Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

huge dress size issue!

everyone complains about their dress sizes begin 2-3 sizes larger than street size, but in my case it's ridiculous. My clothes (that I currently wear) are between 6-10, with pants always being 6, and blouses/shirts 8 or 10. But my dress is....18!!!!!! The store said that they go by the largest measurement, which in my case is my bust (I'm a 36C... so big, but not huge!), and that the waist and hips would be too large for sure and would need to be fitted. Does anyone have advice? Can this be possible? I don't care so much about the number in size but I'm wondering if I should insist on a 16 at least to reduce alterations?! Any ideas? My dress is Private Label by G - strapless but no corset top.
THANKS!!

Re: huge dress size issue!

• Options
    I would ask to see the size chart yourself or call the manufacturer. I'm the same size and a size 10 had plenty of room for me. Every manufacturer is different, of course, but that's bizarre. I would wonder if the shop was trying to con you out of some serious cash for alterations.

What size was the sample you tried on?
  • Options
    I would go with whatever the store recommends, as they should (hopefully) be most trustworthy and experienced.

I'd rather have a dress big too big and need alterations than too small and not fit!

That being said, I am typically a street size 4 or 6 and my wedding dress is a size 12
  • Options
    when I ordered mine, the lady showed me the size chart and talked me through it.  Is there a big difference in sizes?  I'm a 6 in Pronovias, but I was right between a 4 and a 6 (which in their sizing is only 1/2" -1" difference).  Not much at all.  

Are your measurements really far off for the hips and waist?  What style is it?  Hips aren't usually a huge deal with a ballgown or an a-line. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Were you wearing good foundation garments when they measured you?  If your bust was not supported properly it will measure larger than if you have the right bra on.  That might be part of the problem.  It does seem kinda big if you're a 10 a 14 at the most should work.
  • Options
    It definitely depends on the designer....they all have different ways to determine sizes. I'm pretty much the same size as you and in one designer I would have been a 16. It really does seem weird, but you want it to fit for your biggest measurement and you'll just have to get it altered to fit elsewhere.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_huge-dress-size-issue?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:459015d1-7b69-4319-ab29-5f6ecbc0e39cPost:fdb29c7a-c57b-492a-9358-c3b001766022">Re: huge dress size issue!</a>:
    [QUOTE]It definitely depends on the designer....they all have different ways to determine sizes. I'm pretty much the same size as you and in one designer I would have been a 16. It really does seem weird, but you want it to fit for your biggest measurement and you'll just have to get it altered to fit elsewhere.
    Posted by caseyandlizzie[/QUOTE]
     this: I am a street size 10 and my dress is a 14, but I also had to fit my 34f chest into the dress. So my dress is bigger up top then through the waist.
  • Options
    I would ask to see the size chart of the brand you are getting to see the actual measurements. My largest part was my waist (I don't really have one so it's almost the same as my hips!) which was a size 6 or 8. I'm a street size 0 and my other measurements were a 2. I chose a 4 and it actually almost fit perfectly as-is. It really depends on the brand.

Good luck!
  • Options
    well, I googled the sizing chart and if I found the right one then they did it right looking at the largest measurement which in my bust. And they were a bit conservative - rounding up a lot rather than down very little. So, I guess I'll have to live with this.
    The sample I tried on was an 8 and it didn't close but fit around my hips perfectly (though it is fitted through the hip). That's another reason I wonder why there'd be such a big difference.
    Thanks for the advice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards