Attire & Accessories Forum

Length of Bridesmaids Dresses

Hello, 

I am planning my wedding and wondering about rules regarding the length of the bridesmaids dresses. I haven't talked to my maids yet but I will be taking their thoughts into consideration.My wedding will be in the spring or summer. 

I was thinking knee length because that is easier find a place to wear it again

We haven't established a theme yet.
(also what are your ideas of what constitutes a wedding as formal or semi formal)

what are your thoughts?

Re: Length of Bridesmaids Dresses

• My wedding is in June this year in Upstate NY and I chose knee length cocktail dresses in a cotton fabric because it gets so hot that time of year.  They are black and definitely wearable again, 2 of my bridesmaids already have plans to wear them again because they are such a basic black dress.  Where in Upstate NY are you?
  • I think knee length is appropriate for that time of year. Plus you are right they can wear a short dress again but if you do go forlong dresses they can get them altered after the wedding to be a short dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • adl734adl734 member
    First Comment
    It might depend on the girls you are having in your party.  My Bridesmaids prefered something longer because - no word of lie - they feel they have ugly knees and didn't want them in the pictures.  Long dresses can always be shortened, but if a person isn't comfortable wearing a short dress they can't get it lengthened to wear again.  I told my maids they could have any length but everyone had to have the same length.  Thankfully there was no issues with having a long dress.  (I didn't vote since the decision on length might need be decided on by your maids.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • that is very true about the alterations. I hadn't thought about that.

LOL "ugly knees"  - to funny! and also yes I will let them have say with out a doubt. I would still like to have an idea of what I want so from there I can compromise with them. :)

Keep the ideas coming please :)
  • i am getting married april 30, 2011 and my girls are wearing long dresses. for me, it was a matter of formality.....it is also a style that could be shortened and used later. all the girls love them!

im not sure its a matter of short/long per say, but it depends on the style/theme of your wedding and what the girls are comfortable in. Uncomfortable girls comes across in photos!
  • My girls are all wearing knee length dresses at my wedding in a few weeks. I ditto pp about being hot and uncomfortable. I think short dresses can be just as formal with the right accessories, etc.
  • megilbmegilb member
    First Comment
    My wedding is June 26th and my girls are wearing floor length dresses. Were having our recpetion at a formal classy- like place, so floor length dresses are more appropriate. But i really dont think theres a right/wrong answer here. Both are appropriate. I think if my wedding was during the day then short dresses are nice, and at night, floor length. But it depends on the formalityand more importantly what YOU want!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I agree with Meg- there's really no 'right / wrong' answer.  The length of the dresses you choose should match the formality of the wedding, not the season (you'd just probably select a lighter fabric).

I'm more old-school and believe that floor-length dresses, not knee-length, are formal.  I have yet to see a truly formal wedding where the BMs were in anything other than floor length.  But if you're going for a semi-formal event, knee-length would be perfect!

I also wouldn't be *too* concerned with them wearing it again.  It's always a nice goal but I don't think many bridesmaids expect to wear their dresses ever again - I know I've been in plenty of weddings where the bride has promised me up and down I'd wear the dress again... not so much, haha.  But it's ok, it just goes with the territory.
  • Here you can find all kinds of wedding dresses which you may like

www.brideswardrobe.com/9-bridesmaid-dress

ww.vivebridal.com/prom-dress-c-10.html

• I agree there is no right or wrong answer. I'm getting married in 2 months (august) and decided on floor length dresses because of the formality. It is semi formal and I just love full length BM dresses much more then tea length ones, makes them stand out from the other guests even though they will anyway. Ours is also inside so worrying about it being too hot wasn't really an issue.
  • It depends on what  kind of bridesmaids dresses you want them to look like, i think.

• It's not about the time of year.  If there are "rules" they are about the time of day and formality of the event.  If you are having a very formal evening wedding then you should have floor length dresses.  If not, it doesn't really matter.
    Married 10/2/10
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_length-of-bridesmaids-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:4fa54120-c658-4510-8a13-9df0003d79f4Post:78d5313b-918a-4578-8e72-94ef72162478">Re: Length of Bridesmaids Dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with Meg- there's really no 'right / wrong' answer.  The length of the dresses you choose should match the formality of the wedding, not the season (you'd just probably select a lighter fabric). I'm more old-school and believe that floor-length dresses, not knee-length, are formal.  I have yet to see a truly formal wedding where the BMs were in anything other than floor length.  But if you're going for a semi-formal event, knee-length would be perfect! I also wouldn't be *too* concerned with them wearing it again.  It's always a nice goal but I don't think many bridesmaids expect to wear their dresses ever again - I know I've been in plenty of weddings where the bride has promised me up and down I'd wear the dress again... not so much, haha.  But it's ok, it just goes with the territory.
    Posted by jennylove810[/QUOTE]

This.  I also agree that it's about the formality of the wedding...and I, too, have yet to see a formal wedding where a knee-length BM dress worked.

I'm getting married in August and my girls will be in floor-length chiffon dresses that are very light-weight.  I tried it on, too, so that I knew if my BM were being honest about the dress or just giving me a line.

I can't say that I've ever gone into being a BM with the intention of wearing my BM dress again.  While every bride says it can be cut down and worn again...the BM dress always ends up in the back of the closet with the rest of them.
    Anniversary
  • my girls are wearing knee length organza dress for my aug wedding! it's a semi-formal wedding and plus, i will change into a tea-length dress for reception, so knee length works perfectly for us~!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards