Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh

Marriage License

Does anyone know if you can get marriage licenses in PA on Saturdays?

Also, does the entire state have a 3 day waiting period?

RT + JB
Wedding Countdown Ticker
The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.

Re: Marriage License

• amy727amy727 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's just during the week and yes the whole state has the 3 day waiting period.  One thing to keep in mind is that you don't need to get the marriage license in the county you are getting married in. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • gmc22gmc22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amy - I didn't know that... so we can get ours in Philly??
  • amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    GMC-  Yep, I plan on going to Norristown next week.  Also it's cheaper to go in Montgomery County (Norristown) than Philadelphia County. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure the entire state doesn't have the 3 day waiting period, I remember someone saying she got hers in Philly and didn't have to wait.
    imageimageimageimage

• edited December 2011

One thing to note about licenses...they can be issued in any county but are valid for the whole state.  And the fees vary also:

Butler Co - $60
    Allegheny Co - $75
    Westmoreland Co - $45

so you can save yourself a couple of bucks if you're close to a neighboring county with a lower fee.

• amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    I looked into Philadelphia county and Montgomery county and they both have waiting periods. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Must have been a different eastern PA county, then.
    imageimageimageimage

• amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    Waiting Period in Pennsylvania:
    There's a three (3) day waiting period in Pennsylvania.

You can request a waiver of the waiting period. Send a letter as early as possible addressed to the County Register, requesting a Waiver and your reason why. Your letter should contain both names, a telephone number, proof of your wedding date (a wedding invitation will work), and a return address so a letter of confirmation to be sent to you. There is an additional $15.00 fee in cash only for this service.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • amy727amy727 member
    edited December 2011
    jlbaxter-  When you apply for your marriage certificate you can take it with you that day.  The waiting period just means you have to wait 3 days before the ceremony is performed. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The hard part is getting up to PA on a weekday. I wish I would've thought of it last week!
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    The only item I will not compromise on...my bouquet of all purple tulips wrapped in a swatch from my Mom's wedding dress.
  • edited December 2011
    Does anyone know when the waiting period starts. Like, if we got our license on Wednesday morning, would we be good to go on Saturday?
    RT + JB
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • carcrashheartcarcrashheart member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_marriage-license-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:116Discussion:fe2d2ec9-8533-4d3f-8180-fac988ed3152Post:284bbea7-8fb0-47ac-a9c6-7987941b226e">Re: Marriage License</a>:
    [QUOTE]jlbaxter-  When you apply for your marriage certificate you can take it with you that day.  The waiting period just means you have to wait 3 days before the ceremony is performed. 
    Posted by amy727[/QUOTE]

This is not true, you do NOT take it with you that day. You can either pick it up 3 days later or have them mail it to you when it becomes available 3 days later. You don't walk away with anything that day, except for the receipt of payment.

I think there was a knottie that requested the waiting period be waived for some reason and it was granted. All of the counties across the state have the same policy for the waiting period.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ash2985Ash2985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_pennsylvania-pittsburgh_marriage-license-4?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:116Discussion:fe2d2ec9-8533-4d3f-8180-fac988ed3152Post:665be8f3-7e8e-4438-9dd4-dbf83e388b6c">Re: Marriage License</a>:
    [QUOTE]Does anyone know when the waiting period starts. Like, if we got our license on Wednesday morning, would we be good to go on Saturday?
    Posted by jlbaxter33[/QUOTE]
    I know I'm super duper late to this, but we went up to Butler County (cheaper, and I think Allegheny takes longer to get your marriage cert back to you after the wedding now b/c of something, I can't remember what, Rev Mark explained it though).  We went and turned in the stuff on January 27 (a Thursday), and could've picked it up on the 31 (a Monday).  You don't get it on the spot.  

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • edited December 2011
    FYI, Washington County is 40 dollars.  Also, on the washington county website they have a chart illustrating when your license will come in.   We applied on a Thursday and it will be there Monday :).  Anyone can pick it up as long as they have our receipt.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards