just do first names since your names are not changing.

Op, you can announce yourselves however you want. Traditional way, a way you are comfortable, or skip it if you are uncomfortable with it.

Planning Bio
    Married 9/15/11

*This is Not Legal Advice*
  • I think technically you're still the Mrs. His Last Name even if you don't change your name.  They can still announce you as the "Mr. and Mrs." and it will be correct even if you don't drop your maiden name.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:96771736-a3c6-4ccb-a600-06af295ee636">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think technically you're still the Mrs. His Last Name even if you don't change your name.  They can still announce you as the "Mr. and Mrs." and it will be correct even if you don't drop your maiden name.
    Posted by zingaro1000[/QUOTE]

Actually you're not "technically" Mrs. His Lastname if you don't actually change your last name.  People will probably still call you that, but it's not your technical last name.

OP, if you don't want to confuse people by saying Mr. and Mrs. His Lastname, you can just have the DJ say something like "here's the [happy/beautiful/etc] couple, Jane and John!!"  And then you dance in.  No one will probably notice what the announcement is.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:3f309525-7cee-4cf3-a583-96cef5d5af2f">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would it be weird if they announced Mr. HisLastName and Mrs. HerLastName if I plan to keep my birth name? Or is that weird?

<div>i would not be introduced as mrs hislastname because that is never going to be my name.  </div><div>
    </div><div>and everyone in attendance at my wedding would be offended/confused/giggling if anyone called me "mrs".  it's just not me.</div><div>
    </div><div>i'm not sure what you do in instances where you're not changing your name.  does there have to be an announcement?</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:3f309525-7cee-4cf3-a583-96cef5d5af2f">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]Would it be weird if they announced Mr. HisLastName and Mrs. HerLastName if I plan to keep my birth name? Or is that weird?

Nope, not weird at all. You can just preface it with "let's welcome the newly weds..."

Our current joke is that when FI proposed I said I'd be honored to make him Mr. Dr. Myfirstname Mylastname.

I worked too hard for the PHD and the books published under this name to change it now!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:7aa60e50-0757-4c1d-a14d-ac35197b6d37">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think that would be weird, I know people who have kept their last name, and even still at the wedding they were announced as Mr. and Mrs. Smith, don't ruffle any feathers and be particular, I would raise a major eyebrow if you were introduced with different last names, I would kind of think... "then what was that ceremony I just sat through?"
    Posted by scurtis07[/QUOTE]

Huh?  It's a waste of your time to go to a wedding when the woman doesn't change her name?  Being introduced by a name that is not your own is ridiculous and confusing. 

We were not introduced because we had the ceremony in the same room as the dinner and we just sat down after exchanging vows, but if we did have an introduction it would have just been "Fang & H."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:9ad99413-5824-4876-9e26-16b160f2217f">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Announcing Bride and Groom : Huh?  It's a waste of your time to go to a wedding when the woman doesn't change her name?  Being introduced by a name that is not your own is ridiculous and confusing.  We were not introduced because we had the ceremony in the same room as the dinner and we just sat down after exchanging vows, but if we did have an introduction it would have just been "Fang & H."
    Posted by fangsiting[/QUOTE]

I have no problem with people keeping their own names, but I do think it's odd to be introduced into the reception with different names. I'm not really sure why, it just seems odd to me. You could always just be introduced by first names only, or even just "bride and groom".
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:9ad99413-5824-4876-9e26-16b160f2217f">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Announcing Bride and Groom : Huh?  It's a waste of your time to go to a wedding when the woman doesn't change her name?  Being introduced by a name that is not your own is ridiculous and confusing.  We were not introduced because we had the ceremony in the same room as the dinner and we just sat down after exchanging vows, but if we did have an introduction it would have just been "Fang & H."
    Posted by fangsiting[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree, this is a pretty appalling point of view. FI knows that even if I do end up changing my name (still haven't decided if I'm keeping mine, adding his, or switching to his), there's no way we'll be introduced as Mr. and Mrs. HisFirst HisLast. We're going to do, the bride and groom (or the newlyweds) MyFirst and HisFirst. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:7aa60e50-0757-4c1d-a14d-ac35197b6d37">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would raise a major eyebrow if you were introduced with different last names, I would kind of think... "then what was that ceremony I just sat through?"

Phew!  I'm thanking my lucky stars that my marriage is 100% valid because I made the choice to take my husband's name.  To think that a bride would ever waste her guests' time by having them sit through a ceremony when she had no intention of changing her last name!!!   ::eyeroll::

Unless I'm quite mistaken, a marriage is about the union of two people, not two names.  You shouldn't make such ignorant comments.
    [QUOTE]I think that would be weird, I know people who have kept their last name, and even still at the wedding they were announced as Mr. and Mrs. Smith, don't ruffle any feathers and be particular, I would raise a major eyebrow if you were introduced with different last names, I would kind of think... "then what was that ceremony I just sat through?"

Seriously?  And here I was thinking that marriage was about the union between two people.  I don't remember marriage requiring the changing of names.  In some countries and cultures, there is a social but not a legal name change, but I think those marriages are still valid and the weddings worth attending.
  • Whatever names the bride and groom choose to have announced as they walk into the reception doesn't make their marriage any less valid.
  • Or more valid.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:7aa60e50-0757-4c1d-a14d-ac35197b6d37">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:

Uh, the point of the ceremony was to, you know, get married. What a ridiculous statement. I can't imagine why anyone would be announced as Mr. and Mrs. Smith when she's not going to be Mrs. Smith.

To the poster who asked about being introduced as Mr. Smith and Mrs. Jones -- that IS kind of weird because most people who keep their own names choose to go by Ms., not Mrs. But if you want Mrs., go ahead.

We were announced something like: "...for the first time as a married couple, Jane Smith and John Doe."
  • I thought that Mrs. implied married and Ms. implied unmarried regardless if the woman takes her husbands last name or keeps her own...
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:1431d808-6a82-47c0-8941-e864bd59afb2">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Announcing Bride and Groom : I think that would be weird, I know people who have kept their last name, and even still at the wedding they were announced as Mr. and Mrs. Smith, don't ruffle any feathers and be particular, I would raise a major eyebrow if you were introduced with different last names, I would kind of think... "then what was that ceremony I just sat through?"

1955 called. It wants you to come home.

And ditto Tide's "For the first time as a married couple, John Smith and Jane Doe!"
  • CMGr- No one attending my wedding would be thinking about the Latin phrases and translations of the Carmina Burana (O Fortuna)... and if they were, they would know that our senses of humor would see the song as ironic.
    Judge us not. :-)
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:398bcec8-1df1-4b75-aa8f-94d03a433f15">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought that Mrs. implied married and Ms. implied unmarried regardless if the woman takes her husbands last name or keeps her own...

I was always under the impression that Mrs. means married, Miss is unmarried, and Ms. can be anything, which is why most people use it if they don't know someone. That way they won't be assuming a woman is married or not, and won't have to deal with the awkwardness of being wrong.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:398bcec8-1df1-4b75-aa8f-94d03a433f15">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]I thought that Mrs. implied married and Ms. implied unmarried regardless if the woman takes her husbands last name or keeps her own...

Ms. was originally supposed to just be the equivalent of Mr. -- an honorific for a woman that had nothing to do with marital status. But unfortunately it never really caught on -- way too many women way too happy about becoming a Mrs. who didn't want to give up that badge of honor (yes, that is sarcasm). It's still used that way in a business sense and it's the usual title used in business situations, but not so much socially.

Socially, it's typically used for women who are single, divorced, or married and kept their own names. And there are some people do use it for women across the board.

I've never actually met a married woman who kept her own name who chooses to go by Mrs. I'm sure that some exist, but it's not the norm.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_announcing-bride-groom?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:0e46bda7-4d1c-415a-887b-d365fbc95fe9Post:d5f88577-0cb5-4aa4-a1bf-e5b6465b030f">Re: Announcing Bride and Groom</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Announcing Bride and Groom : I was always under the impression that Mrs. means married, Miss is unmarried, and Ms. can be anything, which is why most people use it if they don't know someone. That way they won't be assuming a woman is married or not, and won't have to deal with the awkwardness of being wrong.
    Posted by qwerty777[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY!

We're being introduced at the reception as...
    "the newlyweds...jen and don"

I will be taking his last name, but I think this sounds more modern and "us" then the traditional "mr. & mrs. newlastname"
    imageAnniversary
  • Add us to the list of married couples who used "It is my pleasure to introduce, for the first time as husband and wife, MrOhwhynot Hislastname and MsOhwhynot Mylastname."   Or maybe it was just our first names - I don't really remember.  In any event, that statement about marriage = same last name is just plain silly. 

It's not even intelligent enough to be offensive. 
  • I just wasn't sure if it was appropriate to say .. Mr Jeremy and Jessie  Last name or if you should say Mr Jeremy and Mrs Jessie Last name?

JennaV.. What back street song? I am still trying to figure out what song we will be entering into.. I kinda want something funny and cute.

Photobucket We're Married!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards