Christian Weddings

Contemporary songs from hymns?

Hey girls, I am hoping you very smart ladies can help me out.  J listens to, and prefers, very contemporary Christian music, while I am a more traditional gal.  I am not opposed to contemporary songs, and he is not opposed to traditional music either. 

We are looking for some more updated songs that are based off traditional hymns so that we can start planning out wedding music (we need to have a list to the church by the end of May to be approved by the pastor(s) so that we can go looking for a DJ/ceremony musician).  We'd like to be able to download them and put them onto a CD to play in the car this weekend (roadtrip to home! =]) so things that are hard to find/brand new are probably not good for us - at least this weekend.

Thanks in advance and God bless!!

***raise your glass if you are wrong in all the right ways***
oh noes, sweetpea UPDATED her planning bio

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Contemporary songs from hymns?

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The ones I can think of from church are:

Amazing Grace - the Chris Tomlin version

New Doxology (the contemporary part is "Praise God, praise God, the one who saved my soul.  praise God, praise God, praise God from whom all blessings flow")

Jesus Paid It All (the contemporary part is "Oh Praise the One Who paid my debt and raised this life up from the dead....)
  • edited December 2011
    I am drawing a complete blank at the moment, but I just wanted to say I realy love the new doxology song. 
  • TwylaB123TwylaB123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You might try "Before the Throne of God Above".  I'm not sure of the composer, but I know SonicFlood has recorded it.
  • felkelsfelkels member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Look at Jadin Lavic (spelling)  His first CD was old hymns, but I think he does them in a more contemporary way that make people today want to listen.  I say it like that beause I remember singing some of the songs on that cd when I was a kid, and they have the nestaga factor, but at the same time, they are played on the radio today and loved...same songs, but done today.  They didn't sound like that when I was a kid in church!  That could work for you.  Good Luck!
  • dvanderschaafdvanderschaaf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not sure if its too late, but check out the cd "Hymns: Ancient and Modern" by Passion. They have great ones on there. A friend used "Praise to the Lord the Almighty." It was beautiful. Selah also has a cd "Greatest Hymns" with a bunch of modern versions of older hymns. I hope the helps! We are having Chris Tomlin's version of "All the Way My Savior Leads Me" at ours!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards