New Jersey

When to do hair and makeup trials?

Hey girls,

My wedding is at the end of May and I'm starting to look into hair and makeup.  Since I'll be booking hair stylists and makeup artists I've never worked with before, I definitely want to do trials before I book.  But since my wedding day is 8 months away, I still want to do a trial close to my wedding date when I have my headpiece and veil.  Is it typical to have 2 trials?  I don't think I should wait much longer since some people I've contacted recently are already booked.  Please let me know how you worked out or are going to work out your trials and booking hair and makeup.

Thanks!!

Re: When to do hair and makeup trials?

• I did two hair trials with my chosen person - one before I booked her and one last weekend to finalize. It's expensive but I think a worthy investment to make sure you'll have it the way you want it on your wedding day. For makeup, I think you only need one trial, which you can do now.

If you need recos, I'm working with Jeanine LaMacchia for hair and Gianna Giacona for makeup - both amazing. Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    205 invited image
    160 are ready to party image
    45 are missing out image
    0 can't find their mailbox image
    RSVP Deadline: October 1, 2012
  • Agreed.  I did two hair trials too.  One last Oct and one last month.  Donna from Amazing Face and Luscious Locks is great!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also did two 1 in January before I booked and then one 2 weeks ago to finalized everything it was well worth it. I second Donna she is great!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker 192 Invited image
    65 Are ready to party! image
    4 Are party poopers! image
    123 Have me stalking the mailbox.image
  • I did 2. One 6 months out at the booking and another the week of the wedding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I did one about 2 months before the wedding. (Our wedding is 11/17) If you can, try and schedule your hair and makeup trial the same day as your first fitting. I did that and it helped SO much. I know for sure that my hair and makeup will go with my dress. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've heard so many great things about Donna.  I e-mailed her last week, called her yesterday and never heard back...I'm assuming she's booked for my wedding day. 

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_when-to-do-hair-and-makeup-trials?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:c7b98d4a-556c-4c76-aad7-b9086154e421Post:3920a105-11f7-43c3-9598-785a936d1b6c">Re: When to do hair and makeup trials?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Agreed.  I did two hair trials too.  One last Oct and one last month.  Donna from Amazing Face and Luscious Locks is great!
    Posted by dsimone43[/QUOTE]
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_when-to-do-hair-and-makeup-trials?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:c7b98d4a-556c-4c76-aad7-b9086154e421Post:ba0c4e7b-7262-4721-80b6-76b2bfd0ab0d">Re: When to do hair and makeup trials?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I did one about 2 months before the wedding. (Our wedding is 11/17) <strong>If you can, try and schedule your hair and makeup trial the same day as your first fitting.</strong> I did that and it helped SO much. I know for sure that my hair and makeup will go with my dress. 
    Posted by tropicalpalmleaf[/QUOTE]

<div>I booked both my hair and makeup 15 months out because I wanted to make sure I got the people I wanted.  For hair, I had a free consultation with the stylist.  I didn't feel a need to do a full-on trial since it was so far out I didn't even have a dress or any idea how I wanted to do my hair.  For makeup I defintely did a trial before booking- and I scheduled it on a day when I had an event to go to that night so I could test the longevity of the makeup before I went ahead and booked.  As PP suggested, try and coordinate your final trials the day of one of your fittings.  I did both hair and makeup 1 month out from my wedding day and then went for my 2nd fitting. This was really helpful because I wound up not liking my original hair style once I saw the whole look and was able to change it before the wedding day.  </div>
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • I booked my regular hair stylist for my wedding day.  I didn't go on my trial until a week before my wedding.  I guess that is mostly because I have gone to her for a while and really trusted her.  I was very happy with how everything turned out..  
    Married April 27th 2012
  • i also used Donna, I would say try her again, she was out of town one time i tried to contact her.  
    I did a trial with her in april (the day of my e-session) booked her after the trial and did not do a 2nd trial as i liked the first one. my wedding was this past august.  

good luck
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards