Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Cruises and motion sickness

Reading through here, it sounds like cruises are a fun and relatively affordable option to honeymoon and it really appeals to me. I love the water and like the idea of seeing a lot of places in one trip without having to worry about driving or anything, and of paying one price rather than racking things up.

Problem is, my fiance gets motion sickness ridiculously easily. He can even get nauseous on the freeway, or with him driving. He can't read or really look down while the car's moving at all. He's been on boats that made him feel sick as well but not a cruise.

He thinks maybe it would be okay out on the open ocean where there's less waves but I'd be really worried about him being miserable the whole time. Neither of us have been on a cruise so it's really hard to gauge. It's really hard for me to even wrap my head around because I never ever get sick (grew up making road trips through the redwoods, I was trained well lol).

Does anybody else get sick really easily? How did you do? There's always medication for this but then you just sleep the whole time...
And if you should die before me, ask if you can take a friend. Pick a flower, close your eyes,and drift away- STP
June siggy challenge!

Re: Cruises and motion sickness

• Options
    I think there are some non-drowsy motion sickness medicines, but I don't think he could drink while taking them. I could be wrong though but I always make sure not to drink when I've taken that kind of medicine.

Anyway, I've been on a cruise and I get somewhat motion sick in general (can't read in a car, but I can in a plane) but barely noticed it at all on the cruise. The ships are HUGE and you barely feel them moving at all. The one cruise we went from New York City to Florida and the Bahamas in May and the weather was still a little cold, and even cruising through the Atlantic you could barely feel any movement. The only time I found myself getting a little motion sick was in the main dining room on our return trip, and I took a dramamine and was fine. Other than that no problems!
  • Options
    Ditto pp, I've never had a problem with motion sickness on a cruise. The ships are so huge you can't even tell you're moving until you go out onto the deck and feel the breeze. It's funny that K Byte mentioned the dining room, for some reason that's the only time I've ever felt a bit woozy too was in the dining room which is usually in the back of the ship. It was never enough to make me feel sick, and if it had they have an infirmary on board that you can visit and they can give you pills or the patch and send you back on your way to enjoy your vacation.

FI popped some dramamine before our first trip together, and it didn't make him sleepy at all. Just make sure you guys pack plenty of motion sickness aids and that they are the non-drowsy kind and he should be fine. I've heard the patch you put behind your ear is great! HTH!
  • Options
    the less drowsy dramamine still makes you tired-which is why it's not 'non-drowsy'.
    ginger pills and gum work wonders for nausea.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cruises-motion-sickness?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:11Discussion:b55f5a35-afbf-4027-9e5d-8ae5e1f75a5dPost:3e71fb97-014e-40d9-bb69-9ea29cc4428c">Cruises and motion sickness</a>:
    [QUOTE]without having to worry about driving or anything, and of paying one price rather than racking things up. Posted by Piru[/QUOTE]

this isn't exactly true. alcohol isn't included (I don't find it to be any more than home-less actually) and excursions aren't included either.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_honeymoon_cruises-motion-sickness?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:11Discussion:b55f5a35-afbf-4027-9e5d-8ae5e1f75a5dPost:fc9a88f6-e3ce-4814-8525-f1c2d84ba76c">Re: Cruises and motion sickness</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Cruises and motion sickness : this isn't exactly true. alcohol isn't included (I don't find it to be any more than home-less actually) and excursions aren't included either.
    Posted by alithebride[/QUOTE]

Ditto this! I didn't notice OP mentioned that before or it just didn't register. Yes, cruises seem like a cheaper option, but there are a lot of extras to factor in after the base price of the cruise. You have to pay fuel charges, taxes, and plane tickets just to get to the port if you aren't lucky enough to live near one. Then once you're on the boat, there are daily fees and gratuities you pay that are normally charged to your room. You have a room attendant, waiters each night, head waiter, etc... that all depend on tips for the majority of their pay. Then there's the price of alcholic drinks and soda onboard which isn't included in your cruise price. Neither are photos on-board or on-shore excursions. I don't want to scare off any potential cruisers I just want to make sure people know this before going or they'll be unpleasantly surprised with all the "extra" they'll have to pay for. HTH!
  • Options
    I've been on 5 cruises and got seasick on one.  Meclizine is the main ingredient in dramamine and can be purchased cheaply at drug stores for generic, no drowsy side effect this way.  If you do choose to go on a cruise take ginger tablets/capsule for 10 days prior, all during cruise and at least one week after you get back.  Ginger helps naturally control some of the motion sickness feeling.  If you do feels a little nauseous, eat ginger snap cookies for peppermint candies, they are a quick way to help calm the feeling.

• Options
    Take dramamine just in case.  FI also gets seasickness.  We've been on two cruises and he's done just fine on both, didn't even need the dramamine.  You really are on just a big floating "city."  I've been on 9 cruises.  Only once did I feel a little sick because the boat was rocking more then usual.... and when I say rocking, it really isn't as noticeable as you think it will be.

The last cruise FI wasn't feeling good the first day, but his ears hadn't popped from plane yet so his head felt congested... plus the first day of our cruise  we were in St. Thomas and he proposed, so I told him afterwards it was his nerves that must have made him feel sick, haha.
  • Options
    PiruPiru member
    First Comment
    Thanks for all the advice! I thought the extra fees depended on what cruise you picked although I'm sure it's not completely avoidable. I'll have to bookmark this thread, can probably use the anti nausea advice even if we never do go on a cruise.
    And if you should die before me, ask if you can take a friend. Pick a flower, close your eyes,and drift away- STP
    June siggy challenge!
  • Options
    My sister had really bad motion sickness on our first cruise. But in my experience with her and others on the ship, your body gets used to the motions within a day or two, so after those initial days, you really won't feel the effects anymore. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards